Display brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It very well could be my eyes, but it seems that since I bought the SDS200 and installed it in early March, the display has become progressively less bright.

I'd appreciate hearing from other members so I can get a sense if it's me or the radio.

UPMan mentioned some time back that in bright light, the white on black mode is the easiest to see. That's true, but even then the white appears to be an off white, not a true white. I expect that color could be adjusted via firmware. Actually, a "monotone" mode with an option to have one color background and one color text would be nice, but I don't expect that to be offered.

skyteam11

Premium Subscriber
I have my SDS200 installed in the helicopter for covering news. I ended up turning off the color and using black on white which makes it easy to see. The color screen needs a brighter setting but you still need to be looking straight on it. That being said, I can deal with the display as the reception that I am getting with the unit is fantastic. I have 4 P2's and I had to discipline my self where I would fly due to digital reception. So far with the 200, I am able to fly anywhere in the Baltimore area and can receive scanner traffic with little to no problems.
996P2.jpg996P2.jpg
The is the 996P2 that we removed to replace with the SDS200
9SDS200 1 (1).jpg
This is what it looks like in color mode. Hard to see.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Now that is an interesting post, and the fact that the SDS200 is working that well with an antenna up high, getting hit with everything at once, is good to hear. I also find that black and white at 100% is the only way to go when battling direct sunlight, though it's just barely readable in those circumstances.

skyteam11

Premium Subscriber
20190313_162428.jpg

The 996P2 is a good scanner but the SDS200 for me other than the display so far has been fantastic.

20190429_060624.jpg

As you can see it is almost impossible to see. This picture I took in flight. But SDS200 processor for reception has just been fantastic.
I am flying anywhere form 500 feet to 2000 feet with no issues. The 996P2 would not be as happy to process the information.

20190502_172955.jpg

garys

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much has been my experience, but not in a helicopter. I don't know if brightness can go above what is currently 100%. It would be great if there was a firmware upgrade that would do that.

One other thing, and I don't know if it can be changed in the future, is the reflectivity of plastic. If a less reflective plastic that still allows as much light through as possible were available, that would fix some of the problem also.

jjbond

Banned
Banned
Need to add to my comment above, I THOUGHT it was far too dim and then found out that from the factory "Set Dimmers" > "Set High Dimmer" was set far too low... cranked that up and WOWZA, huge difference...

garys

Premium Subscriber
D'OH!

We need an "I feel silly" Emoji.

I completely forgot about that setting and it defaulted back when I created a new profile with settings for display colors.

Thanks. All better now.

:eek:

jjbond

Banned
Banned
D'OH!

We need an "I feel silly" Emoji.

I completely forgot about that setting and it defaulted back when I created a new profile with settings for display colors.

Thanks. All better now.

:eek:
WOOOOO HOOOOOO you mean I actually helped someone? I'm brand new to this scanner, that's awesome... how awesome is blind luck eh? grin

garys

Premium Subscriber
Well, me and the 693 "lurkers" who were all thinking that their displays were defective. ;)

WOOOOO HOOOOOO you mean I actually helped someone? I'm brand new to this scanner, that's awesome... how awesome is blind luck eh? grin

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
This only goes to prove what I have thought all along, that a good portion of dissatisfied SDS customers are plagued with OE and not understanding their radio and the menu navigation. This website is crucial for information regarding our radios, a clearinghouse of information you will not find anywhere else. There's the owner's manual, the easier-to-read manual, YouTube vids, and Radio Reference. So much information out there (and here) that I don't see how anybody can be in the 'dark', pun intended ;)

JD
kf4anc

garys

Premium Subscriber
It proves that along with things like "Nothing to Scan", these are complex radios. Every time one creates a new profile, the dimmer settings have to be reset to the desired levels. The default values for low, medium, and high are pretty low and it's easy to forget to readjust them.

It's probably easier to edit an existing profile by renaming it and making changes as opposed to creating a new one everytime.

I'm glad you're such a genius as to never have an error with programming. The world is a much better place for you ginormous intellect. :rolleyes:

This only goes to prove what I have thought all along, that a good portion of dissatisfied SDS customers are plagued with OE and not understanding their radio and the menu navigation. This website is crucial for information regarding our radios, a clearinghouse of information you will not find anywhere else. There's the owner's manual, the easier-to-read manual, YouTube vids, and Radio Reference. So much information out there (and here) that I don't see how anybody can be in the 'dark', pun intended ;)

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Your assumptions are hilarious and ignorant at the same time, a great achievement to be sure. I never said or implied I was a genius at programming my radios, just an astute and studious learner from a great teacher. I only wish many others had the same opportunity. These radios are a never-ending learning process for all of us. Sarcastic and juvenile insults have no place here. Grow up.

jjbond

Banned
Banned

JD
kf4anc
Owners “Pamphlet” would be a better word for it in light of how much is in these radios so you can’t blame them.

But is it truly operator error if you don’t know changing a screen layout or whatever he did would reset brightness, is that in the manual? I didn’t know it would, I stumbled across it just cus I had a dim screen :giggle:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Do you realize how long a manual would have to be to cover every conceivable setting on the SDS series? You'd end up with a 20 volume set of books for them. Some things have to be just common sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jjbond

Banned
Banned
Do you realize how long a manual would have to be to cover every conceivable setting on the SDS series? You'd end up with a 20 volume set of books for them. Some things have to be just common sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
And do you NOT READ?????? Read my comment again, focus.. I know you can do it use your phonics... let's do it together shall we?

in light of how much is in these radios so you can’t blame them.

Good job killing any happy buzz I felt over being able to help anyone, you and the cat fighting above.

My god you guys, you're all worse than a bunch of women, with all the instant sarcastic comments to each other and slamming people without reading what they wrote..screw this, I'm going back to bingo, they're friendlier there... wow.

Y'all are embarrasing each other, you sure don't act like grown men!!!!!! To a fairly new person to the board, some of you set a crap example and you remind me more of the female dogs (Google it, I won't swear here) I had to deal with in jr. high than what I thought this was suppose to be.... a community!!

Jen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.