RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup - Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups. Equipment installation questions belong here: Radio Equipment Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2017, 9:45 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default 2013 F-150 Motorola CDM1250 Install

I purchased a Motorola CDM1250 a while ago for a dedicated GMRS rig and finally got around to installing it in my 2103 F-150.

I chose to install the radio in the center console, so I made a mount from some 3/4" MDF and some 1" pine:

I laid on a few coats of Krylon textured flat black paint after a quick test fit. The whole unit drops in and out of the center console easily and fits snugly inside. To power the radio (and future radios) I installed a 50A sub panel inside the center console. I ran 10ga wire from the battery, through the firewall, and up the transmission hump to get power to the panel:

For now I'm running a mag mount with a 5/8 wave antenna. My truck has a sunroof which complicates antenna placement a little bit. My work has underground parking, and the truck has about 1" of clearance with the stock ride height and any roof mounted antenna will be damaged if it is not removed before entering the garage. Not sure what I want to do about that yet... I'm also planning on installing a scanner in the console as well, using a front fender mounted antenna placed near the stock AM/FM antenna which I have removed. Also on the todo list is adding a tray that will fill in the empty space around the radios, hide the fuse panel, and help regain some storage space.
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2017, 10:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That looks awesome! Good pick with the radio too.
Old 11-19-2017, 5:07 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Looks good Matt! I was thinking of doing something similar with my Expedition.

There are low profile antennas like the Laird Phantom that work pretty well for your situation. Hopefully they would be short enough to allow you to use the garage at work.

http://www.carmachicago.com
Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG View Post
Looks good Matt! I was thinking of doing something similar with my Expedition.

There are low profile antennas like the Laird Phantom that work pretty well for your situation. Hopefully they would be short enough to allow you to use the garage at work.
Thatís what Iím looking to do since I only plan on using GMRS for car to car communications on road trips.
Old 11-21-2017, 8:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

FYI the nipple on the top of the firewall boot is designed as a cable pass thru. you slit that and feed the wire
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2017, 2:17 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
FYI the nipple on the top of the firewall boot is designed as a cable pass thru. you slit that and feed the wire
Nice, thanks. I will be installing an antenna near the hood and I will run the coax through there.
Old 12-09-2017, 2:46 PM
Database Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Great job! You definitely took the time to do it right!

Mike

Tags
cdm1250, gmrs, motorola