RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 5:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default LED Light setup help

Hello. I am hoping this would be the right and the best forum to post on. (mods feel free to move this if it may not be in the correct section).

My high school auto shop is building a vehicle to use for what we call the NASCAR Pit Challenge. It is going to be used during our car show on May 12th. Competitors have to compete to take tires on and off the fastest. Whoever wins, gets a prize.

I am in charge of finding the LED's we need to make it look awesome. I believe we have agreed on doing a sort of police vehicle setup with blue/red/amber/white LED's. I will get a few pictures of the vehicle we have made online on Monday when I get back to school. And the vehicle has no motor. The only parts that are left are the unibody frame, suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, and most of the interior.

I first need help finding a good website that sells inexpensive LED's, control modules, switches, programmable LED displays, and even maybe some batteries and wiring. I have about $500 to spend on the LED's and related accessories.

We will be having a programmable LED display in the front windshield. Timers/clocks and push button switches to activate the timers. Flashing lights on the front windshield, dash, rear, and grille area.

Any help would be appreciated! And I will definitely be posting pics of the car before and after.
Old 03-31-2012, 5:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibzzer15 View Post
Hello. I am hoping this would be the right and the best forum to post on. (mods feel free to move this if it may not be in the correct section).

My high school auto shop is building a vehicle to use for what we call the NASCAR Pit Challenge. It is going to be used during our car show on May 12th. Competitors have to compete to take tires on and off the fastest. Whoever wins, gets a prize.

I am in charge of finding the LED's we need to make it look awesome. I believe we have agreed on doing a sort of police vehicle setup with blue/red/amber/white LED's. I will get a few pictures of the vehicle we have made online on Monday when I get back to school. And the vehicle has no motor. The only parts that are left are the unibody frame, suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, and most of the interior.

I first need help finding a good website that sells inexpensive LED's, control modules, switches, programmable LED displays, and even maybe some batteries and wiring. I have about $500 to spend on the LED's and related accessories. You should be able to get 4-8 light depending on what you go with. Switches are pretty expensive as well, you might be better off buying cheap switches and a couple of relays.

We will be having a programmable LED display in the front windshield. Timers/clocks and push button switches to activate the timers. Flashing lights on the front windshield, dash, rear, and grille area.

Any help would be appreciated! And I will definitely be posting pics of the car before and after.

Emergency lighting is very expensive even on the cheaper side of it. Prestige emergency lighting is pretty cheap. You aren't going to get much for $500 even with the cheaper brands. Check them out, they are probably your best bet.

Last edited by bnoland; 03-31-2012 at 6:03 PM..
Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'll check them out, thanks.
Old 04-01-2012, 4:33 PM

LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

Lots of led stuff here

Br330T Pro 93 tapped Pro 95 tapped
Arc330Pro BcTool Freescan
Old 04-01-2012, 4:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3825 View Post
That could work perfectly....cheap too...ty!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So that is the car we are building...if any car enthusiasts are out there, please feel free to identify the car cause to be honest, i have no idea what it is...but any help on LED setups would be awesome. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Some of it almost looks like a design from the third generation Chevrolet Camaro.Then some of it looks like a 1971-1973 period Ford Mustang.

Where did you get it?

Last edited by Rt169Radio; 04-04-2012 at 11:35 PM..
Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It isn't actually mine. A student gave it to my auto shop teacher back in 2006 or 2007 and the teacher finally found something to make with it.

Plus its also a fiberglass body (if that makes a difference)
Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Do you have any more pictures of it?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'll get some more tomorrow. I just ran past the auto shop today right as they were closing the doors so I couldnt get that great pictures.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 AM

Strobesnmore Brand of lights aren't that badly priced.
Old 04-05-2012, 6:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would avoid red & blue lights, since that can lead to legal problems.

Sound Off Signal makes some nice products. Look for a dealer near you:
http://www.soundoffinc.com/
Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My advice would be to hunt for an emergency vehicle outfitter in the area that could logo up your car a bit for advertising and loan you guys the lights or make a donation - then call up the media and get them involved in the positive aspect of HS auto class etc and make it an advertising win/win for everyone. You arent going to be able to find decent equipment to light a whole car for $500.
Old 04-06-2012, 1:00 AM

It appears to me to be a kit car, but I have been out of that scene for over ten years. Off the top of my head, the rear and side look like a Sebring, but some aspects of the side and front look like a Cymbria.

Do you know what the donor car underneath is? I have seen Sebrings on donor chassis from Mustangs to Trans Ams, whereas the Cymbria, IIRC, was dropped on a Porsche 911 chassis.

Then again I could be completely wrong, as my memory just may not be what it used to be.

EDIT TO ADD:

I emailed the photos above to my cousin, who immediately identified it as a Fiberfab Aztec. He is 100% sure.

Last edited by methusaleh; 04-06-2012 at 1:20 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2012, 2:21 AM

Maybe check some of the local police depts, they may, or may not have some stuff to get rid of. It can't hurt to ask !
Old 04-06-2012, 3:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A local outfitter might have some decommissioned equipment, too.
Old 04-06-2012, 7:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by methusaleh View Post
It appears to me to be a kit car, but I have been out of that scene for over ten years. Off the top of my head, the rear and side look like a Sebring, but some aspects of the side and front look like a Cymbria.

Do you know what the donor car underneath is? I have seen Sebrings on donor chassis from Mustangs to Trans Ams, whereas the Cymbria, IIRC, was dropped on a Porsche 911 chassis.

Then again I could be completely wrong, as my memory just may not be what it used to be.

EDIT TO ADD:

I emailed the photos above to my cousin, who immediately identified it as a Fiberfab Aztec. He is 100% sure.
Yup,your right.It is a Fiberfab Aztec.

Last edited by Rt169Radio; 04-06-2012 at 7:17 AM..
Old 04-06-2012, 7:58 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That is a kit. Not sure what the out side is suppose to be but the chassis is a 90-94 Mitsubishi Eclipse/ Eagle Talon/ Plymouth Laser. Judging from the rear suspension it is one of the FWD models. Looking at the steering wheel that looks like an Eagle on the bottom middle of the center spoke so it is likely the Eagle Talon version of the 3. Also know is a DSM.

You can really tell the dash is the same in this one but it has an aftermarket steering wheel.

Last edited by bnoland; 04-06-2012 at 8:08 AM..
Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Well,

That's a cool car/ idea!!

As far as lighting goes-

I'd use:

Google- Search "Cheap LED vehicle lighting"
Emergency Vehicle Equipment, Amber Warning Lights & Tactical Gear - MHQ Police supplier

Custom Badges, Stock Badges, Badge Wallets & Badge Accessories - Great Savings at CHIEF | $5 Shipping Sitewide!
Custom badges/ LED lights

Hope this helps!
Computer and Tech enthusiast