RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 8:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just a short note... have you looked at this thread 2011 Ford F-150 install
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2013, 9:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd9cms View Post
Just a short note... have you looked at this thread 2011 Ford F-150 install
Thanks for that! I'd somehow missed that one. I spent today alternating between recovering from food poisoning and learning quickly how to recover from a near disaster, with the truck almost going sideways over an 8 foot cliff in my yard in our first snowstorm of the year. Now that that's calmed down, I can focus on things like this again.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here's the explanation for the above post... My house is built into the side of a hill. My driveway/garage is actually 1 floor below my basement, and the first floor is 2 stories above the driveway. At the back of the house, the first floor is level with the backyard. We have made a practice of driving up a hill beside the house and parking in the back if we need to, say, bring groceries directly into the kitchen etc.

I parked up there last night to do just that, knowing it was going to snow today, and having expected to be on the road in the early AM for a fire course. My little bout of food poisoning kept me up all night and meant I didn't go to the course, so the truck sat all morning on the back yard while the snow continued to fall (about 4 inches by mid-afternoon, closer to 8 now and still falling). In mid-afternoon, I decided to move the truck back down to the garage so it wouldn't be buried even worse than it was. So I went back there, put it in 4-Low with hill descent on, and began to crawl down the slope, but gravity had other plans:

I slid down from the "background" of the right side of the pic, sideways, onto the top of the rock wall beside which my former daily driver is parked. The only thing keeping it from coming over is that there are a couple extra rocks above the ground on the top of the wall.

I don't yet have any decent recovery equipment - buying the truck was enough of a shock to my bank account. One tow strap tied off to a tree kept it from going further all afternoon, and at the end of the fire course, one of my colleagues with a Land Rover, a whole bunch of straps, and a winch and a pulley managed to pull me to my right and off the rocks, and we used straps to keep me to the right for the rest of the way down the hill.

So I guess parking up the back is off the table for the rest of the winter.

Now that I haven't totaled both my vehicles, I can contemplate radio installs again. Thanks as always for the advice everyone's been giving.
Old 10-28-2013, 9:40 AM

I always find the first scratch or dent on a new truck painful, glad to hear that there was no serious damage. Keep us posted on your radio installs!
Old 10-28-2013, 6:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wow ... that's no fun. Awesome truck good luck with the radio installation. I like the use of the cubby box for the radios, especially if you can keep the arm rest.

Bill
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2013, 9:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I used a Breedlove pocket hole NMO mount for attaching a scanner antenna to the bed of my 2013 Ford F250 Lariat pickup truck.

The EZN flat pocket bracket mount is described here, while the NMO options are shown here

I don't know what the seats or center console of your F-150 Raptor look like. My F250 has a center jump seat with a fold down back which doubles as a storage console and arm rest.

I bolted together two 12 inch steel shelf brackets, purchased at a home center store, to form a scanner mounting bracket. The shelf brackets are held firmly in place between the bottom of the center jump seat and the floor.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Jay-

My condolences to you. Bad luck with the bug and slide.

Parnass-

If you are open to a suggestion. . .

There are some threads exposed on the bolts on your cross bracket. In the photos (and it could be a perspective matter I'm seeing) it looks like these threads are close to the forward portion of the seat. I could see someone (like at a dealership when you bring it in for service) running the seat forward and these bolts poking holes in your seat covering.

But then the seat may already be as far forward as it goes and you've already got that covered, in which case my apologies for butting in.

Last edited by ofd8001; 10-28-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post
Parnass-

If you are open to a suggestion. . .

There are some threads exposed on the bolts on your cross bracket. In the photos (and it could be a perspective matter I'm seeing) it looks like these threads are close to the forward portion of the seat. I could see someone (like at a dealership when you bring it in for service) running the seat forward and these bolts poking holes in your seat covering ...
Thanks for the concern, but the center jump seat is stationary. It is firmly bolted to the cab floor and cannot move.
Old 10-29-2013, 5:21 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnass View Post
I don't know what the seats or center console of your F-150 Raptor look like.
The Raptor has bucket seats, a full console, and a console-mounted transmission shifter:

http://marlin-car.com/wp-content/upl...t-interior.jpg

http://sanwani.info/wp-content/uploa...1-0crt6of9.jpg

http://freakwheel.com/wp-content/upl...r-Interior.jpg

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2013, 9:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hows your installation going on the Raptor???
Old 11-14-2013, 9:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sorry, apparently I didn't post any updates in here. I mounted my HomePatrol on a ProClip (HP1 cradle JB-Weld'ed to the face of the ProClip). I have a photo of that somewhere, but I'm on the road right now so I don't have access to it.

I have an antenna waiting for me at the post office when I get home, which I will be mounting on the left front fender soon - but probably not this weekend (partially because I doubt I'll be able to get home in time to hit the post office, and they're not open on weekends).

I have another antenna for the ham radio, but I may not bother with that until spring since I have to route the cable thru the frame rail and into the cab somehow, and there's snow and slush and gunk all over the place up here now.

By the time I am ready to run the cable for the ham rig, maybe I will want to put a BCD536HP in place of the HP1.
Old 11-15-2013, 3:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the update,,,keep us posted. If you have pictures when get further please post them.
Old 12-27-2013, 9:28 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

While washing my truck the other day I found that I did suffer some damage from the antics in post #23.. a bit of the rubberized coating on the tail end of the running board was chipped and coming off.

Has anyone got a good depiction (or even good verbal directions) of where the grommet is that passes thru the firewall into the cabin? I need to get my scanner antenna installed and have to figure out how to get the cable into the cab from the engine bay.
Old 12-30-2013, 9:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Jay- That e-mail I sent you with the pix ever make it to you?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yeah, I got them just fine, thanks. Now I need to find time to make use of them.
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2014, 7:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Okay! Spare time and decent temps finally coincided today.

I'm still dealing with the routing of cables, but you'll see in the two attached images, where the HP1 sits on a ProClip mount, with a pigtail cable connecting to the Austin Spectra antenna cable. The cable goes out behind the glove box through a grommet high up on the right side firewall - that was the easiest one to access - and back across the leading edge of the part of the body right behind the hood, where there's a few clips that look especially designed to hold cable runs. The antenna is mounted on a Profit mount which uses a factory fender bolt. I am now picking up signals far better than any mounted antenna I've had in years!
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2014, 7:52 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Looks Good Jay.
Old 01-18-2014, 8:33 PM

Looks great, interesting looking antenna!
Old 01-18-2014, 9:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Jay: Here's the GPS puck on my 2013 Lariat. The tray in the center of the dash can be lifted and wires run that way if you was thinking about a way of running your antenna cable so it's a little more concealed and the connector doesn't scratch things as the truck moves.

Last edited by ofd8001; 01-18-2014 at 11:19 PM..