Chilliwack RCMP encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

NedSem

Has anyone heard when the RCMP in Chilliwack BC are moving to encryption? I keep hearing it is imminent and that the new radios have already been installed, but so far, still analog. The City is installing a new communications tower on Chwk Mtn., perhaps could be part of the RCMP's encryption program?

BC_Scan

You will know when it happens because you might hear the radio shop saying working on the repeater today, switch to digital channel, in the past the Sunshine Coast dispatcher was overheard to say just before switching "Good bye scanner land"
Muni's repeater will be for their own use, RCMP's will be at another location, I believe if not allready the Muni will go TBRO or is allready, at least the license shows that.

DocBrun

Originally, Ashcroft and Clinton were supposed to be going digital "at the end of summer" (whatever that means). Then at the beginning of March, the cars and portables started getting upgraded and ready for the digital channels. By the end of March the switch was "imminent" but it didn't actually end up happening until April 23rd.

Recently I was chatting with a radio tech and asked him why the timeline bounces around so much, and why Ashcroft and Clinton (detachments with very low call volumes) were switched over to digital before bigger detachments... he told me that the decision basically comes down to how much money is sitting in the communications budget, and how easily accessible the repeater location is at a particular time of year.

TLDR; it could happen at any time, but even the RCMP doesn't seem to know when it'll be

NedSem

Thanks.

Apparently the new radios were installed in Jan and Feb and I was told the changeover would be in late Feb. Hurry up and wait I guess.

As for the City, they have made the switch.

My comment re the City was referring to the tower itself - thought the RCMP might piggy back on the tower structure for their own repeater.

NightStorm

Not to dig up an older thread, but they (Chilliwack) made the switch 2 days ago to full digital. At least the highway RCMP out of Chilliwack did. I imagine if city didn't yet, they will be very soon.

NightStorm

Yeah, according to the officer I was talking to on Wednesday night, the switch will be by the end of the month. Meanwhile they have already had issues with their radios, and the officers on the highway were essentially running blind on Friday, unable to communicate properly with the radio room, and having to fall back on cell phones.
Site wouldn't happen to be the Chilliwack group on FB, would it?

NedSem

Yep it was. Chap seemed to know what he was talking about - you, perhaps?
I was talking to a GD Member last Christmas, and at that time the switchover was scheduled for February. Seem to be taking their time.

NightStorm

I was hoping that they were going to do this properly, so that the same issues would not come up as what had happened when the CRD switched over to the CREST system way back when (lost signal, blackout zones, towers failing to properly open the channel)... but then Friday happened, and I came to the conclusion that they are doing things exactly the same. Jump in with both feet, then wonder why they are all wet.
Of course, I also still think they should have just piggybacked on the ECOMM system, instead of using some bastardized version (their words) and start making things up as they go. It would have made more sense, since the 911 dispatching goes through Surrey anyway, and FVTS shares a highway with Port Mann Traffic and AbbyPD, that they would all be on the same system (one that had already had most of the kinks ironed out by now) and could talk to each other. But our tax dollars at work.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Of course, I also still think they should have just piggybacked on the ECOMM system,

You do know EDACS has been discontinued by Harris right? As in no new systems, as in ECOMM is moving to P25. Why on earth would they add EDACS sites to a system that is going to be replaced very shortly?

instead of using some bastardized version (their words) and start making things up as they go.

LOL! P25 conventional is not a 'making things up as they go' it is mature technology, that has been proven time and again.

It would have made more sense, since the 911 dispatching goes through Surrey anyway, and FVTS shares a highway with Port Mann Traffic and AbbyPD, that they would all be on the same system

you really have no idea what it takes to have rural 800MHz coverage do you?

(one that had already had most of the kinks ironed out by now) and could talk to each other. But our tax dollars at work.

Yea, that same system that has the 'kinks worked out' is EOL.

NedSem

Chilliwack RCMP encrypted?

Chilliwack dispatch (139.350) showing nothing but static this morning. Guessing they moved to encrypted, as did their highway frequency a few weeks back.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
yep thats it...time to fork out $600 for a scanner

But a $600 scanner ain't going to let you hear encrypted comms. Time to think of another hobby if only interested in listening to something worthwhile. Photography is great as no one tries to keep you out. Only problem is the cost is a heck of a lot more than scanner listening.

dwc

Database Admin
But a $600 scanner ain't going to let you hear encrypted comms. Time to think of another hobby if only interested in listening to something worthwhile. Photography is great as no one tries to keep you out. Only problem is the cost is a heck of a lot more than scanner listening.

Yeah you are SOL like everyone else in the Province. No easy way around AES-256.

On a related note, Quesnel also switched their rural and city repeaters to digital/enc last week. DB has been updated.

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
wow never thought i'd see the day that ol CHWK went this route!
back in the day with my radio shack pro 51

Status
Not open for further replies.