RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 5:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Automatic speaker switch

Has anybody use something like this? It looks like it might make things easier to setup in a small car.

Ai-AB Switcher Switches Between Two Audio Devices
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2018, 5:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I once made my own switch like their manual one. It worked pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

That’s what hoping. I have a small car and not a lot of room for speakers so I was planning on installing two of the automatic switches, one connected to a scanner and ham radio and another connected to a scanner and CB radio with the transmitting radios as primary.
Old 03-13-2018, 2:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDS3 View Post
Thatís what hoping. I have a small car and not a lot of room for speakers so I was planning on installing two of the automatic switches, one connected to a scanner and ham radio and another connected to a scanner and CB radio with the transmitting radios as primary.

When I installed my radio, I placed a Kenwood external speaker underneath the driverís seat. The audio is clear and itís out of sight. You can easily place two speakers underneath it depending on the vehicle.

Andrew | N2AL
Nurture your mind with great thought. To believe in the heroic makes heroes. - Benjamin Disraeli
Old 03-13-2018, 2:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AL View Post
When I installed my radio, I placed a Kenwood external speaker underneath the driverís seat. The audio is clear and itís out of sight. You can easily place two speakers underneath it depending on the vehicle.
Great idea but be sure to check for wiring and back seat heater vents. Some vehicles have stuff under there and some don't.
Old 03-18-2018, 3:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2AL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
Great idea but be sure to check for wiring and back seat heater vents. Some vehicles have stuff under there and some don't.
Unfortunately with my car, there isnít much room. Itís a very small car. I can barely fit one scanner under the seat. I also do have under seat vents and the airbag/seatbelt sensor wires under there. Everything is going to be placed in the trunk, with just the control heads and speaker in the cab.
Old 03-18-2018, 9:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post

I have installed my radio in a Honda Civic, and now a Nissan Frontier. I have the vents as well but the radio stays forward of the vents as not to receive direct heat or air from the vents.

As for the airbag and heated seats, I have never had any issues for the six or seven years a of this setup. I ensured proper grounding and SWR is 1:1.

The only issue Iíve had is trying to find a place for my microphone, haha. I donít like drilling into the dash.

Andrew | N2AL
Nurture your mind with great thought. To believe in the heroic makes heroes. - Benjamin Disraeli