RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup - Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups. Equipment installation questions belong here: Radio Equipment Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 7:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My brother-in-law who’s a studio engineer is hopefully thinking up a (inexpensive) rack mixer/selector to use my old Bose noise cancelling headphones and quickly get audio from any of the receivers - I’ll pass anything useful along if it works well.
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2018, 7:43 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceans777 View Post
My brother-in-law who’s a studio engineer is hopefully thinking up a (inexpensive) rack mixer/selector to use my old Bose noise cancelling headphones and quickly get audio from any of the receivers - I’ll pass anything useful along if it works well.
Speaking of. I just remembered I had this. I've never used it, not sure how useful it will be.
http://www.jei-inc.com/products/ap104r.php
Product Description
The JEI Model AP-104R Audio Panel is a four (4) channel audio switching and control unit. The system has dual front panel stereo outputs for headphones (no speaker). The input selector switches control which channels go to the headphones and the output selectors turn the channel outputs on and off. It also has a serial port for computer controlled operation.
Applications
This unit is designed for military, intelligence and communications audio monitoring applications.

Old 10-11-2018, 7:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

That's exactly the idea - thanks for this info - I'll check this out and it looks like they do quite a few different models too. Very nice equip to have around!
Old 10-11-2018, 8:05 AM
Database Admin

This thing is neat. I can select the sources and they mix together into one headphone output. The individual rear outputs are selectable and remain level independent of volume adjustment. Perfect for toggling a recorder.
Old 10-11-2018, 8:50 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Where to buy one?

I have been following this thread because I'm envious of oceans777's setup. It is neat, compact and looks like it is capable of receiving almost anything. I like the idea of an audio distribution box and the JEI's products may fit the bill in that regard but I can't find a source. Their website does not list retailers that carry their products and a google search came back with nothing beyond their website. Does anyone know where I can buy their gear?
Old 10-11-2018, 8:57 AM
Database Admin

I got mine off Ebay.
Old 10-11-2018, 9:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks ka1njl and I was hoping those of you more experienced, clever than I am might find it an decent solution with ideas for better audio and rack mount options so - perfect.

mancow will know more than I do I'm sure but I hope to call JEI later today or tomorrow- my blind guess is maybe they don't distribute their products and build/sell direct mainly govt and pro. I'll see what I can find out after some meetings this morning and share what I can today or tomorrow (Fri).

J.E.I.
3087 Alhambra Drive
Cameron Park, CA 95682
Telephone
Toll-free: (888) 677-2844
Phone: (530) 677-3210
Old 10-11-2018, 9:23 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Currently there is nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
I got mine off Ebay.
Thanks Mancow for the pointer but currently there is nothing from JEI on ebay. I suspect oceans777 is correct and their stuff is not readily available to ordinary consumers. I'll investigate alternatives and report back with my findings.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Database Admin

I found some others on ebay (other manufacturers) using search terms like RACK MOUNT AUDIO SWITCHER -VIDEO
I think the video type would work as well using just the audio inputs/outputs. Figuring out the configuration you want and number of channels is the main thing I suppose.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-MVX-44-VGA-Audio-Matrix-Switcher-Switch-Rack-Mount-MVX-44/202210268666?hash=item2f14abd5fa:g:tgsAAOSw~4tacKT 8:rk:11f:0
Old 10-11-2018, 11:43 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
I found some others on ebay (other manufacturers) using search terms like RACK MOUNT AUDIO SWITCHER -VIDEO
I think the video type would work as well using just the audio inputs/outputs. Figuring out the configuration you want and number of channels is the main thing I suppose.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-MVX-44-VGA-Audio-Matrix-Switcher-Switch-Rack-Mount-MVX-44/202210268666?hash=item2f14abd5fa:g:tgsAAOSw~4tacKT 8:rk:11f:0
Thanks mancow, I didn't include the words "rack mount" in my search. Including it makes a difference. It's good to see that there are a lot of choices and generally they aren't too expensive.