RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 6:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Sliding mount for glovebox concealment

I have a new BDC996XT scanner that I'd like to be able to conceal in my glove box. Ideally I am envisioning some sort of sliding mounting bracket such that I could open the glove box, pull the scanner out by the slider (mounted to solid top of glove box, ideally with even a swivel to give me a good clear view. Obviously it also needs to lock into place.

I figure this is something I could probably fabricate without to much difficulty, but anyone know of any such a mount for purchase. My extensive searches haven't turned up anything.

I have an SUV, so the glove box is more than big and deep enough to more than accomodate something.

Thanks much in advance.
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2013, 8:04 AM

Just do a google search on "CB radio slide mount" and you'll see lots of pictures. Years ago I used one on a CB radio and served it's purpose for theft removal. You'll see they have power contacts and antenna connectors. The link below is only for a picture similar to what I used and looks like they may still be available. Actually, I just threw mine out 3 weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/quick-rele...-/130743380819

Last edited by GSPD; 02-06-2013 at 8:19 AM..
Old 02-06-2013, 7:39 PM

I think what he is asking is for a mount that can slide in and out with the door open to use not remove like an old CB mount those didnt work well anyway. As far as I know as a professional upfitter of public safety equipment and radios that what the OP wants is not comercially avalible.
Old 02-07-2013, 2:29 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
I think what he is asking is for a mount that can slide in and out with the door open to use not remove like an old CB mount those didnt work well anyway. As far as I know as a professional upfitter of public safety equipment and radios that what the OP wants is not comercially avalible.
That's correct, thanks. I'm not looking for something that enables me to remove the radio. Rather, to have it reasonably concealed in the glove box, then when I want to put in service my hope is that I could open the glove box, then slide the unit out on a bracket (like a drawer runner - not sure of the exact name) into view and reach, and lock it in place. Then, when I'm done, slide it back in and close the glove box.

All the "slide mounts" I seem to be finding seem to be intended to "slide the unit out from it's mount and walk away with it". That's not what I'm looking for.

I'm really surprised no one seems to make them. It kind seems like a no brainer concealment/easy deploy option.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 8:09 PM

We just mount the smaller radios or control heads in the glove box. I just put a PM400 in a glove box of a 2009 nissan maxima for a detective car this week
Sponsored links

Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Lots of ideas here

HiNT Peripherals - Computer Mounts and Accessories