Coax Cable Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

markrob7000

N4MDR
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any recommendations for a coax cable installer in the Richmond area? I'm looking to drop a couple of cables from my attic to my home office/radio shack for my scanners to improve reception.

I would prefer someone who is familiar with scanners and/or ham radio.

Thanks!
Mark

kc4jgc

When I worked for a cable TV contractor, one of the services offered was a "custom" install, meaning cables being run inside walls. Is this what you're asking? If so, ask your cable TV company who they contract that kind of work to and contact that company. Be prepared to shell out $$$. When I was at this company (1990's) the charge was $40/hr. Have no idea what it would be now. An electrician may be able to do the same work for slightly less. Couple ideas for you.

HTH,

W4UVV

In 1981 I was the second individual in central VA to configure and receive Satellite TV. The first indivdual was the founder of what later became AVCOM now sold, but still located in Richmond. That begin a second 34 year career in satc tv installations, repairs, and teleconference down linking.

I did many satellite tv installations over the years mainly of DTV and a few Dish in the Tri-cities, Richmond, and a few in Goochland, Cumberland and Powhatan Cos.. I was very successful (it paid for my youngest son's ECPI Computer Science degree of app. $50,000). Everybody has a time to quit and I retired in 2014 from doing all satcom activities.

I often was asked to do exactly what you now want done for a home satellite tv installation. My answer to when first asked in the mid-80s was the same as the last time I was asked in 2014. The answer always was "NO! ABSOLUTE NOT! The main reason is that I had no idea how the particular house was built. Saying it was "built to code" is more speculation than fact and still leaves a question mark..

Fox example, my house was built to code 100%. Wrong! No it was not in one minor location. It seems that a carpenter decided to install an a short length of 2 x 4 in. as a cross brace between 1 vertical wall struts inside my kitchen wall. My son was in the attic attempting to feed me the electrical 12/2 115 VAC cable. It was supposed to be a straight unimpeded drop but it wasn't. We were 100% blocked! I already had cut the recepticle hole in my kitchen wall. It took over us over 2 hours and we had to use a wood bit on a power drill in the kitchen with a 12 in. shaft to angle wide enough cut a passage hole for the AC line. I was very lucky.

In my opinion, any installer who agrees to do it is playing roulette with the odds of being successful. Maybe things will go fine and maybe they won't. The installer has a contract now to do what he said he would do. He begins installation and has a problem he cannot resolve. He stops and apologizes to the customer for whatever reasons and leaves. He then also can receive a letter from the customer's lawyer advising him he will be charged with non-complaintance of a legal contract and be billed to pay whomever else fixed whatever was wrong but no results were successful. The installer needs to understand the word "LAWSUIT".

For me, doing in structure wall configuring/routings was nothing but problems waiting to happen. The work also has to meet the local building codes. After doing my site survey and confirming the target satellite's look angles, I installed the antenna and dug a trench to the egress point which usually was the closest foundation vent. I was very smart. I additionally ran an extra coax cable to the antenna to the sat tv receiver but not with a RG-6 connector mounted. I routed the coax under the house usually trying to avoid dead mice or rats, spiders, spider webs, and crawling over or around debris obstacles. Most homes had floor vents for AC/heating and I partially made a passage for the cable at the vent side duct work. It worked fine.

A good portion of my income was doing maintenance calls where the installer did not know what the .#$@# he was doing. It included installing a sat antenna in the fall/winter pointing through a bare tree...no problem. However, when spring came, the leaves grew and blocked the satellite signal. Another money maker was to realign the sat tv antenna because either the father, mother, or teen had sideswiped it with there riding lawnmower. All it takes is just a little bit off peak.

I think I still have a new 1,000 ft. roll of RG-6 coax in one of of my outbuildings. I used to buy 1,000 ft. rolls about every 3 months when at the peak of satcom interest.

I recommend you place a service want ad on Craig's List for such if allowable or call BVC the largest A/V operation in Richmond. I used to work with BVC years ago on some satellite teleconference downlinking jobs in the area. Ask whomever is in charge now to provide you with possible references who will do such custom work. Call tv repair shops, if any are left, and ask them for possible references.

It cannot be just any installer. He must be familiar with and have a lot of RG-6 coax cable/connectors. Whomever will do it, expect a 4 figure estimate.

John:)
W4UVV

gesucks

W4UVV, I think you should leave the comments to current day installers who know how to do the job. With current tech, cell phone scope video cameras, 15 foot flexible drill bits, etc, the house having to be in code has nothing to do with a good install. There are 100's of good installers who do this on a daily basis for cable TV, RF and network.

OP, go to a high end Network, AV or Radio shop for the install, Make them do it to R-56 and National Electrical Code. It would be a very easy job for an experienced installer

phask

Premium Subscriber
was not in one minor location. It seems that a carpenter decided to install an a short length of 2 x 4 in. as a cross brace between 1 vertical wall struts inside my kitchen wall. My son was in the attic attempting to feed me the electrical 12/2 115 VAC cable. It was supposed to be a straight unimpeded drop but it wasn't. We were 100% blocked! I already had cut the recepticle hole in my kitchen wall. It took over us over 2 hours and we had to use a wood bit on a power drill in the kitchen with a 12 in. shaft to angle wide enough cut a passage hole for the AC line. I was very lucky.

Actually, code nor requires a blocking 2x4 in most walls as a fire block. Whether yours was built that way or for some other reason, who knows.

I've seen extra ones added for support for switches & receptacles, for windows that were never installed, etc.

When I re-did my mid 50's home I had an opportunity to add some conduit from basement to attic for future use. Dummy me wish that I had also added some 2" or larger at the time.

In 1981 I was the second individual in central VA to configure and receive Satellite TV. The first indivdual was the founder of what later became AVCOM now sold, but still located in Richmond. That begin a second 34 year career in satc tv installations, repairs, and teleconference down linking.

I did many satellite tv installations over the years mainly of DTV and a few Dish in the Tri-cities, Richmond, and a few in Goochland, Cumberland and Powhatan Cos.. I was very successful (it paid for my youngest son's ECPI Computer Science degree of app. $50,000). Everybody has a time to quit and I retired in 2014 from doing all satcom activities.

I often was asked to do exactly what you now want done for a home satellite tv installation. My answer to when first asked in the mid-80s was the same as the last time I was asked in 2014. The answer always was "NO! ABSOLUTE NOT! The main reason is that I had no idea how the particular house was built. Saying it was "built to code" is more speculation than fact and still leaves a question mark..

Fox example, my house was built to code 100%. Wrong! No it was not in one minor location. It seems that a carpenter decided to install an a short length of 2 x 4 in. as a cross brace between 1 vertical wall struts inside my kitchen wall. My son was in the attic attempting to feed me the electrical 12/2 115 VAC cable. It was supposed to be a straight unimpeded drop but it wasn't. We were 100% blocked! I already had cut the recepticle hole in my kitchen wall. It took over us over 2 hours and we had to use a wood bit on a power drill in the kitchen with a 12 in. shaft to angle wide enough cut a passage hole for the AC line. I was very lucky.

In my opinion, any installer who agrees to do it is playing roulette with the odds of being successful. Maybe things will go fine and maybe they won't. The installer has a contract now to do what he said he would do. He begins installation and has a problem he cannot resolve. He stops and apologizes to the customer for whatever reasons and leaves. He then also can receive a letter from the customer's lawyer advising him he will be charged with non-complaintance of a legal contract and be billed to pay whomever else fixed whatever was wrong but no results were successful. The installer needs to understand the word "LAWSUIT".

For me, doing in structure wall configuring/routings was nothing but problems waiting to happen. The work also has to meet the local building codes. After doing my site survey and confirming the target satellite's look angles, I installed the antenna and dug a trench to the egress point which usually was the closest foundation vent. I was very smart. I additionally ran an extra coax cable to the antenna to the sat tv receiver but not with a RG-6 connector mounted. I routed the coax under the house usually trying to avoid dead mice or rats, spiders, spider webs, and crawling over or around debris obstacles. Most homes had floor vents for AC/heating and I partially made a passage for the cable at the vent side duct work. It worked fine.

A good portion of my income was doing maintenance calls where the installer did not know what the .#$@# he was doing. It included installing a sat antenna in the fall/winter pointing through a bare tree...no problem. However, when spring came, the leaves grew and blocked the satellite signal. Another money maker was to realign the sat tv antenna because either the father, mother, or teen had sideswiped it with there riding lawnmower. All it takes is just a little bit off peak.

I think I still have a new 1,000 ft. roll of RG-6 coax in one of of my outbuildings. I used to buy 1,000 ft. rolls about every 3 months when at the peak of satcom interest.

I recommend you place a service want ad on Craig's List for such if allowable or call BVC the largest A/V operation in Richmond. I used to work with BVC years ago on some satellite teleconference downlinking jobs in the area. Ask whomever is in charge now to provide you with possible references who will do such custom work. Call tv repair shops, if any are left, and ask them for possible references.

It cannot be just any installer. He must be familiar with and have a lot of RG-6 coax cable/connectors. Whomever will do it, expect a 4 figure estimate.

W4UVV

Let me see here...
I was a CATV services installer, I was a Primestar and Directv installer and before that an alarm system installer.
I have installed "miles" of cable through whatever you can think of. Had a few jobs I could not complete due to the structure(s) and plainly explained to the customer what it would require to make the run happen. Never once did I ever have to retain a lawyer because I could not do the job.
It isn't rocket science but you do have to have a good grip on the mechanics of the job and common sense. Oh and the proper tools help!
Now running cable vertically through a common stick built home can be a challenge at times but with the right tools it can be done easily.
Trouble is to find that person who has said mentioned abilities.
I would consider talking to an electrician and have them put some conduit in for ease of a changeout or additional lines in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.