RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Radio Direction Finding Forum

Radio Direction Finding Forum - Discussions regarding direction finding and transmitter location

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 9:04 PM

Question Receiver help for tracking wounded game

I am a high school student from Indiana. In our senior engineering design class, my group decided to attempt to make a system to track game animals, namely whitetail deer, that have been mortally wounded by archery equipment using a radio beacon. We have a small beacon made for falconry that transmits at around 173 MHz and need a way to find it. None of us have any experience with radio tracking technology and any pointers on getting, using, or possibly making a receiver would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2013, 6:58 AM

I would purchase a Baofeng UV-5R. If you do an internet search you can find the radio for around $50.00 on either Amazon or Ebay. That is the easy part. Since you are not licensed please don't transmit on the radio. I would suggest that you and your team get together with one of your local amateur radio clubs and have them teach you how to hunt radio transmitters. There is so much involved in finding a transmitter that you are better off having the radio club teach you.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Don't really need to have a transceiver for this. Then the temptation to transmit is removed. There are a number of good receivers and antennas for the 174 MHz frequencies that a lot of wildlife tracking people use. Not really sure how you would track a "mortally" wounded animal without first putting the transmitter on the animal. A blood trail would probably give more results. A google search will provide links to these low powered transmitters, antennas and receivers that are more sensitive than the Ham radio listed hear and others. These receivers will also have the proper step to hear the transmitted signal.

Last edited by robertmac; 04-23-2013 at 12:57 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 1:11 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarrett37 View Post
I am a high school student from Indiana. In our senior engineering design class, my group decided to attempt to make a system to track game animals, namely whitetail deer, that have been mortally wounded by archery equipment using a radio beacon. We have a small beacon made for falconry that transmits at around 173 MHz and need a way to find it. None of us have any experience with radio tracking technology and any pointers on getting, using, or possibly making a receiver would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Clever idea! You'd want to run an Internet search for the nearest HAM club. They will help you make a directional antenna, etc.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2013, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
Don't really need to have a transceiver for this. Then the temptation to transmit is removed.
This is true, but the price for the radio is much cheaper than a receiver made for this purpose. Yes I thought about the temptation to transmit, but I hope they are mature enough not to transmit on the radio.
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2014, 6:53 PM

Hey

You might want to recruit the help of your local Game Warden. There might even be a program to help you wth an educational project. Certinly this falls under the heading of "Don't reinvent the Wheel" Go to the people that track animals.

When I was n Virginia, I saw a pickup with a yagi on the roof and inside was a motor home TV antenna style turn handle. There was a coax dropping down from the center with a BNC connector on it. It took me a minute to realize I was in 'coon huntin' country.

Contact a hunting club in your state and ask about radio tracking.

TTFN

Chet

Last edited by ChetsJug; 12-16-2014 at 6:59 PM..
Old 02-02-2017, 9:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You want something with an "S-meter" that actually works. With the UV-R, it does not actually work, at least none of the ones that I have does. It is either all or nothing on the display.

WA1NIC, WQAV-895, WPIH-815, PG0111912
Old 02-21-2017, 11:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hopefully I'm not too late to the party. How about a USB SDR dongle and a portable Android device? Coupled with a yagi antenna this could be a quick and dirty option.
Old 04-08-2017, 2:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Possible now but when thread was started in 2013, not sure there were many SDRs, or that worked with out a computer. And I'm not sure it was ever answered about how a mortally wounded deer would be tagged in the first place
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
Possible now but when thread was started in 2013, not sure there were many SDRs, or that worked with out a computer. And I'm not sure it was ever answered about how a mortally wounded deer would be tagged in the first place
Once again, Google is your friend: Tracking & Recovering Wounded Deer