RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 9:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 2010 Impala Console Ideas?

I just recently purchased a 2010 Chevy Impala with 25K miles. It has the "bench" seat (actually 2 bucket seats with a armrest that folds up for the 3rd seat.) The gear shift is on the column. Another ham friend of mine has a similar 2008 Impala, and we're both trying to come up with ideas on how to get preferably a full sized console into our cars.

It's our understanding that in the 9C1/9C3 model, there is something called a "crumple zone bracket" that the rear of the console bracket mounts to. Does anyone know if this is a part that can be bought through a parts department at a dealer? Has anyone done an install in one of these cars without this bracket?

The radios that I'm looking to mount in the car are a Yaesu FT-8800R, Alinco DR-06T, Alinco DR-235T, and a Motorola MCS2000 (900 MHz). I may add a scanner in the future, if there's room. I'd like to completely remove what is currently in the center, and purchase the armrest and cupholders that will go into the Ram Mount console, for example.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2012, 9:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

That bracket is already in there Under the seat, The best thing is to remove the flip out center and buy a Impala console for bucket seats. You can mount up to 4 radios depending on size.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 AM

There are several options available. Jotto offers an angleD console with 12" of mounting (4 radios) with an optional floor plate and Console storage armrest. I just finished an unmarked impala. I purchased the floor plate from Troy Products, a tunnel console with 18" of mounting space and an optional armrest on the back of it. Once you get a floor plate, the options are pretty far out. You are not locked into anything "vehicle specific" with this car except that mounting floor plate. The rest is all in how creative you can become. Good luck!

RJC
KJ4NFP
Old 01-28-2012, 12:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Nice car

Yes, I agree, Jotto desk or Havis make full size consoles for the Impala. Remove the entire enter armrest and use existing seat bolts to mount your console.

Dave
N6RDT
Old 01-29-2012, 9:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a 2008 Impala with the same seats... I'm going to be installing the console in the link below. I am a reseller of emergency warning equipment and have access to a full line of Havis and Jotto Desk consoles. Let me know if you'd like a price on a particular product.

Havis: C-1800-IMP: Console, Enclosed Console Series, 18" Total mounting space, 0 Degrees, Housing complete, With vehicle mount, Narrow bottom
GMRS - WQJW252
Sponsored links

Old 01-31-2012, 11:56 AM

I dropped a full Havis Track-Mount console into an '07 9C3 Impala with that same center fold-up bench seat. It's held in by 4 bolts and a hinge in the front and can be removed completely to make room for a full console. Instead of the split-level Track-Mount base made for the 9C1 models I used a straight 17'' base bolted in the back to the rearmost center seat bolts with modified Havis '00-'05 Impala rear seat brackets and anchored in the front with the Havis Impala front seat bracket. On top of that I mounted the '06-'12 Impala angled console under the dash and a straight 10'' Impala box between the seats. It worked like a champ and didn't shake or rattle at all.

I have more/better pics on my computer at the house but here's one handy to me on the web:
Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is that the "No such thing exists" AVA with a HHCH set up?
Old 02-09-2012, 8:51 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

please do share...what do have the HHCH running? i have been wanting one of those for some time, just haven't found the right deal/setup....

Doc
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I decided to go with the RAM mount console. I was able to get the bracket that mounts to the 4 bolts on the bottom sides and raises up the level in the rear, from a dealer. This piece is standard in the public safety version.

It was a lot of work, but it's installed! Now to get the antennas mounted and power hooked up...
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Looks good.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What is the "tray" or sectioned area just underneath the armrest and below the four cigarette lighter jacks? I see the word "MOUNT" upside down on it but can't discern the rest of the writing.

From personal experience, I found out that having the cup holders behind the arm rest allowed front and rear seat passengers use of them. Also, keeping the cup holders away from the radios or electronic controls avoided possible spills or splashing from contents of vessels used for beverages.
"Hams Against Magnetic Mounts"
Old 03-26-2012, 3:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's just one of the ram mount accessory trays that I got to fill the rest of the space, and give me some storage room. It has the tray on top with those 3 sections, and that will also lift off, revealing a small box below. I haven't decided on the final configuration of where everything will go yet, so things could change.