Dual band digital radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakeandsnow

Hey Guys

Still new to scanning and ham etc, and i'm interested in scanning in the Edmonton -> west and Edmonton -> south areas into the southern BC area.

I've bought an Anytone AT-D868UV and I use it to monitor local channels but I'm looking for a higher end solution.

I would like to be able to communicate on LADD channels and Resource Road channels in BC but still able to monitor 700/800 MHz as the AFRRCS will be taking effect soon from what I can tell? EPS here is also 800 MHz.

I travel regularly and in different vehicles and i would prefer to only have one device instead of a radio and a scanner.

I'd be willing to spend a decent dollar on a device that does it all.

Any help is appreciated.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there is such a two way radio that will do all and is reasonably priced. Plus you still need to have a license to transmit on any frequency. The only two way radio services that are license free in Canada are the 11 meter CB frequencies and GMRS/FRS frequencies. For all others the radio has to be approved for the frequency and has to be licensed. Your best bet would be a scanner from Whistler or Uniden and there are numerous posts on these scanners. Of course, nothing will allow one to listen to an encrypted service. And a lot of the AFRRCS are encrypted, especially RCMP and AHS. I believe RCMP in BC are or will shortly be encrypted in all areas. As well, one would need a radio to have P25, trunking, TURBO, Tier I, II and III, NXDN, Analog, FM. The easy part is FM analog

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
In my post above TURBO isn't correct, should be Mototrbo. If you are only interested in scanning and not communicating, you could review the Scanners and Wideband Receivers shown on Universal Radio Inc website as some scanners from AOR may have all the various modes. I am not aware if they will follow trunking systems. Some of these scanners are very pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.