RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Combining Multipe Radios to One Speaker

I'm referencing 2 threads here, an earlier one and a later one respectively.
Multiple radios, 1 speaker/master volume
Multiple Radios/One speaker

So, against Halfpint's judgment in the first thread. I tried a Behringer MX-400, and as he said, it doesn't like "speaker" level inputs, it distorts and won't take the full volume to my speaker. My issue now is the the definition of "line level input." Halfpint used the words "line" and "speaker" level inputs where line is low (mV) and speaker is high (V).

I know this unit will work, but it costs too much.
Fleet Radio Combiner

A unit called the Radio Design Labs ST-MX3 is purported to do what I want in the first thread, but there isn't much reinforcement that it does what I'm looking for. It uses the words mic level for low I'm assuming and line level for high, but I don't really know what our radios put out on this whole spectrum. Anyone have any experience with it? I bought one because one guy is selling them for 14 bucks shipped on eBay right now, so if I don't get any responses, I'll know next week.

eBay link for Radio Labs ST-MX3

Last edited by KD0IPM; 04-07-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2012, 4:14 AM

You may want to check this out:

Altoids Tin 1/8" Stereo Mixer
Old 04-08-2012, 6:06 AM

Part of the issue is what type of audio output does the radio your trying to connect to have? The reason I say this is some radios like Motorola use the type of speaker driver that has voltage on both speaker wires. You can't ground either side or you will blow the IC chip that is driving the speaker.

A better way would be to use some coupling transformers and a series coupling cap to block any DC voltage present. Then on the other side of the transformer, you could combine all the transformers into a single common point and then feed that into your computer audio sound board or a low cost speaker amp. The transformers should have an impedance to match what they are connected to. It is not that hard to find some 600 ohm to something like an 8 ohm construction. Put the 8 ohms to the radios and the 600 to the audio amp.
Old 04-09-2012, 5:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Have you looked at NCS brand equipment?
Old 04-09-2012, 3:44 PM
DataBase Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I use one of these for all of my Aviation scanners, and it works great. I do use an amplified speaker.

BEHRINGER: RX1602
Rules and guidelines for forum post content
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2012, 5:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is for the mobile. NCS stuff is cool but costs too much. I need something that works off of line or speaker level. We'll see if this Radio Labs thing works. The Fleet Radio deal is ideal, but also costs too much.
Old 04-09-2012, 8:32 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I bought a Rolls MX122 mixer. They can be found on-line for around $100. I haven't used it mobile, but it's small enough that it could be used in that environment.

Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Products MX122 MiniMix Pro Mic/Source Mixer

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU