RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default LTE and DMR hotspot in car

Has anyone here ever installed an LTE modem and/or DMR hotspot in a car? Iím looking to do both and I have some questions.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2018, 8:51 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not a perm install but use mine in my car from time to time using my hotspot. Works fine.
Old 10-28-2018, 5:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I want to permanently install in my car both an LTE modem and raspberry pi based hotspot and was wondering if it would be worth in to install external antennas on my roof/trunk. I was thinking a low profile UHF and 2 low profile cell antennas.
Old 10-29-2018, 4:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDS3 View Post
I want to permanently install in my car both an LTE modem and raspberry pi based hotspot and was wondering if it would be worth in to install external antennas on my roof/trunk. I was thinking a low profile UHF and 2 low profile cell antennas.
Only if you are going to need the extra distance the better antennas will allow.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2018, 7:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As krokus said only if you need the distance. I run an external Cell antenna for my LTE modem as I live in cell black hole. My open spot works fine for my HT with the stock antenna even outside the truck.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2018, 11:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Since the equipment will be mounted in the trunk, I think some antennas for the modem are in order. Coverage in my area is pretty good but I do go through some dark spots. For the DMR hotspot, I keep bouncing back and forth. I’ll probably go with the stock antenna to cut down on holes I put in my car. I’m already up to 5.
Old 11-01-2018, 1:34 AM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you toss a VZW Jetpack (or equivalent), a hotspot (or a new SharkRF Openspot2) and a solar cell phone battery pack (a variety available at Best Buy) with 2 USB sockets into a transparent icebox container, just put the containter on a seat of the vehicle. I found a solar cell battery version that also had LED lights on the other side, plus a jack for the usual 5v charger, with an on/off switch at Best Buy for ~$40. Two short cable and maybe, if needed, a power cord when there isn't enough sunlight should finish the clean project..
Old 11-03-2018, 6:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I’m going to do something like that for a mobile kit with a Netgear MR1100 mobile router and Raspberry Pi based hotspot. The only cables I would need are a network cable and a USB cable connecting them since the MR1100 also doubles as a battery pack.

For the car, it’s already crowded inside the car plus I’m mounting all my radio gear in the trunk anyway. I plan on going with a Netgear LB1120 LTE modem and a Raspberry Pi based hotspot. It’s also going to double as router for mobile data in my car.
Old 11-06-2018, 2:03 AM

Default face it man...its already over.. embrace it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDS3 View Post
Since the equipment will be mounted in the trunk, I think some antennas for the modem are in order. Coverage in my area is pretty good but I do go through some dark spots. For the DMR hotspot, I keep bouncing back and forth. I’ll probably go with the stock antenna to cut down on holes I put in my car. I’m already up to 5.
you and "low profile" haven't been near each other for sometime now, with that Sieve you call a car you're driving, at this point you need to just go ahead and face reality:

--you Will-Not be picking up ANY chicks in that car, --

and presumably you haven't had a snowballs chance since the second perforation happened, so just go ahead and go for performance. no one likes a porcupine with short hair or long, so might as well grow it out and let your freak flag fly.

speaking of flags, from the sound of it you could have a scale model of the courtyard at the UN building with all the flagpoles you got going.

Quote:
it’s already crowded inside the car
ya know, i could have written all of this stuff myself.

Last edited by spacellamaman; 11-06-2018 at 2:06 AM.. Reason: its too late to think
Old 11-11-2018, 9:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

In the event it's of any interest, I bought this little plastic box at walmart for less than 3 bucks. I keep my Rugged Spot in it.

Drilled a few holes in it for venting. The holes (not visible in the pic) were strategically placed to lessen the likelihood of harming the contents from a drink spill.

I keep ac/dc adapters inside the box, so I can quickly power it in my vehicle or in a hotel room, home, etc. When not using it, I just wrap the power cord around the box and hold it on with a rubber band. Completely portable, and protects the Rugged Spot. You can simply lay it in the seat, back seat, floorboard, wherever. Plug it in, it will see your hotspot and you're up and running. I wouldn't want to hard mount it because it would reduce my options on using it.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Tags
dmr, hotspot, installation, lte