Pro 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbama97

I received a new Pro 164 for my birthday last night and was wondering if anyone had any tips, tricks, or hints they could share. I already have a BC-80XLT so the Pro 164 is a little bit different. Any information would be greatly appreciated. (My wife got a great deal on it.)

Thanks in advance.

mrbama97

mikey60

I received a new Pro 164 for my birthday last night and was wondering if anyone had any tips, tricks, or hints they could share. I already have a BC-80XLT so the Pro 164 is a little bit different. Any information would be greatly appreciated. (My wife got a great deal on it.)

Thanks in advance.

mrbama97

The first suggestion would be to purchase the programming cable, and then one of the available software packages that are out there to help you program your scanner. While you can program it by hand, and it's good to know how to do that, the software packages can make it easier to program your scanner.

The two software packages that are out there now for the Pro-164 are WIN97 available at http://www.starrsoft.com, and my PSREdit300 available at http://www.psredit.com.

There are others rumored to be in development, but I haven't seen anything that points to a release at this point.

Mike

mrbama97

Thanks. I have already installed several conventional frequencies by hand. It was tedious but not too hard. I haven't tried programming trunking yet (not much need until I go to Mobile Co. and Baldwin Co.). I can tell a considerable difference already from the older BC80xlt. So far I am impressed.

mrbama97

lugoffman

Thanks. I have already installed several conventional frequencies by hand. It was tedious but not too hard. I haven't tried programming trunking yet (not much need until I go to Mobile Co. and Baldwin Co.). I can tell a considerable difference already from the older BC80xlt. So far I am impressed.

mrbama97

I hope when you are done typing all your info in the scanner you still got fingers to hold the scanner Lol !!!!!
man i got a 164 and i tell you you cant beat the software its a dream come true compared to typing it all in

SCPD

QRT

mrbama97
Hi Bama, where in Alabama are you< come on over to the Alabama forum:)
HI from Montgomery

N8IAA

Thanks in advance.

mrbama97

Way bit different:)) The manual will have you tearing hair out of your head and blood shooting out of your eyes. The Win97 software is the way to go. You will need the RS 20-047 programming cable. I've had mine since Saturday and love it. It is complimenting an older BC895. I like the 1K memories and the alphatags. I got it and the cable with the 30% off coupon. They added a lot to this scanner to make it a great upgrade from the 2055.
Larry

N8IAA

Unfortunately, you will not be able to monitor the Washington County LTR system. It is multinet, and there are no scanners made to track those kind of systems. You can put in all the frequencies as FM,except the control channel, and listen that way. The rest are conventional and easy to program.
Larry

mrbama97

Thanks for all the info. I really need to check out those programs. There are a lot of frequencies that are still conventional that are not in the database.

N8IAA

Thanks for all the info. I really need to check out those programs. There are a lot of frequencies that are still conventional that are not in the database.

What you need to do then, is go to the county and click on the submit tab. You can then submit the frequencies to the data base. Depending on how busy they are, the data base admins will update the frequencies. Then you get the joy of knowing you gave back to this wonderful site:))
The Win97 is free for thirty days, then you need to owe up. Nice thing about the software, you can make up all kinds of files to upload to the scanner. Not counting the fact that with 1,000 channels, you can fill up the radio with tons of stuff to monitor.
Larry

p1scotty

low volume help

I have a pro 164 with Sullivan county TN trunking (freq) programed into #0.It seems to have a lower volume than the other (freq) that i have programed in the scanner.I just would like to know if anyone has this problem or how to fix it??

Status
Not open for further replies.