• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spectra A4 head with an XTL2500??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwfreq

Hello Everyone!

I have a very neatly installed Spectra A4 control head mounted in the center console of my car, and because of the rebanding I was able to swap a few of my old Spectras out for a new XTL2500.

My question is, can I utilize the Spectra A4 control head that I have mounted with the new XTL2500 brick?

If so, what will I need in order to do so?

Note: My XTL2500 is a remote mount configuration, so I do have all of the cables necessary to remotely install and mount the XTL2500.

Thanks in advance to all that reply!!

-KD6HXH

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The XTL would have to be an "A4" model radio to accept the head. All depends on the model. Many jurisdictions were able to keep their 5 & 7 heads when they upgraded from Spectras to XTLs. Just Google: xtl with spectra head .

wd9cms

Hi,

The XTL2500 will need a M5 remote control head, a CAN bus control head cable, and a power / speaker cable that plug into the rear of the control head. The remote head cable is a very thin cable compared to the A4 spectra cable. The good news is the M5 head is very close to the same size as the A4 so it should fit in the same location. The control head power / speaker cable is just that it allows you to power the head as well as ignition if the radio is programed correctly and a stander speaker plug.

Bill

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The XTL would have to be an "A4" model radio to accept the head. All depends on the model. Many jurisdictions were able to keep their 5 & 7 heads when they upgraded from Spectras to XTLs. Just Google: xtl with spectra head .

The XTL2500 was never offered in anything but an M5 head.

To upgrade, they would have to have had Astro Spectra's with a W head (A series heads are for analog Spectra's) and the radio they would be upgrading to would have been an XTL5000.

Bottom line, the OP needs an M5 head or an O5 head with some minor hacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.