RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Master of my domain
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 2012 Honda CR-V Acc Port

I installed a 996XT and a DR-638 in my 2012 Honda CR-V this week and have one little issue. I cannot seem to find a good place to tap 12VDC power so that the radios work in the Accessory and Run Ignition positions.

On the interior fusebox under the dash I can find fuses powered when the ignition is in the Run position or on all the time but none that come on in the Accessory position.

For now I connected to a fuse that turns on in the Run position so it works while i am driving but this also means the radios cannot be used if I just have it in Accessory mode.

I also cannot seem to find a good place to tap off of from the cigar lighter sockets, the wires are all well hidden in harnesses.

Any ideas other than plugging into a cigar lighter socket?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 PM

Not sure if the Honda's have it, but the Ford and GM's I've worked on have what they call "retained accessory power" (RAP). This is the function that allows the radio, power windows, etc. to work after the vehicle is shut off and before the door is opened. May not be exactly what you are looking for, but might be close enough.

Finding a circuit that has power when this function is active might be easier. I've got a Chevy Colorado truck at work and I found the lead that would have been used for the sun roof (if it had it). I was able to take that circuit, which was taped off in a harness inside the "A" pillar, and use that. Putting a fuse in the "sun roof" slot of the fuse box provided the power I needed.
I used the feed for the ignition sense lead for a couple of Kenwood VHF and 800MHz radios.

I'm sure as an amateur you know the issues with tapping into existing wiring, specifically noise and current capacity, so I won't go into that.

I would recommend pulling off the battery directly and using a relay switched by the RAP power.

Other option is to get something like a Lind timer: 2-hour Shut Down Timer (non-fused with screw terminal connections) | Lind Electronics
You can often find them (or similar models) on e-Bay. Tap the trigger line into the ignition and the power directly off the battery. Might cost a bit more, but will be more reliable and likely less noise issues.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 PM
Master of my domain
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, the Honda has the retained power for the windows and radio, my radios are now connected to one of these fuses so they shut off when the door is opened.

The problem is that none of these circuits seem to work in the ACC position, just the Ignition position.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG View Post
Yes, the Honda has the retained power for the windows and radio, my radios are now connected to one of these fuses so they shut off when the door is opened.

The problem is that none of these circuits seem to work in the ACC position, just the Ignition position.
Drop the dash panel, tag the wire at the key switch, run a heavy 10 ga fused wire from the battery to a standard relay. Connect the acc wire to coil side of relay, ground the other side of the coil. Make sure to solder and 33+ tape the tagged wire. Fusing it with 3 amp fuse would be a good idea too. This way you get the best use of the acc wire without over loading the key switch and you get clean power from the battery.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 AM

I agree. Unless you can find a schematic for this vehicle, Scotty's suggestion seems like your best option.
Sponsored links