RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Canada Radio Discussion Forums > Prairies and Pacific Coast

Prairies and Pacific Coast Forum for discussing radio information in the Alberta, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Saskatchewan, Yukon and British Columbia provinces.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 6:42 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Awesome, thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2013, 9:34 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm getting 772.95625 again, but not strong enough to come into Unitrunker. All the 700 MHz freqs are protected now, so I have no idea where it could be coming from, except that the last published licenses for this freq were:

Edmonton Bell Tower - likely 05A-44-44 - doubt I'd pick it up here.
Lodgepole - likely 05A-40-40 - still doubtful I'd get that far when I can barely pick up Cluny from my point.
Magrath - likely 05B-39-39 - I'd write this one off too but like Holmes said, when you eliminate the impossible, what remains, no matter how improbable....

Will? You think you would be able to hear anything on this freq from your point?
Old 10-22-2013, 9:38 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default AFRRCS - Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System - INFO HERE

Yes I'll do some drivin tonight and see what I find.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911
I'm getting 772.95625 again, but not strong enough to come into Unitrunker. All the 700 MHz freqs are protected now, so I have no idea where it could be coming from, except that the last published licenses for this freq were:

Edmonton Bell Tower - likely 05A-44-44 - doubt I'd pick it up here.
Lodgepole - likely 05A-40-40 - still doubtful I'd get that far when I can barely pick up Cluny from my point.
Magrath - likely 05B-39-39 - I'd write this one off too but like Holmes said, when you eliminate the impossible, what remains, no matter how improbable....

Will? You think you would be able to hear anything on this freq from your point?
Hey Jay,

While I have spent a lot of time working in the Cynthia/Lodgepole area, I have yet to see any indication that the Lodgepole site has been constructed yet. There is not a shelter/generator/propane tank/new perimeter fence at either the Rogers or Telus site that are at the coordinates shown in your KML file. I was through there about a week ago, and neither of the sites had any recent construction activity, although there was evidence of recent vehicle activity. Also, with out really, really enhanced propagation I seriously doubt you would ever hear lodgepole site in Bradd Creek. On that note I am taking a new position woring in CLAWR and will not be out that way, except to visit my inlaws cabin. Next time I am out ther I will check those sites again
Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default AFRRCS - Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System - INFO HERE

Nothing new around here or magrath.
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2013, 6:01 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Interesting, thanks. And yes, I didn't expect to be picking up Lodgepole or Edmonton here.. I also didn't expect it to be Magrath, but those are the only three that are licensed with that frequency. Either there's an unpublished site or perhaps my RTLSDR has an image issue.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Driving around GP and receiver stopped on 770.8375 but never heard anything but open air..... could it be that they are working in the area????
Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6BRW View Post
Driving around GP and receiver stopped on 770.8375 but never heard anything but open air..... could it be that they are working in the area????
There are two or three "birdies" in my scanners in the 700 MHz range - I'd suspect you have found one there. All the frequencies for the new system are typically going to have 5 digits past the decimal place, and end in 5. So 770.83750 would not be valid.
Old 10-23-2013, 4:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I can hear Drayton Valley 1 from here but nothing on Lodgepole frequencies. Could it be a site that had protected licenses right from the beginning. Like the Calgary remand center, Bow River correctional or courthose?
Old 10-23-2013, 6:03 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm pretty sure that the downtown courts are on the Calgary trunk system and I think Calgary Remand has a pair of conventional UHF repeaters if my last search thru Spectrum Direct was right.

I tried tuning that frequency while in a high area in Calgary this afternoon without success. I guess it'll have to remain a mystery for now...
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have never heard anything on the frequency in the Databases listed for the Calgary Remand Centre. The Databases also list frequencies for Calgary Parking Authority and I have not heard anything on 462.975 for a couple of years. Of interest, because there was mention that the Calgary Police may not go to the AFRRCS, there seems to be a lot of complaints about the local digital radio system. Complaints of transmissions going Digital, dead spots. And the Courts in Calgary are on the Calgary Digital system.
Old 10-29-2013, 3:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lots of VHF skip today. Was surprised to hear Cremona Site 94 CC on 771.6937 loud and clear in Edmonton.
Old 10-29-2013, 4:21 PM

I keep seeing reports of you guys hearing sites from hundreds of km away. How long do you hear them for? More than a few seconds? I'm wondering if you aren't getting airplane scatter?
Old 10-29-2013, 4:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm now hearing Ladnor on 95. It lasts usually for a few hours. Keep in mind all we are getting is the CC that identifies the system and site number. Have in the past heard Beiseker but not today. If it were scatter I don't think we would be decoding the site so consistently. VHF skip is also very good today.
Old 10-29-2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryshute View Post
I'm now hearing Ladnor on 95. It lasts usually for a few hours. Keep in mind all we are getting is the CC that identifies the system and site number. Have in the past heard Beiseker but not today. If it were scatter I don't think we would be decoding the site so consistently. VHF skip is also very good today.
No, you're right. Scatter only lasts a few seconds. Must be inversion ducting as you noted earlier.
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2013, 7:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Clandonald 771.8562 CC 005ah-2222
Kitscoty 770.8812 CC 005ah-2323
Old 11-06-2013, 8:29 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'll get those submitted straight away, thanks.

While the LMR (700/UHF/VHF) frequencies have gone away from public view, another two satellite links showed up in Spectrum Direct the other day. One for Rainbow Lake (which already has a UHF backhaul (theoretically) connected to Fontas), and another at Devon.
Old 11-11-2013, 1:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Warm air aloft today. Hearing Crossfield (93) and Trochu (72) in Edmonton today.
Old 11-11-2013, 5:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was up the Forestry Trunk Road this afternoon and picking up comms from Rocky and Red Deer County (non-AFRRCS related) so I guess I'm not surprised.

I am going to a public safety conference later this week where AFRRCS staff (as well as PPSTN and IM staff, for what it's worth) will be making presentations. Should be an interesting week.
Old 11-12-2013, 9:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hearing CC on 773.2937 which is System 5B Site 135.

Tags