• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scanner audio through vehicle speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

My 2009 Tucson has an auxiliary input jack. I was wondering if it is possible or advisable to hook up the audio audio output from a BC355N to that so it woud play through the speakers.

Dave

jackj

Yes. You would need an audio jumper cable, of course. Look for a stereo or three circuit jumper. You should be able to find one at Wall Mart or most places that sell car radios.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
You might look for a cable with at least one right angle plug! That way it does not stick out so far from either the back of the 355N or the aux jack on the dash. Just another thing, in either place, to get hit and or break!!!!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Mono Vs Stereo

I am dropping by Radidiot Shack this morning anyway. I will look for one there. Thanks!

In my opinion, I get more volume by using a mono cable. Mine comes out the left side where I can hear. If I use stereo, it is not as loud. I even have a high power JBL amp in my car. It really sounds good.

elwood_blues

Way back when, I had a '71 Chevy Nova. Since I had put in a custom stereo and speakers, I had connected my old Regency 10 channel crystal based scanner (stylin' at the time...) into the factory dashboard speaker.

But like Kennyloatman said, if you use the AUX jack, you lose all your other audio. Get a good/cheap Motorola speaker and keep it separate.

W2NJS

The aux input jack in the car is probably stereo. That means that the tip and ring are the left and right channels and the barrel of the plug/jack is the common. If your scanner has a mono output you wire the mono output to the tip and ring, and the common of the scanner output to common of the plug you're going to plug into the aux input. By doing so you should get scanner audio from both sides of your car's system. It's also quite possible that store such as RS will have this type cable available pre-made and all you then have to do is plug it in.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
The aux input jack in the car is probably stereo. That means that the tip and ring are the left and right channels and the barrel of the plug/jack is the common. If your scanner has a mono output you wire the mono output to the tip and ring, and the common of the scanner output to common of the plug you're going to plug into the aux input. By doing so you should get scanner audio from both sides of your car's system. It's also quite possible that store such as RS will have this type cable available pre-made and all you then have to do is plug it in.

That is how mine works and Radio Shack did have the ready to go cable.

jackj

Can't speak for Uniden but GRE's PSR-800 uses a stereo jack on the scanner. So a standard stereo jumper works great with my 800.

dmg1969

I'm an idiot. I completely forgot to pick one up when I stopped in. I had a million things to do and places to be and just plain forgot. On the plus side, I have one at work that I can try for a day or two to see if I like it. It's probably only mono, but it will give me an idea. I am also considering a separate speaker, so that will help me decide without spending any $.

Dave

dmg1969

I tried it on lunch using a mono audio cable from work and it did work. Still not sure if I could do without the radio. Probably opt for an external speaker instead.

GrumpyGuard

I have my 106 in a homemade cup holder stand with a small 2" radio shack speaker attached to the stand. I did the speaker mod using a jumper wire from the base of the antenna to the speaker jack and this works very well.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I am using a wireless fm transmitter from Walmart to supply the audio the vans radio. Its to be working great.

dfbarnes

Easy Solution

My suggestion is you go buy a 2009 or newer Dodge Charger Police. There is an input on the police interface for audio that will play the scanner audio over the factory speakers, muting the radio/cd when there's scanner traffic, and playing the radio/cd when there's not.

:)

GrumpyGuard

My suggestion is you go buy a 2009 or newer Dodge Charger Police. There is an input on the police interface for audio that will play the scanner audio over the factory speakers, muting the radio/cd when there's scanner traffic, and playing the radio/cd when there's not.

:)

Best option to date, or see if you can put an interface together.

Status
Not open for further replies.