Alberta RCMP skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Anyone around Calgary picking up some unusual sounds on A15 tonight?

Sounds like a zone 5 car (i.e. 5Asomething) going lights & siren to join another member and passing by "the 11A exit". (Red Deer County or points west?)

Jay911

Feed Provider
Happening again tonight. Booming in like they're on the same tower/repeater. One member talking about the 11 between Red Deer and Poplar.. erm, I forget, Poplar Valley?

Cochrane doesn't seem to notice, or isn't commenting on it.

DX-300

I was picking up Strathmore and Didsbury when I was on the highway last night comming in to calgary from farther than I usually get them. In Strathmore's case I guess the signal is quite strong anyway so I'm not sure if I was just in a better position on the terrain but in Didsbury's case there was a definate improvement in reception judging by my past experiences in where I usually start picking them up and when they fade out

Last edited:

beeperboy

Yes, there was good inversions and ducting the last couple of days from the Chinook warming.

Hey, did anyone hear the commotion on the B3 Kananaskis repeater the other night?

BB

Last edited:

masonb

I've been noticing a fair amount of unusual activity on the PACS system this last while as well. Seems like they really need to get on that new system online sometime.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Well, with regards to that, what I said in the other thread still applies. I don't know how much the Service Alberta folks want to be public, but I'd presume their website would be a good yardstick in that regard. What I've been told by them is that the reopened RFP will close before the year is out, and the decision will be made in the new year. Construction should start right away after that.

What I'd love to know is if the build-out schedule has been changed at all from the 19 municipal zones we saw last year or the year before, to something more coordinated with the AHS amalgamation endeavor. If I ever get time to call my contact in SA, I'll ask.

SCPD

QRT
Well, with regards to that, what I said in the other thread still applies. I don't know how much the Service Alberta folks want to be public, but I'd presume their website would be a good yardstick in that regard. What I've been told by them is that the reopened RFP will close before the year is out, and the decision will be made in the new year. Construction should start right away after that.

What I'd love to know is if the build-out schedule has been changed at all from the 19 municipal zones we saw last year or the year before, to something more coordinated with the AHS amalgamation endeavor. If I ever get time to call my contact in SA, I'll ask.

RFP Update, October 2009
GoA released the request for proposals (RFP) in the fall of 2008. The AFFRCS RFP closed on May 20th 2009. Thereafter, the evaluation process was initiated on the vendor proposals to ensure the responses to the mandatory requirements set forth in the RFP were satisfied. Subsequently, the evaluation efforts have determined that none of the vendor proposals met all the mandatory requirements of Alberta’s first responders.

As next steps:

the Government of Alberta has initiated the Modified RFP process as set out in AFRRCS RFP #138PC-66. The Modified RFP process provides vendors with an opportunity to modify their submitted proposals to meet compliance requirements and the needs of Alberta’s first responders;
following the preferred vendor selection, the GoA anticipates contract commencement will occur in the spring of 2010.

The GoA remains committed to the primary goal of first responder safety and the safety of all Albertans.

HDMechanic

I noticed the skip myself. Was on a trip over the weekend and I could here Airdrie in Banff and heard Canmore detatchment on the edge of Calgary. Also heard a lot of talking on B3 as well. Sounds like a group got stuck up on a mountian and couldn't and get back out with a helicopter. That sounded like fun sitting in a shack on top of a mountian for three days or more.

SCPD

QRT
I noticed the skip myself. Was on a trip over the weekend and I could here Airdrie in Banff and heard Canmore detatchment on the edge of Calgary. Also heard a lot of talking on B3 as well. Sounds like a group got stuck up on a mountian and couldn't and get back out with a helicopter. That sounded like fun sitting in a shack on top of a mountian for three days or more.

For even a longer skip signal, the weekend was not bad for VHF low band skip. CHP Red Channel was strong early in the afternoon then died toward sunset.
CHP VHF Lo frequencies are listed in RR database.

omrail

Good skip this early-morning picking up Sundre here in Leduc. Sounds not too bad either can be quite fuzzy at times. Not sure how long it's been going on but so far I haven't heard comments from the Leduc RCMP however telecoms when they come on can hear them.

Sounds like a busy night for Olds with Sundre assistant for Western coverage.

Last edited:

omrail

could be. Ended up picking up Athabasca off of the Thorsby repeater last night as well. But only when telecoms opened up and I was talking.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
This morning an Edmonton radio tech RRT the A7 Bremner. It also opened the A7 near Red Deer and SAOCC also answered him. Later in the day I heard a man with weapons call at Red Deer college and it was as clear as A7 here. The suspect ended up being a Police Dog service member:)

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of Skip ... I remember a few years ago ...
I received Ham Radio Simplex out of Lloydminster in Edmonton
Must be another atmosphere prime time event.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Well inversions [not necessarily skip] can be a pain for local hams as well, but does give one a chance to talk to people hundreds of miles away on local repeaters. I think this is posted in other places but there are web sites that post ducting on VHF and up. One is DX Info Centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.