2004 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

Hey folks. Well I aquired a "new" Mazda 3 last week, and finally got around to putting a radio in it. I installed a Kenwood TK-790 (remote mount) 45 watt VHF. The tranceiver is in the trunk. Apologies for not having pics of the radio in the trunk, but my camera batteries went dead.

It is a 5 speed, and yes the gear shift does block the display somewhat, but this isn't the most radio friendly vehicle either, lol. I mounted the antennas on L-Brackets. A Maxrad VHF 1/4 wave on the driver side, and an Antennex 800 closed coil on the passenger side. The 800 is for my Pro-97 (not pictured). I usually just let it sit in the cup holder.

And no jokes about not having the guts to drill holes for the antennas, lol. Haven't had a chance to get the guts up. But if I decide to, my better half said she doesn't care because its my car, so ya gotta love that. Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking !!!!

100_0726.jpg

100_0727.jpg

100_0725.jpg

100_0724.jpg

100_0722.jpg

I like the install. I may have to implement some of those ideas on my Camaro. I have a 5 speed as well and my camaro is rather cramped so i can relate to you there.

klinquist

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you could dremel out that plastic piece behind the display to mount it flush :)

SShuster221

Feed and Calls Provider
Feed Provider
Nice install. I thought of doing something there also. There is way for all that to come out. Give it that flush mount look. But i like this. Love the antennas.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Nothing wrong with that install. I normally ride the "hole drilling" train but in this case, those L brackets don't seem too out of place and probably work fairly well RF-wise. The only two things that stick out are the length of that VHF antenna (looks like low split) and the distance between the Kenwood head and the shifter...any busted knuckles yet?

Clean install though...better than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.