• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Drilling Holes in 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4njj

Sin City Repeater Network
Group:

I recently upgraded to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Unlike a lot of people, I want to punch holes in the roof. My vehicle has a moon roof, and does not have any dome lights or anything of the sort. I know this complicates things, especially the moon roof. Has anyone actually drilled holes to install the antenna? I see a lot of info on the different types of mounts, but I prefer to go this direction. Any tips would be helpful.

Again, it's a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit edition.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
+1 to hire a pro! Shouldn't be more than $50 or so per hole and NMO mount and cable pull to dash or wherever! For that you don't have to worry...but provide the mounts! Horrible markup if you don't!
Now this price is for the same work down here in Big D!!! YMMV!!!!

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It's not difficult if you have the right tools.

First you have to drop the headliner (go ahead and move the sunroof back) a few inches so you can peak around and see what's there. Once you find a spot that's out of the way of the sunroof and cross bracing, you drill from the top with a NMO hole saw. After you punch through, clean the area around the hole with a damp rag and then route your coax in from the hole down into the car (if you have side curtain air bags you need to route around so the coax doesn't impede deployment). Assemble and tighten the mount (requires a wrench and needle nose pliers) and you're done.

You can also make the hole with a 3/4" Greenlee punch (actual, not conduit) but it requires drilling a pilot hole.

Did two on my 2004 Trailblazer, one (currently) one my 1999 XJ, 1 one my 2013 Sierra (as soon as I got it home), one on a 2009 GMC 1 ton extended cab, one on a 2011 GMC Sierra, and one on a 2013 F150.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
While not the same vehicle, I did an install on a 2009 Ford Escape with a sun roof.
Easiest way to do it was to loosen the rear part of the head liner and drop it down enough to visualize what's up there. It was pretty easy to measure out the sun roof travel. Being able to look up under the roof made it easy to ID where any cross braces were.
Once I had that, I just used some masking tape to plot out the location on the roof.

I drilled down from the top with the headliner still down a bit. Running the coax wasn't an issue behind the rear seat as there wasn't any air bags back there. Once down the "C" pillar (behind the rear door) it should be pretty easy to follow a path up to the dashboard.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I would recommend a Greenlee chassis punch. Makes very clean holes with no hot metal:

Greenlee No 730 3 4 inch Round Radio Chassis Punch Excellent | eBay

Just be sure you have the right size punch for the antenna mount.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The chassis punch is a good option, however you still need to drill the pilot hole which will result in some hot metal raining down upon the soft bits.
As for "right sized punch", this is a very good point. There is 3/4" (.750) and there is "trade size 3/4" which is for 3/4" conduit fittings, and gives a hole size about 7/8". Very important to pay attention to the difference.

Hole saw or punch, either one will work if it makes a round 3/4" hole.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The chassis punch is a good option, however you still need to drill the pilot hole which will result in some hot metal raining down upon the soft bits.

As for "right sized punch", this is a very good point. There is 3/4" (.750) and there is "trade size 3/4" which is for 3/4" conduit fittings, and gives a hole size about 7/8". Very important to pay attention to the difference.

Hole saw or punch, either one will work if it makes a round 3/4" hole.

Have to have full access (enough to screw in the bottom of the punch) to use the punch as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.