• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Firecom 5100D/wireless headset issues with XTLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

superfreak

Anybody else having fits with the audio levels? I have been hammering on Firecom for a fix and I have a few test units in the field with a different firmware.

The relationship of radio volume/audio input gain/headset volume is excruciating to maintain a functional system. Turn the volume down on the radio and the system doesn't pass radio audio, Turn it up and the cab speakers are deafening. The microphone/noise blanker on the headsets requires users to eat their microphones.

Users get frustrated and watch the videos and try "pair" the headsets to the different bases in the rigs (each rig has 2 single channel bases and multi, except for the tillers which have an additional single channel in the tiller cab)

The whole pairing thing is annoying. David Clark doesn't an real user adjustments or pairing (thank goodness) but their wireless solution is pointless with a belt pack and a battery that needs to be removed to charge.

Any other users in a larger fleet (100+ apparatus/vehicles)

cmdrwill

A common problem with headset interfaces. Look for the Filtered Audio output on the radio's Accessory connector. That audio is NOT affected by the volume control on the radio. It is line level and fixed 'volume'. Filtered Audio feeds the headset input, not speaker audio.

superfreak

That would be the obvious answer, but the line level doesn't put out enough audio. I would have to install an inline audio amp. The factory Firecom cables are meant to take speaker audio and that is how the intercom is designed.

I have a beta firmware version that Firecom is trying with us. It still doesn't fix all of the associates issues.

I can't go add audio amps or retrofit 70-100rigs. I think there are at least 100 Firecom intercoms, 200 wireless bases and 400+ headsets in service.

The analog 3000 series and wires headsets worked (but isn't very durable). The new 5100D and the wireless headsets are taking a day a week for tech support.

David Clark would be the obvious choice, but their wireless system uses a belt pack and the batteries need to be removed to be charged.

I am looking for others with similar issues.

rjg1978

I am not sure if you have looked at Setcom, but Setcom makes a radio interface module that allows you to align the in-cab speaker audio level with the headset speaker level so that you do not need to constantly adjust the radio.

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
Did you ever get your problem resolved? I'm having the same issues with low receive volume with a 5100d and an XTL5000. I just swapped the 5100d for a 3000 series intercom and that seems to work fine. I had the radio RX volume settings on the 5100d maxed out and I had to have the volume about 80% to 100% on the radio to have usable audio in the headsets. I planned on calling Firecom, but figured I would do a quick search on the issue and came up with this thread.

superfreak

Did you ever get your problem resolved? I'm having the same issues with low receive volume with a 5100d and an XTL5000. I just swapped the 5100d for a 3000 series intercom and that seems to work fine. I had the radio RX volume settings on the 5100d maxed out and I had to have the volume about 80% to 100% on the radio to have usable audio in the headsets. I planned on calling Firecom, but figured I would do a quick search on the issue and came up with this thread.

Yes, I have extensive knowledge now..

You need to beat up Firecom and ask for revision E or G Firmware on the 5100D. You then can turn the volume way down on the radio if needed. Also, my preference was to force them to use the flat audio out of the XTL radio, but it suffers from bad noise. The only way to fix this is to build or use their inline power noise filter.

The benefits of the flat audio is that the radio can be at whatever volume and not affect the intercom radio level.

Other things to look for are to make sure you keep the wireless headset noise gate settings at the factory default of 5, maybe 4 if you are getting complaints about cutting in and out. The microphone needs to be almost touching the mouth (manual says 1/8") Of course make sure you keep the wind socks on as that affects things as well.

Turn of the intercom settings for headset squelch if you are using wireless headsets, but make sure to leave it on if you are using wired (or the ladder intercom type_

Make sure to have the wireless units powered on all the time, if they power cycle when the rig starts up, the headsets reboot which causes a 20 second delay on their function, just as the crew leaves the station.

If you want to know more, or have any questions, call me at work. I believe I know more than most people at Firecom at this point. Keep in mind they have discontinued the first generation wireless bases/headsets.

206 three eight four 1602

Status
Not open for further replies.