• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APCO data with older scanner and discriminator tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd970

I would like to install a discriminator tap on my scanner so I can use programs like Trunker and monitor other goodies that the Motorola P25 network transmits. Do I need to install the discriminator tap on my new $500 scanner to listen to the data on the networks?

I figure a cheaper scanner would work just fine assuming it can dial in to the 700MHz and 800MHz networks, even if the scanner doesn’t have built in decoding functionality, because the computer software is decoding for me. Am I correct?

If I’m on track with not needing an expensive scanner to install a discriminator tap to listen to raw data, what cheaper scanner is pretty reliable and easy to install a discriminator tap on?

Thanks for the help!

JD

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I take it you intend to use the $500 scanner for the voice scanner.
jd970 said:
I figure a cheaper scanner would work just fine assuming it can dial in to the 700MHz and 800MHz networks, even if the scanner doesn’t have built in decoding functionality, because the computer software is decoding for me. Am I correct?
Correct.
jd970 said:
If I’m on track with not needing an expensive scanner to install a discriminator tap to listen to raw data, what cheaper scanner is pretty reliable and easy to install a discriminator tap on?
Nearly any Uniden or Uniden built Radio Shack or any GRE built Radio Shack scanner manufactured in the 1990's and early 2000's. Many of the GRE scanners have a tap point stud ready to use and many (including Uniden) have a solder pad available. Shop on EBay, may find one for 30 bucks.

SCPD

QRT
Any scanners discrimnator tap should work fine with speeds up to 19.2k bps so apco-25 systems will not be a problem, you will need to use a four level converter to decode a 9600 APCO-25 System instead of the two level converter used for analog TRS.

jd970

4 Level converter?

So do I need the 4 level converter w/ a scanner like the Uniden BCD996?

ac7xc said:
Any scanners discrimnator tap should work fine with speeds up to 19.2k bps so apco-25 systems will not be a problem, you will need to use a four level converter to decode a 9600 APCO-25 System instead of the two level converter used for analog TRS.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
>> So do I need the 4 level converter w/ a scanner like the Uniden BCD996?

Using wtrunker.exe, you don't need a slicer. The 996 will be *parked* scanner hooked to your PC at the assigned comport. The cheap scanner will be tapped with an audio cable patched to your sound card. Use Radio Shack Audio Cable 42-2420A (it's a simple 6 ft. Shielded Mono cable).

A future UniTrunker version will also work with this setup.

I use a Pro-2048 for the tapped scanner and a BC785D for*parked*. I sold a couple of Pro-2046's which could do the same.

jd970

Bearcat BC700A

Would a BearCat BC700A be sufficient for the data scanner?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
jd970 said:
Would a BearCat BC700A be sufficient for the data scanner?
Yes, if you can find pin 10 of IC-3 (see below from the late Bill Cheek). The operating manual indicates coverage from 136-174 MHz, 406-470 MHz and 806-956 MHz.

Code:
SCANNER DISCRIMINATOR CHIP PINS OF INTEREST
 Updated 11/1/96
                                 CKT     RF-in   SCAN    AUDIO
 SCANNER         NFM CHIP TYPE   SYMBOL  Pin     Pin   BASEBAND
 =============== =============== ======= =====   ===== =========
 BC-700A         NJM-3359D-A     IC-3    18      15      10

Status
Not open for further replies.