RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Scanner installation Toyota Tundra 2011

Looking for help and ideas on mounting BC-996T in my new 2011 Toyota Tundra I already have mounted the antenna using a truck mount on the front hood. I am willing to drill just looking for many ideas so I can find what I feel will be the best for me.
Old 07-10-2011, 2:31 PM

I have a gen2 Tundra as well. It was kind of difficult to mount the radio. What I did was actually put the scanner into the center console (I have the front bucket seats). Easy to get power and antenna to it, and it is out of view. It has worked great. I will post some pics.

WM
Old 07-10-2011, 3:03 PM

I don't like a crowded cab. I have 3 radios in the cab total. Scanner, 2/70cm, and an HF rig.

Rooftop antennas for the ham bands and scanner and a cell booster. I use a large screwdriver for my hf stuff.

My HF rig is inside the center console, under the cup holders. There is actually enough room to put a full radio, speaker, and all needed interfaces under the console. If you have a remote mount rig, that is where I would put it. In the pic, the body of the radio is under the cupholders that you see under the radio face.

Old 07-10-2011, 3:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The best and cleanest installation will be to mount it in-dash.

The 2011 Tundra has a large factory radio. Replace it with a molded installation kit with two DIN sized openings. You can mount an aftermarket DIN stereo in the top slot and your 996T in the lower slot (or vise-versa). The 996T is a DIN radio (when the outer metal case it unscrewed) that will bolt directly into the installation kit.

Mount it this way and you'll have a very clean looking, fully installed system that is easily viewable and controllable from the drivers seat (and chances are you'll have better audio quality with an aftermarket stereo as well ). All your wiring will be hidden behind the dashboard panels and you won't have to give up any interior storage compartment space.

You mentioned that you are willing to drill; but since everything just bolts/plugs in, there should be no need to drill into anything. Good Luck
Old 07-12-2011, 2:26 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Get a Pro-Fit mount

Here is what I did in my Sequoia (same interior). I bought a mount from Pro-Fit (Pro.Fit International - Mounting Solutions for Cell Phones and GPS) and mounted the bodies of the radios under the drivers seat on a board. I put extension speakers under the center console. the really good part is that there are no holes drilled in my truck (resale value) and it looks very professional.

The scanner power is not controlled by the remote head power switch so I installed a rocker power switch on the board under the seat that is accessible on the outside of the seat. I can easily switch the radios on and off when I am getting in or out of the truck.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2011, 7:22 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

Thanks for the great ideas
Old 08-13-2011, 8:19 AM

So where are the 2 control heads going to go when the air bag goes off???? The look like they will make a B-Line right for your head...