RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 PM

Default Splitting AUX input

I currently have an aftermarket AUX input kit for my OEM Honda stereo. It gives me the standard red/white RCA connectors which I used to give me 1 male 3.5mm headphone in. Currently my AUX input is connected to my XM radio for the clearest sound quality (FM transmitter reception sucks). Is there any possible way I can somehow have two devices connected at once (only one device would be outputting audio at a given time). The simple solution is to just unplug the 3.5mm jack and plug it into my scanner/ipod but this is annoying as I have only a small amount of wire coming out from the dash in order to make my XM install cleaner.

Basically I want to have 2 male 3.5mm jacks available at once so I can keep one plugged into my XM radio and have another for a separate device.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Usually someone asks about combining speaker outputs, which can be a real can of worms. Combining aux audio is more straightforward and an oops doesn't produce much smoke.

As long as the source of the audio is AC coupled (no DC voltage constant on the output) you can probably get away with a second 3.5mm jack wired in parallel across the existing jack so both devices can be plugged in at the same time. This can be done with an dual adaptor, a "Y" cable or wire in your own seperate jack. Problems could arise (hum or buzz) but not likely. Anyway, its cheap to do and worth a try. Wouldn't see how it could damage its input.

A slicker way would be to use a mixer. It would give you control over the input levels and provide isolation between the different devices. You could mount it in your glove box and have input jacks out where you get to them.

http://www.music123.com/Pro-Audio/Mi...180617.product

Last edited by ramal121; 08-18-2011 at 12:46 AM..
Old 08-18-2011, 1:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramal121 View Post
A slicker way would be to use a mixer. It would give you control over the input levels and provide isolation between the different devices. You could mount it in your glove box and have input jacks out where you get to them.

http://www.music123.com/Pro-Audio/Mi...180617.product
That's a good idea - I use one of those ART mixers at home, and it has panning too, so you can separate what comes out of the right & left channels... ART PowerMIX III | Sweetwater.com

But they need to be powered.
You could use a passive one like this:
Rolls MX42 Mini Stereo Mixer

Or how about a switch like this that uses 3.5mm... you could simplify your cabling that way.
Sescom A/B