• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2016 Ford Expedition Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Friends;

I traded in my Honda Pilot (See http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...up/334899-temporary-update-n9jig-vehicle.html) after I got a few dozen hailstone dents while returning from a trip across the country.

Luckily there was no broken glass on my car but there were a dozen of so vehicles in the same hotel lot as mine that did. Imagine watching out the window of your hotel room 4 floors up watching baseball sized hailstones pounding on your year-old truck and not being able to do a darned thing about it except cry...

I had my eye on a larger truck anyway and had considered (and almost bought) an Expedition last year when I got the Pilot. This pushed me over the edge and I worked out a great deal.

So I got me a 2016 Ford Expedition Limited (2016 Ford Expedition | View Full Gallery of Photos | Ford.com) with the full Nav system. The center console also contains the gear shift so this kind of limits the mounting possibilities. I was thinking of removing the console itself and replacing it with a police style installation but I think that may not pass approval from the wife. I am not sure if these would fit my model anyway.

My current thoughts are to install 2 or 3 RH-96's with 996XT's as well as my Alinco DR-638. I would probably construct or purchase some sort of box to put in the rear cargo area. Since the spare tire and jack access is there I would have to allow it to be lifted to access this stuff. Alternately I could leave enough slack to allow it to be slide forward onto the top of the lowered right side seat.

I was also thinking of the same type box set on the floor between the 2nd and 3rd row seats on the passenger side. They are 60/40 rear seats and while this would preclude lowering the "40" seat I think I could live with that. Of course I would have to paint it to match the interior brownish beige color of the seats and carpet.

Antennas are going to be challenging. I have an installer friend who will install the NMO's but he thinks the moon roof might become an issue and limit me to 2 antennas. I would prefer 4 but could live with 3. 2 would mean only 1 scanner or using a multicoupler. Again, I could live with that but would prefer to have separate antennas for each scanner. It would however look a lot better with only 2 antennas so the wife is pushing for just 2.

As for power I am thinking of having the installer run 3 wires from under the hood to the rear cargo area, Ground, Battery and ignition relay Switched and terminating them with PowerPoles. I would then put a PowerPole block in the radio box. The RH-96's would be powered from a power lead run to the forward fusebox on a ignition switched port.

As for mounting the heads I think I can get 2 RH-96's between the gear shift and dash. There is a little rubber mat on a tray there, and I can remove that, mount a small block of wood in there and mount the RH-96's on the block.

For the Alinco I am thinking of cutting a wood piece to fit into the little cubby to the right of the Nav screen below the AC vent and mounting the head on that. With a little bit of a camber to it the block should fit right into the hole with a little compression to keep it steady.

If I think I can get away with it I might put a third RH-96 or a CDM1250 control head vertically alongside the right side of the console or perhaps use a cupholder mount. I think I can get along with just 2 scanners and the dual-bander but one never has enough radios.

As always any suggestions are welcomed. I have not made any hard and fast decisions yet and am still exploring options. I have plenty of time before I have to commit to something.

I wonder if anyone has replaced the console on an Expedition with a console gear shift using a Havis or Jotto style system.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Troy has a console that will supposedly work with the floor shifter:

Expedition - Products

Even though the web site says 2006-2010, I emailed Troy and they said it will work on a 2015 (which is what I have), so I assume it would work on a 2016.

Havis also has a console that's somewhat smaller and basically replaces the storage compartment:

Havis Products | C-VS-1200-EXPD-1 2007-2016 Ford Expedition Vehicle Specific 12" Console

I installed two trunk lip angle brackets on either side of the hood. That way, I can run dual-band ham antennas in each mount and still get the vehicle into a residential garage. I ran the antenna cables through an existing grommet on the right side of the firewall that comes through above the glove box.

My install is still a work in progress which I should probably get back into since my Expy is a year old and has 20k miles.

scottyhetzel

Hi Rich,

I would use a charge guard or ram mounts power saver..I use to run my remote heads on the ignition, but if I was parked I would have to leave the ignition on to see the display . Stop and go errands with radio on off on off on off was a delay of viewing. Always had to look for the key. Now I got my ram set for two hour timer. Plus I wanted the 996xt and RH to shut off at night. Basically run the scanners and RH to the fuse block which gets power from the ram unit. Your set up calls for scanner hot all the time and RH on ignition...scanners running all night.

~I personally like the bluesea fuse blocks, the best hands down....we run them in the patrol cars.

~ use extra grounds to the hood and body metal.

~What kind of antennas are you going to mount?

~I always wanted to powder coat one of those consoles in a custom color like tan or graphite...

Scott

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have always connected my scanners and dualbanders to an ignition switched power source and plan to do so here. We used ChargeGuards in our squads at work and I might use one in this new car as well, but I don't know if it is needed for just the two scanners and the Alinco. The radios in the back would be connected to the ignition switched lead. The RH-96's will likely be connected to a point on the forward fuse block unless I find it easier to run a power lead forward from the radios.

I plan on leaving a battery lead in the rear in case I decide to put in one or 2 of my CDM's down the line. I use the ignition sense for these. I used to use a Garmin GPS but since it has died I use the Uniden puck which works fine switched with the ignition.

I will ask my installer about the Troy, it looks good but I want to make sure I can retain the USB ports that are in the console.

I would love to have the Troy or Havis mount painted to match and I am sure the wife would like that too...

D

darunimal

...I traded in my Honda Pilot after I got a few dozen hailstone dents while returning from a trip across the country. ...

I guess you didn't see the episode of MythBusters where they showed dimples do help velocity and reduce drag.:)

AK9R

Super Moderator
Rich, my Expedition collected a few hail dents within my first month of ownership. Wrong place at the wrong time while storm spotting. I keep telling myself that I need to contact one of those paintless dent repair people to see if they can pop out a few of the dents.

Painted to match? I take it that your interior is not black. I drove from Indianapolis to Evansville to look at an Expedition that had the beige interior and really didn't care for what I saw. I really didn't want a black interior, but it was the lesser of two evils. Of course, central Indiana doesn't have the heat that central Arizona has.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The dealer I traded my Pilot into said their body shop would be able to pop out most of the dents in short order except for the ones on the creases. Of the 40 or so (I lost count after that...) I think 4 or 5 are going to be tricky. It isn't my problem anymore but I would like to see it after it comes out of the body shop. I might take a ride by the dealer tonight...

The interior is what they call "Dune Leather", kind of a brown/tan thing that is pretty much the same as I had on the Pilot. It was pretty resilient to the heat this summer and last in the Pilot and so far in the Expedition.

Many years ago (early 80's) we had a company come into our dispatch center and powder coat the metal console cabinets, file cabinets and other metal work to a nice shade of blue. It was a lot of work to mask the consoles, empty the file drawers and set up a temporary dispatch station for the work but it made a huge difference and several years later when I moved on they still looked good. The thought of doing something like this intrigues me and I will keep it in the back of my head if I go the route of a Troy console.

scottyhetzel

I think black is industrial looking...shows dust and crumbs... Colored powder coating looks great. Not sure why retrofit companies don't offer this in other colors.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, I met with the radio shop the other day. They will set up 3 NMO mounts on the rear of the vehicle, one forward and centered and 2 at the rear corners. The transmitting radio (Alinco DR-638) will get that centered antenna and the 2 BCD996XT's will get the rear corner antennas.

He will run a switched power lead to the rear of the vehicle for the radios but may end up using a charge guard if they have issues with turning off power. The Honda Pilot had a good switched power source but with the push-button start of the new car they will see what happens.

I think I will end up putting one RH-96 and the DR-638 head on the center console forward of the gear shift. When in Drive they will be easily visible, but when stopped I might have to peak around the gear shifter. As for the other RH-96 I am still figuring it out. I might go with a Port-A-Clip or a block in that little cubby right of the Nav.

I might look into the console system down the line, especially if I can get it powder-coated to match.

I did find something interesting last night... I had a scanner that had the "hook" part of velco on the top that I had used in the past to hold a GPS reciever. I placed it on top of the rear cargo area cover that hides the tire jack and had to use a putty knife to separate it. If I had just the one radio that would be ideal but with 3 radios, a power strip and the GPS it isn't viable as a mounting option.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Rich, on late-model Fords, the ECU actively manages the electrical system by monitoring the current in the negative leads going back to the battery. If the current is too high, the ECU will start shutting down the power to unnecessary accessories. I believe that the whole purpose of this electrical management is to make sure that the alternator and battery have sufficient capacity to power the necessary loads which include the electric power steering. The point I'm getting at is that the negative side of the power feed to your radios needs to be landed on the chassis so that current drawn by the radios will be seen by the current sensors.

On my 2013 F-150, I installed an auxiliary battery which was charged through the trailer brake charging relay. I set things up so that my radios drew from the battery and not from the vehicle's electrical system. I installed the aux battery in a cross-bed tool box. If I ever get serious about the radio installation in my 2015 Expedition, I plan to install an AGM battery somewhere near the spare tire to power the radios. I may charge that battery using the trailer brake charging circuit or find another way to isolate the aux battery from the vehicle.

Yes, the shifter will block your view of any radios installed ahead of the shifter. I have the control head for my Kenwood TM-D710 mounted in the storage bin that's in my console ahead of the shifter. It's viewable when the shifter is in Drive, but not so much when the shifter is in Park.

I'm tempted to leave the spare tire at home and use the space under the cargo area cover to put my radio RF decks. Knock on wood, it's been a long time since I've had a flat tire. A can of fix-a-flat takes up a lot less space than a truck spare tire.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I checked into putting the radios in the little cargo area where the tire jack is located and putting the tool kit elsewhere. It was a little tight there with the stud sticking up. If that stud comes out somehow I could put the 3 radios in there and allow them to be covered and secure. I will have to try that.

I had a flat for the first time in 15 years last month when I was in Chicago so I will keep the spare and the tools in the car...

N9JIG

Sheriff
So Friday I had my appointment with the installer. On the way out I got a rock into the windshield and it spidered pretty quick. I have the dash-cam video of the event and the aftermath that included much swearing and cussing. (All you country boys will know that cussing is much more intense than regular swearing...) I hadn't even made my first payment yet and already had a busted up windshield. BTW, they came out to the house yesterday and replaced it.

The installer put in the three NMO's as planned, one about mid-roof for the Alinco and 2 in the rear corners for the scanner. I put a PL259 on the center mount and BNC's on the rear's.

For DC power he installed a relay under the hood after finding a good ignition sense point in the fusebox. He ran a power lead to the rear and used a covered barrier strip to terminate it. The ground was run to the frame nearby.

This weekend or next (when I have the time) I will work on the radio installation. I still haven't decided how to mount the radios in the rear. I have a plastic tool box that is just the right size to hold the radios but I am worried about heat buildup. Even though I have fully tinted windows I am not leaning towards this.

I might end up getting a piece of 2x12 plank and mount the radios to that. There will be 3 radios (2 996XT's and the Alinco DR-638) as well as the GPS so I could stack the radios on the plank. This should be sturdy enough.

I will then run the 3 control head cables, 3 speaker leads and the power lead for the RH-96's forward in the wire channel or via a split loom.

Of course all this might have to wait until I get the air conditioner for the garage, the swamp cooler doesn't help when it is 110 here...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Can't wait to the photo's, Rich. Keep us posted, and thanks!
. I would have liked to Hear Rich's "on board audio" when he caught the rock in the windshield. :D. 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.