New to Amateur Radio Direction Finding

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioshack87

Hey there everyone,

I'm from Australia and I'm interested in getting involved in the . Just as a hobby. =)

I was in China recently and made friends with a lovely lass who introduced me to the 'sport'.

Does anyone know if there's any good sites or activity in Australia? I haven't been able to find anything...
I also have a local friend who is also interested in getting involved... but we have no idea what equipment to buy or where to get started.

Any advice?

Thanks !

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Thread

Might be a place to start. Or The Wireless Institute of Australia may give some information of direction finding especially as it relates to Amateur Radio in Australia. eHam.com, although USA base, might have some information. As well as ARRL [American Radio Relay League] as they have information on direction finding. Although these sites involve Amateur Radio [also known as Ham Radio], they will give information on Direction Finding. Direction Finding is active sport within Amateur Radio and does involve being licensed or certified with the local government. But is a place to start.

teufler

A Club that does regular fox hunts, their interference problems are inversely proportional to the number of foxhunts they have. Me ,I finally moved to a doppler system for the car. It worked very good for the car. Gave me led readouts as to the direction, then about 500 feet the leds would rapidly go in a circle. I then switched to an Optiscount which I could work th signal better. Somekind of attenuator switch box to cut the signal down because you can overload your transmitter\reciever when you get to 100 feet or less. The real fun is when the "fox" really tries to get sneaky in the antenna placement. The craziest I have heard was a group in New Mexico that did night time hunts in the brush or rocks. Thyey had a transmitter inside a large crisco can, with a cutout on the side. S small batterty motor rotatewd the can around so when the unit transmitted, the signal night appear strong to the north, then the south, the signal jumoped all over. Now hunting in the desert rocks, at night, with thesnakes out, that is crazy. Another was very creative, a husband and wife had a doll in a baby carriage. They were strolling near the zoo waiting for a bus. When the transmitted, they pushed the handle on the carriage .Foxhunters were on foot and walked right past them as no one thought to check the carriage. Fox hunts can be really hard , or easy. Doesn't matter because there are huge tales to be told after the hunt is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.