Status
Not open for further replies.

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
Just got early e-mail advertisement.

$169.99

Prices effective Friday, Aug 29th - Monday, Sep 1st

lugoffman

Thats not a bad deal considering thats what I paied for mine about two month's ago then they went to $219 after I got mine but I think the radio is a awesome radio does a real good job plus it is said they support rebanding

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
New Guy here. I saw the same advertisement for $169.99 and am ready to pull the trigger and get one of these. I see they have both the Pro-163 and Pro-164 for the same price. Can someone explain the difference? Currently, I have an old Radio Shack Pro-60 that I've used for years. I primarily use it for air shows, car races, and monitoring the City of Chicago. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

jerk

New Guy here. I saw the same advertisement for $169.99 and am ready to pull the trigger and get one of these. I see they have both the Pro-163 and Pro-164 for the same price. Can someone explain the difference? Currently, I have an old Radio Shack Pro-60 that I've used for years. I primarily use it for air shows, car races, and monitoring the City of Chicago. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

One is a portable, one is for mobile/home uses.
If you want to carry a scanner around, Pro-164
Slightly bigger buttons screen, always on back light. Pro-163

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the information. One last question - I also see Radio Shack has the Pro-162 for $219 on the RShack website. How does that compare w/the Pro-164? When I compared them side by side on Radio Shack's website, it does not list the Frequency coverage for the Pro-164? Would you recommend the 162 or 164 for military air, auto racing, Chicago Fire/Police? Thanks again.

jerk

Thank you for the information. One last question - I also see Radio Shack has the Pro-162 for $219 on the RShack website. How does that compare w/the Pro-164? When I compared them side by side on Radio Shack's website, it does not list the Frequency coverage for the Pro-164? Would you recommend the 162 or 164 for military air, auto racing, Chicago Fire/Police? Thanks again.

I can't tell you that...
Don't own a Pro-162, but it is Uniden made. And I think it would be good also.
I would compare size, features, and ---> sale price, and would choose the Pro-164
Don Star's software programs it and the Pro-97/2055 & GRE 300/400 series of scanners.
So that is a plus.

Check the manual on-line for frequencies, or the GRE 300 is virtually the same radios with some slight changes.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
I just got one of the pro-163 models today and so far I really like it. has much better sensitivity than the 2055 model I had. I think this will be a keeper!

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
newsalan - just picked up the Pro-164 this morning and I am loving it. So many more features than my old (but still reliable) Pro-60. Unfortunately, I had to pay the Cook county sales tax at 10.25%, Ouch! Thanks for all the help and I'll check out the software programs you mentioned.

jerk

newsalan - just picked up the Pro-164 this morning and I am loving it. So many more features than my old (but still reliable) Pro-60. Unfortunately, I had to pay the Cook county sales tax at 10.25%, Ouch! Thanks for all the help and I'll check out the software programs you mentioned.

Ouch! !Sales tax
yeah, it's a great scanner, was listening today while watching/handing out water for a bike ride. Picked up some new frequencies and PL tones.

Don't forget the custom search range option, I use to find UHF 225-380 MHz military flights.
And http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/97/97.html
This site has easier to understand manual. Also search there are one or two quick guides for programming out there as well.

Don Star Win97 is what I use. And by becoming a premium subscriber here, you can download frequencies, then program into the scanner.
PSRedit is also supposed to be a good program.

Enjoy

firefighter89

I was just on the RadioShack website and they no longer have the Pro-97 or the Pro-2055 on their website. Have these models been discontinued?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Going,going,gone...........

I was just on the RadioShack website and they no longer have the Pro-97 or the Pro-2055 on their website. Have these models been discontinued?

Any time you dont see a radio on their web site any longer it means it's gone bye bye..... You may try the local stores for their left over stock. Dont wait too long after it disappears, they go pretty fast after markdown.

Manny

k9jdk

I bought a 162 a few months ago. It was on sale for $169. I see its now $219, up from $199.

I can't comment on the 164 as I do not own one, but I've been very satisfied with the 162. I do know that the 162 is made by Uniden and the 164 by GRE.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
On the RS site, I've seen a couple of complaints of the display on the Pro-164 going blank. Sounds very reminiscent of the Pro-97/2055/2096 problem. I haven't seen anyone here mention having that show up in their Pro-164/163 yet though.

mrbama97

I received a Pro-164 for my birthday in June and have loved every minute of using it. I have not had any problems so far. If you get one, I recommend that you get the software to program it. Cuts down on time and errors.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
On the RS site, I've seen a couple of complaints of the display on the Pro-164 going blank. Sounds very reminiscent of the Pro-97/2055/2096 problem. I haven't seen anyone here mention having that show up in their Pro-164/163 yet though.
Oh No! not again, please don't talk like that lol!

lugoffman

I got 2 pro 164 and they both work well have not had any problems with it so far it is one of my best radio's I got yet besides my psr 500 , that is if I can figure all of it out lol !!!
Anyways it has two siginal stocker fetures and they both work real well and the thing I love the most is it gets you the pl tones you need for frequency's real good radio i rate it about a four and a half on a five star rating

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I Got a new toy!!!

Yay! I got a new Pro-164 yesterday! I got most of it to work and its beautiful. It even picks up analog freqs and control channels that my BCD396T can't! But I have a bone to pick with Radioshack. The manual sucks big time! They don't explain anything. A lot of things I have had to find out by accident because I'm somewhat technology and scanner oriented (makes me feel for those who really are not, it must be frustrating!). I will be posting further questions for each issue I have. Otherwise its a beauty.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
If you look at the reviewer comments for scanners on the RS site you can tell many are not scanner savy, and that it's their first experience with a scanner. They have no idea what they're getting into and rely on the staff at RS to guide them. While I'm sure some RS stores may have someone that is well versed in scanners, I have to believe that most do not (as my experience seems to confirm). Therefore, I can understand the frustration I see in the comments from the dissatisfied customers. The majority of people want technology that works right out out of the box, and when it doesn't, many don't have the patience to learn something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.