RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 6:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 2017 Forester HomePatrol 2 installation

Just replaced my 2011 Subaru Forester with a 2017 Forester. In my 2011 Forester I mounted my HP 2 in the open storage area forward of the shift. There was an opening in the back of the storage area and I routed power and antenna cables behind the dash through the opening in the back of the storage area to my HP2. It looked and worked great!
My 2017 Forester has the same storage area forward of the shift, BUT NO OPENING IN THE BACK TO ROUTE THE POWER AND ANTENNA CABLES!
So, it looks like I'm going to have to drill an access hole somewhere in the rear or side of the storage area in order to run my cables.
SO, I thought I'd check and see if any of you have done this and could advise me if there is any room behind or to the sides of this storage area before I'm on my knees jamming my hands blindly into the back of the dash. Thank you.
Right now I'm using one of my BCD325P2's in a drink holder......it's just not the same. 😕
Old 06-19-2017, 6:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman105 View Post
BUT NO OPENING IN THE BACK TO ROUTE THE POWER AND ANTENNA CABLES!

So, it looks like I'm going to have to drill an access hole somewhere in the rear or side of the storage area in order to run my cables.

SO, I thought I'd check and see if any of you have done this and could advise me if there is any room behind or to the sides of this storage area before I'm on my knees jamming my hands blindly into the back of the dash.

Do you have any pictures of the storage area? I myself have a Subaru. I have been inside a 2017 forester when I was looking for my car. (I have a Impreza now) I can't recall what the storage area looks like.
Old 06-19-2017, 8:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I installed a 2 meter ham radio in the storage hole forward of the shifter in my 2015 Subaru Forester. I think this storage area is the same in my car as your car. I did not want to drill a hole for the cable and wires so I routed power and antenna cable along the side and around the front left edge of the storage area. It's not the most elegant solution but it works and I did not have to drill a hole in my (then) brand new car.

Bruce
N0JX
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2017, 9:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMN View Post
I think this storage area is the same in my car as your car. I did not want to drill a hole for the cable and wires so I routed power and antenna cable along the side and around the front left edge of the storage area. It's not the most elegant solution but it works and I did not have to drill a hole in my (then) brand new car.

Bruce

N0JX

Looks the same in my car, just that in my car the storage area is a little smaller because of the touchscreen display. Anyway if you don't like how that looks I was going to suggest to route the wires to the passenger side and let either the wires go to the front of the car towards the engine compartment if you have the wires going to the front of the car, or hide the wires under the passenger seat if you have the wires going towards the back of the car.