• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mounting 436hp & 396 to Side of Suburban Center Console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
OK I lied ... it is a Yukon XL ... but I figured Suburban was just easier ... but anyway ...

I presently have three Uniden portables mounted in my 2002 Yukon XL, with the 436hp and 396x attached via mic clips. They are positioned over where the non-functioning tape deck is (you can see it in the photo it here sefrischling Shack and Equipment Photos) but I am now installing mobile radios in that spot and need to keep two of the portable scanners in the truck.

In the photo you see a UV 5R on the side, that was with a cheap-suction cup that worked for a while but kept breaking. What I am looking for here is suggestion to mount two permanent mounts on that side. I have no qualms about drilling holes in my truck to install them.

I'd like them further up, almost under the dash, and angled up so I can easily see them as I drive, which can be achieved with a "bendy arm" mount with a universal cradle, but I cannot find one that has a permanent, screw in, mount.

Is there a permanent mount pedestal that has a "bendy arm" with universal mobile phone cradle that I am missing? If so I hope someone can point me towards it because that would be perfect.

Other suggestions are certainly welcome.

Oh, I cannot attach them next to where the cup holder are, I keep two other radios there, so these need to be installed further back (another reason for the bendy arm, I can adjust them as needed)

brndnstffrd

A Ram mount would probably do what you are looking for, although most of them are a ball mount and not a flexible arm like you are asking for. Personally i like the ball mount better as it wont flex or move as you are driving.

Also Pro-Clip mounts makes some nice custom mounting brackets that are vehicle specific, which you would then attach the device holder to. Most of their device holders are geared towards cellphones, although i think they might have some for radios. The brackets themselves are nice because you can use a mount from another manufacturer like a short ballmount from Ram and attach it to the Pro-clip mount. I have an 03 GMC Sierra 2500HD, which has the same console as yours, just without the tapedeck with a Pro-clip mount. I dont have a scanner mounted in it, but i have a W3 control head for an XTVA mounted on one of the mounts facing me, with a Kenwood mic attached the side that i can take a picture of during the day to give you an idea. As a bonus, i didnt even have to drill any holes to secure it as it fits in between the trim panels. It came with some 3M tape to secure it, but i never even had to use it since it fits so well.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Thanks brndnstffrd,

I have looked at the ram mounts and the dual ball heads don't allow the radios to be positioned where I need them to be. The 6" and 4" are to long for how they'd need to be mounted. A while back I saw sort of a right angle mobile phone cradle that was a permanent mount that would work, but after a week of looking high and low I cannot find it anywhere

It was just a phone cradle with the four-screw mounting coming out of the right side of it. No ball, no flex, simple, but it doesn't seem to exist anywhere now that I am looking for it.

The ProClips don't work either for where I need it positioned.

15plus1

Try disassembling or removing the rubber suction part of the mount. Then drill mounting / screw hole(s) in the concave hard plastic piece. Screw / bolt it to dash. I've modified mounts like this in the past, and it works for me.
HTH

brndnstffrd

I know that you said that you have found what one that works, but Pro-clip does make a mount for that side of your dash where the baofeng is, it just goes slightly more to the right so it doesnt block your vent. I originally misread your post with where you wanted it mounted. I thought you wanted to put it where i have my mics mounted. I also see that your console is a little bit more different than i remembered them being. I didnt remember them changing that much. Anyway, i took a picture of it so i might as well post it even though you dont need it anymore. Maybe it could help someone else looking for a way to mount things in this bodystyle truck. Its not the best picture because its from a phone, but it works.

Attachments

• IMG_20141027_133718_298.jpg
    IMG_20141027_133718_298.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,526
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.