BCD325P2/BCD996P2: RH96 on a BCD996P2? Yep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

milcom_chaser

You could try running a serial to USB adapter, and seeing if you can send commands to the 325P2... This test could be done using any of the programming software that allows remote control of the radio via a serial port on a PC with serial to USB adapter...

Last edited:

scosgt

The point would be the 325p2 can be mounted in a box and located in the trunk of a vehicle or mounted under the seat - remote control of the radio...
I think the 996P2 would be better for that because of the metal case, and you can run if off AC if your car has an outlet (*mine does).

N9JIG

Sheriff
I wonder if anyone knows if this will work for the 325P2 as they share the same firmware? Any thoughts?

Yes, the USB Remote adapter does work with the 325P2. Ric Plummer (the developer) wrote the code so that it replaces the radio model number string with BCD996XT regardless of the original string.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the USB Remote adapter does work with the 325P2. Ric Plummer (the developer) wrote the code so that it replaces the radio model number string with BCD996XT regardless of the original string.
Thanks Rich! I had a feeling it might work.

scosgt

But how do you connect it? The box has a serial connection.

joesheets

Well, we thought it couldn't be done, and we were wrong. After a lot of discussion and work Ric Plummer, KV1W has made it happen. I had the pleasure of assisting him with testing and encouragement and it works great. I have this installed in my truck and used it all day today with no problems.

The basics are that he took an RS232 TTL converter and an Arduino processor to translate the headers from the BCD996P2 datastream and make it read as a BCD996XT. Since the rest of the command set is the same the converter works great. It connects to the rear GPS port of the BCD996P2 so there is no surgery required on the radio or the RH96. You get all the wholesome goodness of the 996P2 working on an RH96.

The complete plans, schematic and programming can be found at www.n9jig.com/radio/RH96_for_the_BCD996P2.pdf

Enjoy!

This link is down. Any others available?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I think the 996P2 would be better for that because of the metal case, and you can run if off AC if your car has an outlet (*mine does).

Maybe they have a 325P2 and can't afford a 996P2. Maybe they want the shortest possible run between antenna and radio (I don't think the weight of the 996P2 lends itself to being adhered to the underside of the trunk lid very well.) I also fail to see the logic of wasting an AC outlet if your car has an inverter. You are just going from 13.8VDC-->AC Inverter-->DC Converter (wall wart)-->radio that requires 13.8VDC to operate when just hooking it into the vehicle's 13.8VDC system is much more efficient and most likely less noisy. Sometimes you have to make what you have work for you, and if that's a 325P2 with a RH-96, so be it. Originally, the RH-96 was designed to work with both the portable and mobile versions of the 15/996/346/396 so apparently Uniden saw that it was useful for both, so why are people questioning its use on portables now?

joesheets

Here is the specs and updated instructions for the USB version. It seems to work fine for Ric but I have had some issues at my end, probably for some unrelated issues with my radio.

Basically you need to add a HobbyTronics USB host to the mix, the updated schematic is shown on page 8.
v2 with USB

The USB host listed is out of stock from Hobbytronics. Is there another source?
I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/CH375B-U-DIS...71&s=gateway&sprefix=usb+host+,aps,154&sr=8-8

Would that work??

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Well, we thought it couldn't be done, and we were wrong. After a lot of discussion and work Ric Plummer, KV1W has made it happen. I had the pleasure of assisting him with testing and encouragement and it works great. I have this installed in my truck and used it all day today with no problems.

The basics are that he took an RS232 TTL converter and an Arduino processor to translate the headers from the BCD996P2 datastream and make it read as a BCD996XT. Since the rest of the command set is the same the converter works great. It connects to the rear GPS port of the BCD996P2 so there is no surgery required on the radio or the RH96. You get all the wholesome goodness of the 996P2 working on an RH96.

The complete plans, schematic and programming can be found at www.n9jig.com/radio/RH96_for_the_BCD996P2.pdf

Enjoy!

LINK for the PDF is broken - can someone please repost? THANKS!!

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Thanks for all the info on this, I have 2 serial ones up and running, I did all the connections so they are all plugs (A lot more work) so if I want to convert to USB it will be easy.

Thanks again for the work you guys did on this

joesheets

Got everything connected but now cant get it programmed! Here is the error log:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)"

Sketch uses 1644 bytes (5%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 389 bytes (18%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1659 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM9 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\mainuser\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_597724/996p2.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, BDMICRO Microcontrollers, Relays, Optocouplers, and IoT
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM9
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb9

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See Arduino - Troubleshooting for suggestions.

I have checked the site for suggestions but everything seems to be checked correctly. I did notice that I have one light on the board solid and the other slow blinking at all times. I have tried this on 2 boards with the same result.

Any suggestions?

joesheets

I have updated the driver, reinstalled everything and still wont program. I get an "Unknown Board" message too.
My PC sees the board and has the updated driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.