• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap No-Drill Mounting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyDuke

Premium Subscriber
Hey, I currently have a second scanner being shipped and I'm attempting to figure out how to mount it for a mobile set-up without drilling. I've looking into the lip mounts and thinking about doing that.

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture3/100_0269.jpg

I am planning on hooking the lip mount to the rear "3rd door" as it does not get opened much as is. Issue is every mount I find that is capable of this seems to be extremely expensive - like $40+ without the coax or grounding cables. Am I just crazy and this is the normal price or is there an alternative?

Just curious about what my options are - I'm currently looking into the cheaper window "clip" mounts as well that can also go out that rear window w/ a ducktail.

I'm scanning a lot of conventional from 140-400 and a 800 system at the moment from my current base setup, but this is bound to change as I go mobile.

Any suggestions help!

A 19 inch whip mounted on top of that cab would do you wonders. Antenna and cable around $25.

Short of that, get the bracket that goes in the slot between the hood and fender. Some use an existing bolt or hole to bolt through.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Looks like my S-10. I also did a fender mount and it works just fine. Getting through the firewall was a challenge, but got it done.
I would also advise to get a metal third door handle. And eventually a third door mechanism. I am on my third one. Good luck.

BobbyDuke

Premium Subscriber
I use fender mount brackets and love them.

Fortunately they make one specific to my vehicle, so it was a simple remove a bolt, place the bracket and reinstall the bolt. However there are generic ones available too.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/mobile-antenna-mounts-264/fender-bracket-mounts-268/

Yeah, I've seen ones for my truck as well, I'm just trying to avoid drilling the firewall again...

A 19 inch whip mounted on top of that cab would do you wonders. Antenna and cable around $25.

The more and more I look at my options this seems to be what I'm leaning towards - is it frowned upon to get antennas professionally installed? I don't trust myself to not mess up the drilling or rip the headliner...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I've seen ones for my truck as well, I'm just trying to avoid drilling the firewall again...

The more and more I look at my options this seems to be what I'm leaning towards - is it frowned upon to get antennas professionally installed? I don't trust myself to not mess up the drilling or rip the headliner...

Frowned upon? No, I wouldn't think so - there are some installs in the "Pictures of..." section on these forums where the vehicle shown was professionally done and the owner tells who did it. Sure, part of ham radio is "do it yourself" but if you don't feel comfortable then by all means have someone do it so you're happy and comfortable with the install.

But as a response to the first thing I quoted here, for my scanner I use a fender mount and then the coax is routed between the fender and the body, into the door jam, down to the bottom, then into the cab of the vehicle and out of sight. So that's an option if you don't want to drill...it might work for your vehicle, too. But best results for your radio would be an nmo on the roof if there are no height clearance issues.

PACNWDude

I sometimes use a suction cup wire antenna with a BNC connector on the end for scanners in rental cars. These can be found on auction sites for a few dollars with shipping. I order three or four at a time, sometimes forget to remove them from the rental cars. It allows me to take my handheld scanner with me around the country.
I just stick this antenna onto a window in as close to vertical position as possible, and get pretty good reception throughout all the bands except HF.

3mary2

Antenna mount

Look under the hood for the rubber boots they use to put around cables which go through the firewall. Look for steering wheel shaft comes through the firewall, using a coat hanger fish the cable through that way. I have done this several times and it's usually easy to do.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
A different idea based on experience

Now for something completely different: an on-glass mount antenna. And with those words will come the naysayers and pooh-pooh "glass mount antennas don't work". I'm here to write that they do when installed properly (not over tinted glass) and if your window doesn't have too much metal content (more on that in a moment).
But they DO work for wideband scanner reception. What does "work" mean to me? On my Uniden BCT15 using a Tram 1199 (less than $15 incl shipping on Amazon and elsewhere) I routinely receive:
- VHF Lo/Hi, UHF, and 800 mHz base and repeater stations from 20-30 miles away from the vehicle
- VHF Hi and UHF handhelds and mobiles 5-10 miles from the vehicle
- Civilian and military aircraft several hundred miles distant
- CB 5-10 miles and of course skip
My mobile scanning interest is exactly the above... not something two to three counties away. I just want to know what's going on around a 5-30 mile radius of my vehicle.
And the above examples are all with the antenna tilted down for garaging as shown in the pic (RR thread http://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-receiver-antennas/236659-new-member-general-question.html )
What about metal in the glass? Obviously you shouldn't install over any tinted area of glass. But you'll read on other threads here on RR that ALL vehicles have metal in the glass and that is why on-glass antennas won't work. Coulda' fooled me. Maybe something happened to auto glass since 1996 but mine works great on my '96 Jeep (pictured).
But what happens if you install it and it doesn't work? Well, you're out $15 plus less than an hour of your time. And if you want, the antenna is easily removed.... no holes remaining. What are the advantages of an on-glass/thru the glass antenna?
- Low profile for garaging/parking garages... and it folds down easily for really low clearance
- Easy to mount at/near roofline of vehicle for optimum height
- No holes in body
- No holes in firewall.... all cabling is INSIDE the cab/passenger compartment and very easy to conceal and route to scanner
- No scratched paint (unlike mag mounts)
- Works better than suction cup antennas, clip on window antennas, and AM/FM scanner antenna couplers (I know... I've tried them all)
- If it doesn't work the way you want, you're only out $15 and a little of your time... and free to try more expensive alternatives.
And no... I don't work for Tram or Amazon. Just someone interested in practical antennas at reasonable cost with minimal vehicle modifications.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Now for something completely different: an on-glass mount antenna. And with those words will come the naysayers and pooh-pooh "glass mount antennas don't work". I'm here to write that they do when installed properly (not over tinted glass) and if your window doesn't have too much metal content (more on that in a moment).
But they DO work for wideband scanner reception. What does "work" mean to me? On my Uniden BCT15 using a Tram 1199 (less than $15 incl shipping on Amazon and elsewhere) I routinely receive:
- VHF Lo/Hi, UHF, and 800 mHz base and repeater stations from 20-30 miles away from the vehicle
- VHF Hi and UHF handhelds and mobiles 5-10 miles from the vehicle
- Civilian and military aircraft several hundred miles distant
- CB 5-10 miles and of course skip
My mobile scanning interest is exactly the above... not something two to three counties away. I just want to know what's going on around a 5-30 mile radius of my vehicle.
And the above examples are all with the antenna tilted down for garaging as shown in the pic (RR thread http://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-receiver-antennas/236659-new-member-general-question.html )
What about metal in the glass? Obviously you shouldn't install over any tinted area of glass. But you'll read on other threads here on RR that ALL vehicles have metal in the glass and that is why on-glass antennas won't work. Coulda' fooled me. Maybe something happened to auto glass since 1996 but mine works great on my '96 Jeep (pictured).
But what happens if you install it and it doesn't work? Well, you're out $15 plus less than an hour of your time. And if you want, the antenna is easily removed.... no holes remaining. What are the advantages of an on-glass/thru the glass antenna?
- Low profile for garaging/parking garages... and it folds down easily for really low clearance
- Easy to mount at/near roofline of vehicle for optimum height
- No holes in body
- No holes in firewall.... all cabling is INSIDE the cab/passenger compartment and very easy to conceal and route to scanner
- No scratched paint (unlike mag mounts)
- Works better than suction cup antennas, clip on window antennas, and AM/FM scanner antenna couplers (I know... I've tried them all)
- If it doesn't work the way you want, you're only out $15 and a little of your time... and free to try more expensive alternatives.
And no... I don't work for Tram or Amazon. Just someone interested in practical antennas at reasonable cost with minimal vehicle modifications.

I would say the glass mount antenna would work better for receive only (i.e. scanner use) than a radio (i.e. tx). I think those who typically say the glass mount antennas won't work are referring to the antenna for radio use, where you would be transmitting. A glass mount is certainly an option for a scanner when someone doesn't want to drill holes or use a lip mount, etc.

For transmitting I would certainly advise the glass mount as the last resort and to not expect tremendous results.

Not at all. Many people do that due to lack of time, tools, or any other reason. You may even find a ham friendly shop the will do it at a reasoable price.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I would say the glass mount antenna would work better for receive only (i.e. scanner use) than a radio (i.e. tx). I think those who typically say the glass mount antennas won't work are referring to the antenna for radio use, where you would be transmitting. A glass mount is certainly an option for a scanner when someone doesn't want to drill holes or use a lip mount, etc.

For transmitting I would certainly advise the glass mount as the last resort and to not expect tremendous results.

Which is exactly why I was careful to write ".... for wideband scanner RECEPTION". I made no mention of transmitting with an on-glass antenna (although Larsen does make a glass mount antenna for transmitting).

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Which is exactly why I was careful to write ".... for wideband scanner RECEPTION". I made no mention of transmitting with an on-glass antenna (although Larsen does make a glass mount antenna for transmitting).

Yes I know, I was agreeing with you and also mentioning why some say not to use glass mounts -- they mean they aren't the greatest for transmitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.