Pro-197 Radio ID & Alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

I was able to turn on the function for viewing radio-ID's and for setting radio-ID alerts. I have perused the GRE boards and manuals, along with the (somewhat inadequte) RS manual, but not really sure on setting up the alerts. From what I have read so far, it would appear that radio-id's are set up as TGRP objects, but that the alerts will only function correctly for private calls and not group calls. If someone can point me in the right direction here, it would be greatly appreciated.

mikey60

I was able to turn on the function for viewing radio-ID's and for setting radio-ID alerts. I have perused the GRE boards and manuals, along with the (somewhat inadequte) RS manual, but not really sure on setting up the alerts. From what I have read so far, it would appear that radio-id's are set up as TGRP objects, but that the alerts will only function correctly for private calls and not group calls. If someone can point me in the right direction here, it would be greatly appreciated.

You would set up the radio id as a private talkgroup and set the alerts to what you want for that. You would then see that alert if that radio was seen in a private call. You can have the radio do this alert on a regular talkgroup as well by turning on that option in the advanced GLOB menu as follows:

Press PGM
Press FUNC
Press F3 (GLOB)
Scroll down to the 4th option from the bottom (RadioIDAlert) and set that to Yes.
Press F1 (Save)
Press SCAN

You should now see/hear the alerts any time that radio ID is seen on a talkgroup, or private call.

Mike

MStep

Thanks for your help Mike. I think I am good up to that point. Where I seem to be faultering is in programming in the radio ID that I want to be alerted to. Do I program the radio ID the same way as a talkgroup ID. For example, on a given TSYS, I want to program a new radio ID for alerts. Is it programmed the same way as one would program a talkgroup ID, except in the talkgroup ID field one would place the radio ID number rather than the talkgroup number? Unfortuately, here in the NYC area, it has been difficult to test because there are thousands of radio ID's coming up and it has been hard to catch the same one more than once or twice a day on a system, if that much. Thanks again Mike and all.

mikey60

Thanks for your help Mike. I think I am good up to that point. Where I seem to be faultering is in programming in the radio ID that I want to be alerted to. Do I program the radio ID the same way as a talkgroup ID. For example, on a given TSYS, I want to program a new radio ID for alerts. Is it programmed the same way as one would program a talkgroup ID, except in the talkgroup ID field one would place the radio ID number rather than the talkgroup number? Unfortuately, here in the NYC area, it has been difficult to test because there are thousands of radio ID's coming up and it has been hard to catch the same one more than once or twice a day on a system, if that much. Thanks again Mike and all.

Yes, it's entered pretty much the same way that a talkgroup is entered, the only difference is that you have to change the type field that appears in the radio just below the ID from Group to Private.

Mike

MStep

"Yes, it's entered pretty much the same way that a talkgroup is entered, the only difference is that you have to change the type field that appears in the radio just below the ID from Group to Private."

OK Mike-- I'm getting it-- i think :) This is some incredible piece of radio !!! Now what happens if I do not change the ID type from Group to Private? Will it recognize and alert to the radio-ID's in this mode also, are does it only work in Private mode?

mikey60

"Yes, it's entered pretty much the same way that a talkgroup is entered, the only difference is that you have to change the type field that appears in the radio just below the ID from Group to Private."

OK Mike-- I'm getting it-- i think :) This is some incredible piece of radio !!! Now what happens if I do not change the ID type from Group to Private? Will it recognize and alert to the radio-ID's in this mode also, are does it only work in Private mode?

That would depend on the ID entered. If you enter a radio ID that would also be a valid talkgroup id, you would see that object displayed if that talkgroup becomes active. If you set it to private, you would only see the information when that radio ID is seen on any talkgroup, or in a private call.

Mike

MStep

OK Mike-- I will have to do more experimentation--- that is the way that I have the radio set up but no joy so far on getting the alerts to work for radio-id's. I will spend some time with this later on and see if I can troubleshoot. I imagine that I have something not set right-- will report back in a day or two.--- thanks for your patience and your help.

mikey60

OK Mike-- I will have to do more experimentation--- that is the way that I have the radio set up but no joy so far on getting the alerts to work for radio-id's. I will spend some time with this later on and see if I can troubleshoot. I imagine that I have something not set right-- will report back in a day or two.--- thanks for your patience and your help.

Do you have the ShowRadioID option turned on in the scanner? That may be part of the issue if it's not working right.

Mike

MStep

Yes I do--- both the Show Radio ID option and the Radio ID Alert are both set to "YES". I will play with this tonight and see if I can wangle the radio into give up more of its secrets :) Testing is so hard here in NYC because hundreds (or thousands) of different ID's pop up during the day and there is not one good consistent wildcard group or private radio ID to experiment with. Thanks again for your help. By the way, if others who are reading this thread have had success in getting the radio ID alerts working, please don't be shy-- jump right in with suggestions and thoughts. :)

DonS

On very busy systems, and if you have lots of talkgroup IDs programmed (or even a "wildcard" TGRP object), the "RadioID Alert" function becomes less useful.

The reason for this is that, in most cases, the RadioID only shows up in the initial "call grant" messages and not the subsequent "update" messages. If the scanner is off doing something else when the initial grant is sent, it will never see the RadioID associated with the "group call". If/when it trunks out to the voice call, it's doing so based on an "update" message - which doesn't contain the RadioID. Hence, no RadioID alert.

On systems that aren't very busy, or if you only have a few TGRP objects programmed, you're much more likely to get the RadioID-specific alerts.

If you don't see a RadioID (or your programmed alpha tag for that RadioID) on line 4 when a "group" call is received, then the scanner didn't get a RadioID.

MStep

Thanks for the info Don. Just trying to confirm that the radio-ID goes into the TGRP field in lieu of the talkgroup ID and whether it will work in both GROUP mode and PRIVATE mode, depending on how that object is programmed. I am seeing radio ID's on line 4--- just that here in NYC nothing consistent to test with.

DonS

Thanks for the info Don. Just trying to confirm that the radio-ID goes into the TGRP field in lieu of the talkgroup ID and whether it will work in both GROUP mode and PRIVATE mode, depending on how that object is programmed. I am seeing radio ID's on line 4--- just that here in NYC nothing consistent to test with.

You'd program RadioIDs into "Private" TGRP objects. "Group" objects are only for talkgroup IDs.

Without consistent RadioIDs (e.g. fire apparatus, dispatch consoles, etc.), it's difficult - not to mention nearly pointless - to get alerts on specific IDs. For example, where I live, each PD officer will have at least 2 RadioIDs when he goes on duty: the radio in the vehicle and his handheld. The vehicle will change nearly every shift, but the handheld is assigned as "part of the uniform". I've entered dispatch consoles, fire apparatus, and a few officers' handheld RadioIDs into my PSR-500. I don't mess with PD vehicles, since their Radio <-> Unit mapping is never constant.

MStep

OK Don-- very good--- since you program them as "Private" TGRP objects, you will only be alerted when they transmit in private mode-- is that correct? If they transmit in "Group" mode, you will not be alerted. I hope I am reading this right.

DonS

OK Don-- very good--- since you program them as "Private" TGRP objects, you will only be alerted when they transmit in private mode-- is that correct? If they transmit in "Group" mode, you will not be alerted. I hope I am reading this right.

If you program a "Private" TGRP object with a specific RadioID, you'll get that object's "Alert" when:
1. that RadioID is involved in a private (Radio -> Radio) call
2. that RadioID initiates a group (talkgroup ID -based) call, IF AND ONLY IF you have the "RadioIDAlert" option set to "Yes" AND the scanner is able to detect that RadioID from the control channel messages.

For example, my local system rarely (if ever) uses private calls. I do have some RadioIDs programmed into "Private" TGRP objects, though. I have the "RadioIDAlert" option set to "Yes". My local system is not very busy. For about 45% of the "group" calls, I do get the RadioID alerts - these are "talkgroup ID" calls initiated by the dispatch consoles, fire apparatus, etc. that I have programmed as "Private" TGRP objects.

Here's how "group calls" work in the scanner:
1. Monitoring CC
2. Get "call grant" or "call update" message
3. TGID in message matches not-locked-out programmed TGID? If no, back to #1
4. If the message does NOT contain a radio ID (e.g. an "update" message), just show the "group" TGRP info
5. Do we have a "private" TGRP object for this RadioID? If no, just show the numeric RadioID on line 4.
6. "RadioIDAlert" enabled? If no, just show the "private" TGRP object's alpha tag
7. Any alert settings (LED, Audio) for this "private" TGRP? If no, use any alert settings for the TGID's TGRP object
8. Show/sound any alert settings for the "private" TGRP object.

If my scanner sees a "call grant" message on the "Police Dispatch" talkgroup, and the call was initiated by one of the dispatch consoles, I get an alert specific to that console, since I have them programmed as "private" TGRP objects. If, however, some random officer calls from his vehicle radio on the Police Dispatch talkgroup, I'll just see the vehicle's RadioID on line 4 - since I don't have the vehicles programmed as private TGRP objects.

MStep

Thank you Don-- that is very helpful and most informative and I appreciate your help and input. I have printed out your message and will definately get down to experimenting some more tonight and tomorrow morning to get this up and running. That is by far one of the best explanations of how radio-ID alert works. If you have seen the Radio Shack manual that comes with the Pro-197, it leaves MUCH to be desired. I thank you and Mike and the rest of the group for the input.

MStep

Great instructions Don. Had "radio-ID alert" up and running very quickly after your post. Thanks again.

I know this is an old thread but it goes along with exactally what I am looking for, kind of...I need to know how to enable the radio to show the Radio ID?

whitesox4life

I have Radio IDs activated in the programming but am not getting anything showing up on line 4. I have tried both monitoring a single talkgroup as well as during scanning. I have full signal strength on the built in signal meter. Where am I going wrong? I am trying to catch the IDs for certain fire apparatus so I can set alerts on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.