• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dual head revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyhetzel

I have a 996xt and a RH remote head mounted in my truck.... I have a spare 15x. I always wanted a dedicated low band scanner for Califorinia Highway Patrol. They use 42.440 basically.

What I want to do is add both scanners to the same remote head. Have a double throw double pole toggle that shares both radios... I really don't need to see the chp radio display...but once in awhile would be nice. What do you think pro or con?

Comp-100

I have a 996xt and a RH remote head mounted in my truck.... I have a spare 15x. I always wanted a dedicated low band scanner for Califorinia Highway Patrol. They use 42.440 basically.

What I want to do is add both scanners to the same remote head. Have a double throw double pole toggle that shares both radios... I really don't need to see the chp radio display...but once in awhile would be nice. What do you think pro or con?
Sounds like a good idea in principle, I don't know what connector they are using or if throwing the switch would send some CPU into a tizzy due to spikes. I presume you've tested that operation of the one radio without a head is fine. If you connect and disconnect the head a few times while the radio is in operation does it continue to work without issue? Are you planning on switching all conductors, is the remote connection to the head only 2 wires? If the answer is yes to both questions, then I'd give it a try.

I never would have guessed anyone still using 39-42Mhz range for public-service, let alone California. Is this a side-effect of the state budget issues, or does the potentially longer range of the lower frequency in the local terrain really have benefits for them?

scottyhetzel

California has deserts, mountains and hills. Chp tested other bands and found the low band works best for them. The M.D.T. And extenders are on the 800-900 MHz band however. Plus some stations like Indio have hundreds of miles of response area. With high freq. you need lots of repeaters. Which are expensive to own and maintain.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I never would have guessed anyone still using 39-42Mhz range for public-service, let alone California. Is this a side-effect of the state budget issues, or does the potentially longer range of the lower frequency in the local terrain really have benefits for them?

Scotty's right on this. In some urban areas CHP has been installing 700MHz trunked systems. Most of the traffic, though, is good old VHF Low band. Work very well for what they need to do.
What many people don't realize is how large and varied the state is. A lot of mountains that would be impossible to cover, vast areas of desert. Coastal mountains with meandering roads. Hard to cover all that with anything else.

If your idea doesn't work, you could probably easily remote the power/volume control into a small box under the dash. An extension speaker somewhere out of the way, and you'd have a basic system that could cover one frequency without messing with anything else.

I agree with the above, often the CPU's don't like things getting switched around like that, but it's worth a try.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have plugged RH-96's in and out of various radios over the years while they were turned on and there has never been an issue, it takes a second for them to recognize each other.

I see no reason why this wouldn't work with a DPDT switch, the ground is already common so you would only need to switch the data lines.

Remember
however that the volume on the non-connected radio will revert to that of the radio's volume control, so you may have to accommodate that. If you are using a remote speaker with a volume control then leave the radio's local volume control at an appropriate level.

scottyhetzel

I have plugged RH-96's in and out of various radios over the years while they were turned on and there has never been an issue, it takes a second for them to recognize each other.

I see no reason why this wouldn't work with a DPDT switch, the ground is already common so you would only need to switch the data lines.

Remember
however that the volume on the non-connected radio will revert to that of the radio's volume control, so you may have to accommodate that. If you are using a remote speaker with a volume control then leave the radio's local volume control at an appropriate level.

Thanks Rich,

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Scotty's right on this. In some urban areas CHP has been installing 700MHz trunked systems. Most of the traffic, though, is good old VHF Low band. Work very well for what they need to do.

What many people don't realize is how large and varied the state is. A lot of mountains that would be impossible to cover, vast areas of desert. Coastal mountains with meandering roads. Hard to cover all that with anything else.

If your idea doesn't work, you could probably easily remote the power/volume control into a small box under the dash. An extension speaker somewhere out of the way, and you'd have a basic system that could cover one frequency without messing with anything else.

I agree with the above, often the CPU's don't like things getting switched around like that, but it's worth a try.

TxDOT has only officially been off of low band for 3 years now. You still see it around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.