RadioShack Discone Antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan_madison

I have been using the antenna (part number 20-043) for 10+ years and it is working fine. Like everything else, I am sure, this won't last forever. Is there anything that I can do (preventative wise) to prolong its life? Thanks.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
If it works for you great! Did you ever ask yourself there might be better? I guess it depends on location and what range of freqs you scan, the coax feed line and what scanner? I had to upgrade my RS 20-043 wasn't doing what I wanted it to do. Currently using the DPD Productions LP and the Miltenna Omni Uhf/VHF base antenna. Getting back to your antenna you might decide to use thread locker glue for the elements? I have heard the bottom ones over time may fall out?

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I had one up on the roof for about 8 years, only problem I ever had was one of the radials separated from the mounting screw. Finally retired it for a newer Diamond D3000N. I probably could have gotten at least another several years with the Radio Shack though. Nothing not to like about Radio Shack discone antennas.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I had one up on the roof for about 8 years, only problem I ever had was one of the radials separated from the mounting screw. Finally retired it for a newer Diamond D3000N. I probably could have gotten at least another several years with the Radio Shack though. Nothing not to like about Radio Shack discone antennas.

Except the radials separating from the mounting screws. I also had that happen--do not over tighten them when assembling. Other discones use solid elements that do not do that.

nyair1

Use thread locker on the radials when you put it together. Ive had one up for 20+ years in Western NY winters without a problem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

nyair1

If it works for you great! Did you ever ask yourself there might be better? I guess it depends on location and what range of freqs you scan, the coax feed line and what scanner? I had to upgrade my RS 20-043 wasn't doing what I wanted it to do. Currently using the DPD Productions LP and the Miltenna Omni Uhf/VHF base antenna. Getting back to your antenna you might decide to use thread locker glue for the elements? I have heard the bottom ones over time may fall out?
What do you think of the Omni X milair antenna? Did you notice a difference from the discone for milar?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Other than physical damage to the antenna (elements getting broken off), weather proofing the coaxial connection would be my biggest concern.
In my experience, hobbyists (including amateur radio operators) usually do not or do a poor job of sealing outdoor connections.

scan_madison

Other than physical damage to the antenna (elements getting broken off), weather proofing the coaxial connection would be my biggest concern.
In my experience, hobbyists (including amateur radio operators) usually do not or do a poor job of sealing outdoor connections.
I have made sure the end of the coaxial cable (along with connector) is not exposed to elements. But the connector on the antenna itself I have no control over. Maybe I can dab some silicone stuff around the central mast where the elements get attached.

As for radials, I was wondering if I can use tape that plumbers use (PTFE thread). This should create tight fit for the radials.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As for radials, I was wondering if I can use tape that plumbers use (PTFE thread). This should create tight fit for the radials.

It would, but it's non-conductive, so may not be a good idea. Threads would probably cut through enough to make contact, though.
Pretty much what you want is to make sure that the elements do not vibrate loose in high winds. If it hasn't happened and they are not currently loose, I'd not mess with it.

scan_madison

It would, but it's non-conductive, so may not be a good idea. Threads would probably cut through enough to make contact, though.
Pretty much what you want is to make sure that the elements do not vibrate loose in high winds. If it hasn't happened and they are not currently loose, I'd not mess with it.
Yes, you are correct. Didn't even think about the thread being non-conductive! One of these days I might just take the antenna down and give a full inspection. If I do decide to use PTFE tape, I will make sure threads of radials are not completely covered. Thanks.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you are correct. Didn't even think about the thread being non-conductive! One of these days I might just take the antenna down and give a full inspection. If I do decide to use PTFE tape, I will make sure threads of radials are not completely covered. Thanks.
You could use anti-seize, and a stainless lock washer, instead of the tape.

Sent using Tapatalk

nyair1

I have made sure the end of the coaxial cable (along with connector) is not exposed to elements. But the connector on the antenna itself I have no control over. Maybe I can dab some silicone stuff around the central mast where the elements get attached.

Plumbers tape will do nothing. You need blue medium strength thread locker. Its made by Locktite. You can usually buy small packets of it at Autozone or Advance Auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.