Denver, CO Area Fox Hunt Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSK

Hello,

I am attempting to track down the source of a signal being transmitted on the LoJack frequency (173.075 MHz) once every fifteen minutes for approximately 2 1/2 seconds in duration.

Due to the short transmission duration, the somewhat long time span between transmissions, the fact that I live quite a ways North of Denver and that I do not own any type of fox hunting equipment is making locating the source a bit of a challenge.

The signal appears to be strongest between the city of Thornton, CO and South of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. A possible source may be from the radio towers in the vicinity of W. 92nd Ave. and Federal Blvd. however I cannot confirm this.

If anyone has the ability to pinpoint a more precise source of this transmission it would be greatly appreciated to assist in research as to the signal's purpose in relation to the LoJack system.

I have attached a sound example of the signal for which I am attempting to locate the source. In addition to this mystery signal there is normal activity as well on this frequency every 64 seconds from the LoJack towers.

Shawn
73s

Last edited:

ScannerSK

Using a Ramsey direction finder, I pinpointed the mystery system (operating on LoJack's stolen vehicle recovery system frequency of 173.075 MHz) to Buckley Air Force Base. This mystery system at times causes harmful interference to LoJack's stolen vehicle recovery network operating on the same frequency.

The purpose of the system operating at Buckley Air Force Base remains unclear. The precise location is still unclear however bearings all around the base point into the Air Force Base as the source of the signal.

Shawn

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Every Air Force Base has a person in charge of radio communications holding the title of LMR (Land Mobile Radio) manager. Contact the office of the LMR manager and give him a briefing on this problem. I can assure you, there will be a response.

They may have the title of base/installation Frequency Manager, they keep track of every radio emitter on base, the individual file is referred to as a SFAF, Standard Frequency Action Form.

Status
Not open for further replies.