My set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
Here is my setup. After about a year or so of having my gear just float around on shelves I decided do something a little different. I threw the thought around about rack mounting all my stuff but the cost was a little more then I wanted and I didn't have the tools to machine out the radio faceplates so I came up with this idea. I built the box out of wood and cut the holes for the radios, I then used speaker carpet to give it a nice finish look. I also added a door on the back for maintenance and added an air vent and fans for cooling (not seen in photos).

In case anybody is wondering, the Motorola Sectra's are "reveive only". I personally think they can't compete (audio wise, not user friendly features) with scanners.

Whats inside:

2 Motorola VHF Spectra and 1 Astro Spectra
Uniden BCD996T
Motorola Minitor II w/ amp charger
rigrunner 4005
15 radio shack DC power supply - was gonna go with an Astron but being RX only I thought i'd try this one out. (was on sale)

Attachments

• xP3220036.jpg
    xP3220036.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,470
  • RR2.jpg
    RR2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,462
  • RR3.jpg
    RR3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,589

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Nice looking set up, I like it..What about the antennas what are they hooked up to?

tnf

what did you cover the wood with? is that felt? it looks really nice and clean

SLWilson

I'm lazy....

It looks like a great setup, but, if I'm sitting at a desk, (I'm lazy) I'd hate to lean way over/down to adjust the volume settings etc on those radios near the floor :D

Steve/KB8FAR :)

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
Hey guys, thanks for the comments!

"I'd hate to lean way over/down to adjust the volume settings etc"

- ya, it can be a pain...it's not too bad with the Uniden BCD996T. I have it connected via serial port for computer control.

"what did you cover the wood with?"

- speaker carpet (like a felt) Ordered it from ebay 4ftx15ft for $19.00, worked slick.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
It's Official.....I'm Jealous!

I am in the process of redoing MY shack. Your set up is one of the designs I am considering. How did you do it? Those cut outs look taylor made. Very NICE job overall.
I see you used a rig runner on the electrical side of things, very nice!

Manny

Last edited:

Ebenge

Premium Subscriber
Very Nice setup, but do you have some type of ventilation in the box to cool the radios. I know the Motorola's can produce a lot of heat.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
"do you have some type of ventilation in the box to cool the radios."

- I added a vent on the left side of the box and dual rack mounted fans on the right side (not seen in photos) to get a nice fresh air flow through the box. Keeps things pretty cool...those Spectras can get pretty warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.