• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2009 Toyota Corolla install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcast

It took me a couple of months to wrap up all the loose ends, but here is a 2009 Toyota Corolla radio & scanner install:

Larsen trunk lip mount NMO150/450/800 tri-band mobile antennas
Uniden BCD-996XT Trunktracker III scanner
Garmin GPS18PC GPS receiver
Kenwood TM-V71A dual-band ham radio transceiver
Kenwood KDC-HD545U stereo w/ HD radio tuner & USB/Ipod interface
Crutchfield: supplied double iso in-dash mount & wiring harness adapter

pic1
Larsen trunk lip mount antennas

pic2
Driver's seat pulled forward to reveal Kenwood transceiver drawer unit mounted underneath with two external speakers

pic3
Dash vent assembly removed showing Garmin GPS receiver puck before being secured with double-sided tape & velcro straps wrapped around vent

pic4
Another view of Garmin GPS hidden beneath top of vent assembly during installation with dash trim removed

pic5
View of completed install

Attachments

• 1_DSCN1183_r.jpg
    1_DSCN1183_r.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 5,101
  • 2_DSCN1182_r.jpg
    2_DSCN1182_r.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 5,279
  • 4_DSCN1135_r.jpg
    4_DSCN1135_r.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 4,744
  • 5_DSCN1133_r.jpg
    5_DSCN1133_r.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 17,278
  • 6_DSCN1185_r.jpg
    6_DSCN1185_r.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 4,399

hockeyshrink

Nice install

Thanks for posting, bcast...nice install!

One question: Are you using a Larsen triband 150/450/800 for both amateur and scanner? If so, did you have any issues tuning it for 140/440? (OK, that's 2 ques, sorry)

Thanks,
'shrink

bcast

Re: Larsen triband 150/450/800

Yes, one for the scanner & one for the amateur transceiver. After pulling out the antenna rod a bit to maximum length with good mechanical set screw bite, the maximum VSWR on 2M was measured at 1.7:1 at the low end of the band, 144.5 MHz, and improves to 1.4:1 or so at the high end, 147.995 MHz. On the 70CM band, the VSWR is pretty flat, 1.2:1 or less, from 446-449.995 MHz.

More info:

The stereo in-dash kit bought from Crutchfield is an American International TOY-K949 configured for double ISO which stacks the Uniden scanner & Kenwood stereo together. The kit can be set up for a single DIN or ISO with an included pocket or double ISO or DIN without the pocket. The included double ISO trim ring was omitted because it didn't fit without modification.

The AM/FM reception on the Kenwood stereo suffered for a while until Crutchfield tech support (they are pros!) advised to connect the "blue/white-power control wire" from the Kenwood stereo harness to the "blue-power antenna" lead in the factory wiring adapter. This apparently supplies power from the aftermarket stereo to the factory AM/FM preamp mounted somewhere near the factory in-glass AM/FM antenna.

A "Radio Shack FM Trap, Model: 9FT293C-1, Catalog #: 15-024" is used in-line with the scanner antenna cable to reduce front-end overload from FM broadcast transmitters.

The GPS is always powered on & tapped into the stereo wire harness: "battery wire-(yellow)". Per Garmin spec sheet, the input current is very low: 50 mA @ 13.8 VDC.

Snap together ferrite beads were used on the Kenwood transceiver drawer unit power cable, antenna cable, & remote head cable, to keep transmit RF out of the car's electrical system.

pic6
About 10' of 14 gauge wire to power the Kenwood transceiver drawer unit fused at & connected directly to the battery. The power cabling is routed through an existing firewall hole/grommet shared with the hood latch release cable.

pic7
Another view with Kenwood mic & radio heads stowed

pic8
One of these power outlets is zip-tied behind the dash for the Garmin GPS18PC power cable

Attachments

• 3_DSCN1189_r.jpg
    3_DSCN1189_r.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 14,812
  • 7_DSCN1187_r.jpg
    7_DSCN1187_r.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 4,039
  • DSCN1191_r.jpg
    DSCN1191_r.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 4,001

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Very, very nice. You took the time to install the items very professionally.

Mike

Excellent! But I could never tolerate such a setup, simply because I would never want to leave my car. (And don't tell us you have a more inticing setup at home).

KY9UBI

Premium Subscriber
Quick question for you bcast, did you have to get the PG-5F extension cables or were you able to use supplied cables from under the seat to the battery? Thanks a bunch for any reply.

bcast

I didn't use the Kenwood extension kit. I created custom cabling: separate red & black 14 gauge for the DC power to the battery, 4-conductor "silver satin" phone cable with modular handset 4P4C plugs for the remote head (6P4C/RJ11 line cord modular plugs are too large), & a short 2-3 foot, 8-conductor "silver satin" with RJ45 modular plugs & a coupler for the mic extension. A longer, unshielded mic extension cable will create some clock rate clicking in the TX audio, but no problem with this one.

KY9UBI

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I'm assuming you routed the power and antenna cables under the door sill, but how did you route the faceplate and mic wiring? Moreover, did you need the extra length for the mic or was it more convenience?

bcast

Yes, routed power & antenna cable under door sill, same for the remote head cable & then routed it behind the dash to the top of the center console. Adding the mic extension & coupler was necessary for ordinary use & to be able to hang it up on the dash mounted clip.

KY9UBI

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I can't mount under the seat in my 2011 Corolla because it's too crowded and there is an air vent there so I'll have to do a trunk mounted system under the package shelf. Not perfect but best mount I can do safely. Now debating which receiver to get and where to mount head unit.

lafd55

Why are the antennas mounted to the sides of the trunk and not the front lip? Other then that a nice setup!

rorytek

Hello BCast, great install and just what I was looking for, I have a 2007 Rolla and want to do the same thing. When I called Chrutchfield the rep had no idea about a double din mount. Now that I have the info I'll get ordering it pronto. My setup will be some type of AM/FM/CD/iPhone deal with a BCD536hp and I already have a FT-7900 on a gooseneck. I'll post pix when I get it going.

Thanks for the post and info.

Status
Not open for further replies.