RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup - Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups. Equipment installation questions belong here: Radio Equipment Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2018, 5:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Chrysler MiniShack

Chrysler Minivan center console:
Kenwood TM-D710A VHF/UHF
Uniden BCD-996XT Scanner
Cobra 29LX CB
Precision Power audio amplifiers

Audio output from the radios goes into line-level converters, then gets Y'd into the amplifier channels that power the stock dashboard speakers. Since I can't hear the radios unless the stereo is turned on anyway, I took the remote turn-on lead for the amplifiers from the stereo's head unit and ran it to a 30a relay that powers a RigRunner power supply that power the radios. Now everything turns off together when I turn the van off and take the key out. Works great! It's all powered from a distribution block with 4 gauge cable straight from the battery. And now that State law has changed to read that firearms can be kept in "any closable compartment", I had just enough space to put a double-stack .45 w/ 2 mags in the push-to-open center console compartment. There's a grill for the back that's held in place with the magnets you can see in the last pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by KM4REG; 08-29-2018 at 1:15 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2018, 5:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Nice!!!
Old 08-28-2018, 9:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Very nice! I like the console, did you build that yourself?

var radioList = new List<Radio>();
Old 08-28-2018, 9:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MFC View Post
Very nice! I like the console, did you build that yourself?
Thanks~
Yep, 1/2" oak. I wish I had made it a little bit larger though. It took some doing to stuff everything inside.
Old 08-29-2018, 3:58 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Do you have any exterior photos / antennas pics?
DuPage County, IL USA
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2018, 10:15 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Well done! Very neat and clean!
Old 08-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Let's keep this on topic to the radio installation please.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 08-29-2018, 1:03 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes Rich but an antenna is part of the install also. Some DIY may not know the in and outs and how to get around all the new side air bags that can go off and kill you during your install.
Old 08-29-2018, 1:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddrousa View Post
Yes Rich but an antenna is part of the install also. Some DIY may not know the in and outs and how to get around all the new side air bags that can go off and kill you during your install.
What are you talking about?
Old 08-29-2018, 1:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

this thread looks scrubbed clean
Old 08-29-2018, 2:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9WSS View Post
Do you have any exterior photos / antennas pics?
Nothing too exciting, Laird wideband for the scanner with a GPS puck next to it, SS something or another for the dual-band that came included with one of my radios, and some Acme brand CB antenna off of ebay....
And yes, I deleted the other pics so people will stop asking stupid questions and making dumb remarks...
Jeez some of you guys are paranoid, but I don't live in fear, but thanks anyway for the concern~
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2018, 9:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Kevin if doing permanent antenna installs you could trigger the side airbags. It would just be good info if someone listed how they did their antenna install. Prying off the trim could trip the side airbag. Just a thought. But now I see mag mounts. Sorry if how I am trained by my Fire Department makes people think I am paranoid. I have seen pictures of what a airbag will do.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Sorry if how I am trained by my Fire Department makes people think I am paranoid. I have seen pictures of what a airbag will do.
Sorry, I wasn't at all referring to your concern about accidentally triggering airbags, it was directed towards some previous posts that the I guess the admins removed. All valid concerns nonetheless. Luckily, there's no sidebags to deal with here, but for sure, gotta be careful around them. I did car audio for years and was always aware of the potential danger. Definitely keep your face out of the way when you have to get "persuasive" with those stubborn body panel clips.
Old 09-14-2018, 9:06 AM

We do lots of permanent antenna installs with vehicles with side airbags. PLEASE disconnect battery before any work and it will be fine.. My two cents...73
Old 09-14-2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM4REG View Post
Thanks~
Yep, 1/2" oak. I wish I had made it a little bit larger though. It took some doing to stuff everything inside.
"It took some doing to stuff everything inside the console"

That is for sure, not much space there.
Old 09-14-2018, 3:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Very nice install. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Russell

BCD436HP HP-1 BCD396T BCT-7 BC350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A YAESU FTM3200DR FT70DR
Old 09-15-2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotech181 View Post
We do lots of permanent antenna installs with vehicles with side airbags. PLEASE disconnect battery before any work and it will be fine.. My two cents...73
Isn't there a lot of unwanted things happening when doing that? Clock resets, AM/FM radio looses its preset channels, car alarm freaks out. If you have a cellular help/crash service it dials up the emergency central and reports that someone cut the battery cord, presumably in an attemp to disable the alarm and steal your car?

I thought that modern cars had an installation/maintanance mode you enable by fiddling with the ignition key, or some other buttons in combination with the blinker arm to disable all airbags and alarms until next time ignition is turned on.

/Ubbe
Old 09-15-2018, 6:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

UBBE we have never heard of any other way to kill the airbag system other than disconnect the battery this is what was taught by GM the last class they taught.
Old 09-15-2018, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
If you have a cellular help/crash service it dials up the emergency central and reports that someone cut the battery cord, presumably in an attemp to disable the alarm and steal your car?

I thought that modern cars had an installation/maintanance mode you enable by fiddling with the ignition key, or some other buttons in combination with the blinker arm to disable all airbags and alarms until next time ignition is turned on.

/Ubbe
I've never heard of such a thing.

Such a scenario would cause a problem when someone needs to replace the battery. It would also be an issue for a thief, because if they cut the battery cable, they don't have a way to start the car.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
UBBE we have never heard of any other way to kill the airbag system other than disconnect the battery this is what was taught by GM the last class they taught.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belvdr View Post
I've never heard of such a thing.

Such a scenario would cause a problem when someone needs to replace the battery. It would also be an issue for a thief, because if they cut the battery cable, they don't have a way to start the car.
I've never, either. In fact, on my truck (a '15) if I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, no settings whatsoever are lost - radio memories, clock, seat memories, even the heat/air setting will be exactly as they were when I turned the truck off.