RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 7:35 PM

Default Please help with finding/installing underhood speaker

I am looking at a Galls siren. It is called Galls Full Function Siren. Item# SK124 | Mfg# ST160. I am also looking for a speaker that would fit under the hood of my '04 Ford Taurus. I was wondering if anybody knew of a good, high quality/low price speaker that would fit and also if anybody knew how i could mount the siren inside of my car. I dont want a big console, just a simple bracket to mount my siren on. Thank you.
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2013, 5:04 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I wish I could help you but this is a scanner/radio forum, not a siren forum... Did you try the siren manufacturer's web site? Many sirens are high-powered and require horn speakers designed to handle the power.

Check these out from Galls Speakers | Vehicle Equipment | Galls
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-Bob View Post
I wish I could help you but this is a scanner/radio forum, not a siren forum...
We do have a large member-base that's involved in public safety not to mention many professional two-way techs have to install this stuff too. So there's no reason he can't ask here. Not everyone here solely is a scanning enthusiast.

Normally we do not moved threads out of the New Member forum but for the sake of getting better help I'm going to move it to the install forum.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Old 03-13-2013, 4:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Compact 100 Watt Siren Speaker $59.95

Galls 100W Concealment Speaker

Those sirens usually mount well under dash with the included mounts, but they have some nice mounting options.

Last edited by W8RMH; 03-13-2013 at 4:57 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 6:10 AM
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneH View Post
We do have a large member-base that's involved in public safety not to mention many professional two-way techs have to install this stuff too. So there's no reason he can't ask here. Not everyone here solely is a scanning enthusiast.

Normally we do not moved threads out of the New Member forum but for the sake of getting better help I'm going to move it to the install forum.
Well I apologize then. But it WAS in the entirely wrong place, wasn't it? When you see "Scanners and Receivers Forums -> New User / Getting Started Forum" you assume it's for someone new to scanning or radio communications since the name of the web site is RADIOreference.com and the specific area it was posted under was "Scanners and Receivers Forums".

I did, however, offer a helpful link to the manufacturer's online store page with all the siren speakers...

Last edited by ST-Bob; 03-13-2013 at 6:53 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2013, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13schmn View Post
I am looking at a Galls siren. It is called Galls Full Function Siren. Item# SK124 | Mfg# ST160. I am also looking for a speaker that would fit under the hood of my '04 Ford Taurus. I was wondering if anybody knew of a good, high quality/low price speaker that would fit and also if anybody knew how i could mount the siren inside of my car. I dont want a big console, just a simple bracket to mount my siren on. Thank you.

Really hate to break the news to you, but "HIGH QUALITY" and "LOW" price just don't go together. If your looking for a good functioning speaker, expect to pay a good sum for it.

Galls has some fine siren speakers. I bought one way back in 1991 and still use it today. It's been through 3 different vehicles in that time span. I just make sure that I use some good anti seize compound all all the mounting hardware.
Old 03-13-2013, 6:58 AM

so when i install the siren below the dash do i just screw it into the plastic?
Old 03-13-2013, 8:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I would go with this one Whelen SA315P Projector Series Speaker. Whelen makes a specific bracket for it for the Taurus. Not cheap but dependable and once you hassle with figuring out how to mount others it’s probably worth the cost.

Last edited by eemsaftb; 03-13-2013 at 8:53 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 7:28 PM

Take it from someone who has installed dozens of speakers in a taurus. There are two ways to do it. One is removing the entire bumper cover and installing it behind the bumper cover in front of the drivers side wheel. with a speaker that is mounted to the frame rail on an L style bracket. The car horns need to be moved to the other side of the bracket to fit. The othe way is to get the front wheels up on a ramp and pull the wheel liner back and turn the wheels to give yourself some room to work. The speaker mouts the same way. This way is alot more difficult but once you have done it a few times it goes pretty easy. .Remove the speaker from the bracket The flat short side of the L goes against the frame and then mount the speaker so the the wording is as normal. Replace the factory horns you removed to the back side of the fender support. Replace the bumper or fender liner.

This is the speaker we use. Any other maker will work as long as it has a simular style bracket.
Attached Images

Last edited by FFPM571; 03-13-2013 at 7:33 PM..
Sponsored links