RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 5:52 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

best speaker for scanner i found is get some used motorola radio speakers and just cut the plug off and solder to 1/8 mono plug. Now i understand some the portable scanners are stereo.
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2017, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3obl View Post
best speaker for scanner i found is get some used motorola radio speakers and just cut the plug off and solder to 1/8 mono plug. Now i understand some the portable scanners are stereo.
Volume may still be low and hard to hear at highway speeds or with the windows down. There are several variants of DC powered amplified Motorola speakers that work well when reconfigured for scanner use.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Holy crap!

the OP asks a question about using car speakers for his scanners and he gets grilled about the choice of his car. For crying out loud frazpo, either answer the person's question or GTFO.
Old 03-23-2017, 3:13 PM

quote from twjr80 ---> "the OP asks a question about using car speakers for his scanners and he gets grilled about the choice of his car. For crying out loud frazpo, either answer the person's question or GTFO." <---end.

It's not a big deal. The things in question were clarified.

Thanks again for the suggestions on speakers. I'm looking in to a few options now.
Old 03-23-2017, 3:22 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i have a 1994 Ford Crownvic i have 2 XTL5000's Radios and use the front door speakers work great in my car
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2017, 8:56 PM

Default Ya think?

deleted duplicate post
Old 03-28-2017, 2:34 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default speakers

A friend of mine once had his radio hooked to the Suburban speakers. Sounded horrible.

Best bet is Motorola speakers. If not those, then the Yaesu MLS speakers are great. Then there is the MFJ281 speaker.
Old 03-28-2017, 3:34 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by twjr80 View Post
the OP asks a question about using car speakers for his scanners and he gets grilled about the choice of his car. For crying out loud frazpo, either answer the person's question or GTFO.
Please refrain from playing moderator. If you think a post or a thread violates the forum rules, use the Report Post feature to alert a moderator.

All of you, please make sure your comments are answering the OP's questions. If your post questions the OP's intentions or goes off on tangents about whackers, this is not the thread for you.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 03-29-2017, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twjr80 View Post
The subject was stereotypes. Your comment here was just as off topic as mine. As you were.
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2017, 8:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu81fitter View Post
I thought this forum was for radio equipment installation.... I didn't know I had to explain my car buying preferences and driving habits. But, I guess its not a big deal. Now you know. If anyone has any tips on connecting the speakers, please chime in. Thanks again.
Some people have nothing better to do than sway the thread into a bashing session.

Is this the document you have??
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2017, 2:45 PM

The only problem with using factory radio speakers, in the doors or rear deck, is they are wide range music speakers, AKA Hi Fi. Not what we would want for two way radio audio.

If you look at the speaker cone in a Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, or other two way radio speaker, they are harder so the frequency response is in and restricted the 300 to 3000 Hz voice range.

So, it comes down to personal choice.

The father of Police Radio on the west coast, Herschel Calvert, gave me a Motorola T Power speaker back in the late '60s, and that is still the best sounding speaker for two way.

LAPD in the 70's changed out the speaker in the rear deck to the same speaker used in the Motrac.

Tags
impala, police, speakers, wiring