RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Lazy L Jotto Desk Console

I have the "Lazy L" console in my 2005 CVPI, and im wondering about grounding.

The console has 2 holes on the bottom near the front edge that I can use, i was thinking about a 6 or 8 gauge wire from one of the holes to the metal under the dashboard as ground, then using the 2nd hole to put a bolt in, and use it as a grounding post for everything in the console.

Anybody agree/disagree with this? Better ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2017, 3:41 PM

One exception, run the ground to one of the driver seat bolts. And you may have to clean the bolt, nut, ect to get a solid ground. I also use external tooth lockwashers that bite into the metal for a solid connection.
Old 09-08-2017, 4:35 PM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can usually locate a factory ground lug near the base of each pillar, behind the trim. That is where we typically run our ground buss.
Old 09-09-2017, 8:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I might be missing something here, but let me chime in. As I recall, Jotto desks have holes that align with the seat mounts. One unblolts the seats, lines up the console, relocates the seats, then reinstall the bolts.

Wouldn't that provide a sufficient enough chassis ground - certainly as well grounded as the dash.
Old 09-10-2017, 8:45 AM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post
I might be missing something here, but let me chime in. As I recall, Jotto desks have holes that align with the seat mounts. One unblolts the seats, lines up the console, relocates the seats, then reinstall the bolts.

Wouldn't that provide a sufficient enough chassis ground - certainly as well grounded as the dash.
You would think so, but not necessarily. We've had vehicles come in from other installers that just used what they thought would be a good ground, i.e., seat bolts, seat-belt bolts, etc. only to find equipment acting strangely. Dim panel lights on equipment, siren not working correctly, etc. Things would work correctly one minute, but fail the next. Paint, grease or other contaminates can cause a ground to fail.

It is always a good idea to run a dedicated ground from a factory ground lug. They put these lugs throughout the vehicles for factory options. They are usually located at the base of every pillar, and can be found in other areas as well. Don't rely on things that seem like they should work. They can introduce unwanted/sporadic results.
Old 09-11-2017, 8:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
You would think so, but not necessarily. We've had vehicles come in from other installers that just used what they thought would be a good ground, i.e., seat bolts, seat-belt bolts, etc. only to find equipment acting strangely. Dim panel lights on equipment, siren not working correctly, etc. Things would work correctly one minute, but fail the next. Paint, grease or other contaminates can cause a ground to fail.

It is always a good idea to run a dedicated ground from a factory ground lug. They put these lugs throughout the vehicles for factory options. They are usually located at the base of every pillar, and can be found in other areas as well. Don't rely on things that seem like they should work. They can introduce unwanted/sporadic results.
Yup, thats why i was wondering about a ground lead. The ground thru the mount worked ok tor a while, but its gotten finicky lately esp with the electronic air horn. Will be running dedicated ground later today.

Thanks!