RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 11:04 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Cables, Connectors, and PVC (or not?

How many run's do you have from the "shack" to the attic, Rich? What grade of cable are your using, and what type of connector's are being deployed in the installation?

I presume you aren't using any PVC / conduit, that the cable's run from the wall in the shack to the attic?
DuPage County, IL USA
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There will be about 15-20 antennas in the attic, most of which are connected to something. I will have a couple spare runs as well and one of the "F" Connectors will be for the cable modem.

I currently have the antenna cables strapped to the studs, a huge mistake. It makes it hard if not impossible to pull back some or to remove altogether. When we take down the wall I am going to let the cables stay loose in the wall. This way I can remove/replace a bad coax as needed and if/when we move I can just pull them back if I want to recover them, remove the panel and fit in a piece of drywall to patch the hole.

The 5 F connectors will have RG6QS and 4 of them will be connected to ST-2's, the last will be a spare.

There are 6 BNC connectors and these will be connected to RG58 or RG8x and used on various scanner antennas like CenterFire's or ST3's.

There will be 2 or 3 N connectors, using RG174 to be used for the ADSB antenna and a couple discones.

The remainder will be SO239's with RG58 (25') or RG8X (50') for the remainder of the antennas including the GMRS and ham stuff and a couple more ST3's.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 01-12-2018, 3:50 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Panel Arrived!

My panel was delivered yesterday. I have it populated with the jacks that I already had. I will be getting a couple more N-connectors to replace a couple of the SO239's and getting a couple cable assemblies with N-connectors.

The kids will be here in a few weeks and we will pull the wall down between the studs, unstrap the current coaxes and remove several of them and put in the new ones, drawing back the retained ones to the panel, leaving enough tail to pull the panel off the wall for maintenance.

The panel was ordered as 3mm thick, I think that while nice and sturdy I could have gone with 2 or 2.5mm instead. As it is I think that I will be just fine. The panel is 24x8 inches overall and since the studs where this is going are 20 inches apart (due to cabinetry on the other side of this wet wall) I made sure that the connectors will clear. The connectors have 16.5 inches from end to end leaving a little under 2 inches on either side. I probably could have squeezed in another column but that would have been cutting it too close and is unneeded.

I did not order it with pre-drilled mounting holes to secure it as I was unsure whether I would be able to mount it directly to the studs or if we would have to use a built out box of some sort. The wall has 2x6 studs so I think I will have enough room to allow for reasonable cable bends but just in case I will make that determination when we get the wall open.

There is a hamfest in town tomorrow so I will look for the panel N connectors and see if I can find some pre-made 25 or 30 foot cables with N-connectors otherwise it is going to have to be ordered.
Attached Images

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG View Post
I am working on the next phase of my shack, and that is the creation and installation of a wall panel for the antennas.

I am thinking of using panel mounts like these: https://www.amazon.com/DHT-Electroni...Q7N4M3JNHNJV63

Some will be for N, others for F, BNC but the majority will be for SO239/PL259.I like these since they would present a uniform size and spacing.

Is there already a panel that will accommodate multiple connectors like this? In total I need 24 connectors but I could use multiple panels (4 6's, 2 12's etc.) if needed.

I would prefer copper but other decent conducting metal would work. I plan on connecting it to a copper water pipe ground as the panel is being mounted on the dry side of a wet wall as the washer, drier and slop sink are on the opposite side of the same wall.

If I can find such a panel I would put in the connectors, mask them and then paint the panel to match the wall. I would then use patch cords to the radios.
Since I’m a certified electrician I got to ask... make sure that copper pipe is bonded with the main ground. New house have bonding from the main ufer ground to main panel, gas, hot and cold water pipes. In fact some copper pipes that are hot water are not bonded...so you would have a false ground...especially I’d
F you have proper terminated to copper....another example Od an open. Not sure how old/new your home is... the easy way to tell if it’s bonded is to use continuity from the copper pipe you chose to the main ground. As you know a good bond is safe and will help prevent ingress of unwanted frequencies... a dedicated 20 dedicated circuit with a Hubble Hospitol grade outlets is preferred... or a NEMA twist lock outlet is great benefit. Also choose a legrand whole surge unit mounted at the incoming power to the house...also know as the main, than an secondary surge in your shack... most middle Atlantic racks have 1/4 20 bond studs for grounding...just my .02 cents,..since you are a great contributor to the forums.. look forward to your progress...I’m here to help you...

Side note...you will need a red light on your 100 foot mast since you for danger close to the tarmac. Lol

Keep up the good work and look forward to you pictures....

Last edited by scottyhetzel; 01-12-2018 at 11:23 PM..