• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How To Install a Pro-197 In My Car - How To

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
I would like to install a pro-197 scanner in my car. What proper cords, adapters, plugs, ect.. do I need to do this?

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
I would like to mount it on the dash with an antenna on the trunk

Loverickbass

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to get some metal screws at your local hardware store to mount the scanner itself to the dash. Make sure you know what's behind the metal you are screwing into. I learned that the hard way!

Loverickbass

Premium Subscriber
Your scanner should have came with a cigarette lighter plug for power. If not, there are several ways to get juice.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
Thanks alot man, I really appreciate it. I'll check this guy out

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mounting it on the dash could be potentially dangerous - if the dash gets crunched in an accident you have the potential of a flying scanner hitting you. Plus it's VERY obvious to thieves. What make/model of vehicle are you mounting this in? Surely there's a better spot to be had...

Be aware that feeding the power through the cig lighter plug could allow noise from the ignition or alternator to get into the scanner. Fortunately you can buy filters for this, but a better solution would be to wire to the battery (with proper fusing, of course)

best regards..Mike

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
I will probably be putting it in a Ford F-150 or a '94 Buick Regal custom

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are 3 or 4 threads for the F150 in the Shack/Mobile installation forum. They might give you some ideas. best regards..Mike

n5oya

huh....Antenna..lol

just use the radios antenna. you can buy a y and make up the correct connects so you can just use the car stereo's antenna..my pro-197 works perfect with it. other info....if you are not a ham radio operator or in public service you are breaking the law by installing a scanner in ur car in most state. State law (New York and Florida...maybe others) provent you from permanently install a scanner in a vehicle unless you are a ham radio operator or in public service so be careful and odds are that even if you do get pulled over the cop will not know this law. Best thing to do is investigate your state law so you know.

Last edited:

n5ims

just use the radios antenna. you can buy a y and make up the correct connects so you can just use the car stereo's antenna..my pro-197 works perfect with it. other info....if you are not a ham radio operator or in public service you are breaking the law by installing a scanner in ur car in most state. State law provent you from permanently install a scanner in a vehicle unless you are a ham radio operator or in public service so be careful and odds are that even if you do get pulled over the cop will not know this law. Best thing to do is investigate your state law so you know.

Not quite "most state" as you indicate. There are only 15 states detailed on the site referenced in the RR WIKI (Scanner Laws - The RadioReference Wiki) and the vast majority of those indicate only "use illegal in furtherance of a crime" or some variation of "Use by convicted criminals".

FL, IN, MI, & NY all have the most restrictions and special care and research should be done if you live or travel in those states. Please note that some cities also restrict mobile scanner use so even if your state allows it, one or more cities may not. For example, the City of Chattanooga has this little one (see "ARTICLE IV. INTERCEPTION OF POLICE RADIO SIGNALS" starting on page 13) http://www.chattanooga.gov/files/chapter16.pdf while the State of Tennessee has no issues with having one.

ve1sef

Another thing to consider if your planning to dash mount the scanner.
Where are the air bags located in relation to you installation.
Thats why I started doing the in-dash installation. As shown in photo
next to my user name.
As mentioned by ka3iiz, the in-dash installtion makes the scanner
less obvious and appear to be too much trouble to try and steal.
Plus no holes in the dash.
However; if you decide on in-dash, I would go to an auto-recycler and
pick up a second dash bizel. Do your modifcations to it thus, when time
comes to replace the vehicle you can put the orginal dash bizel in and leave
no trace of the scanner.

As for antennas, I used glass mount, mag mount and am/fm spliters.
and work will, The spliter does help to make the "extra" radio
less obvious, the downside is some internal "birdies" from the car.
Less interfernce with the glass mount and if done right can be removed
without a tray, when time comes to trade the vehicle.

Currently I'm using a small mag mount that is not as noticable as some.
Check my thread further down the list, Dodge Chager Installon for photos
of the mag mount..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.