Pro-197 Closed/Open mode equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWCOScanner

Feed Provider
Hi all,

With the help of Win500, I finally have the Pro-197 running. Now, I'm starting to have a few questions about this new programming method...

How do I duplicate the "open" or "closed" scanning modes that the 2096 has? If I make a TSYS that just has one Wildcard TGRP, then none of the TG names show, just the numbers. If I scan the fully programmed TSYS, then it only shows the programmed TG's, right? How do I scan a TSYS with programmed TG names, but still allow it to stop for unknown TG's, like running the 2096 in open mode? Do I add a wildcard TGRP to the programmed list?

Thanks!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I use a PSR-500.

You can either set up a Group Wildcard (and optional Private Wildcard if your system supports that and you want to hear private calls) or you can set it up with a mixture of specific TGIDs and the Group/Private Wildcard.

As long as you have the Group Wildcard programmed in, have it associated with that scanlist, and it is not locked out it will be in "open" mode, regardless of whether or not you also have specific TGRP objects for each known TGID.

I do the same thing. I have one TSYS object, I have 60 TGRP objects for the known talkgroups on that system and those TGRP objects are associated with my TSYS object and are put into scanlist 1. I then added a Group Wildcard and a Private Wildcard that are both in scanlist 1 and associated with that TSYS object. So when a transmission occurs on a known talkgroup, it displays that talkgroups alpha tag. When a transmission occurs on an unknown talkgroup, it triggers the Group Wildcard and the TGID shows up with an option to store it.

To give you a short answer, yes you just add a Group Wildcard and associate it with that scanlist and TSYS.

Mike

SWCOScanner

Feed Provider
OK, that's a big help, thank you!

Next question - when trying to save space in the scanner, avoid having to repeat programming, and so on, is there a way to associate TGID objects with more than 1 TSYS? For example, I scan the Colorado DTRS, and I have a list of the TG's I want to hear in this area, and the TSYS has the local sites in it. I want to program another TSYS, with sites that aren't in my immediate area, but that I would want to scan if I'm out an about. That way I keep the local scanning list as short and quick as possible, but I am able to have more coverage by just turning on another scan list. Do I have to duplicate the entire TGID list for the new TSYS, or is there some sneaky way to use the existing TGID's with more than one TSYS?

I'll catch on to this new programming method, but it's definitely taking some getting used to, after programming conventional scanner for 20 years...

mikey60

OK, that's a big help, thank you!

Next question - when trying to save space in the scanner, avoid having to repeat programming, and so on, is there a way to associate TGID objects with more than 1 TSYS? For example, I scan the Colorado DTRS, and I have a list of the TG's I want to hear in this area, and the TSYS has the local sites in it. I want to program another TSYS, with sites that aren't in my immediate area, but that I would want to scan if I'm out an about. That way I keep the local scanning list as short and quick as possible, but I am able to have more coverage by just turning on another scan list. Do I have to duplicate the entire TGID list for the new TSYS, or is there some sneaky way to use the existing TGID's with more than one TSYS?

I'll catch on to this new programming method, but it's definitely taking some getting used to, after programming conventional scanner for 20 years...

Unfortunately no, you would have to duplicate them to the new TSYS. The number of talkgroup objects really doesn't make the radio that much slower though. The method being used by the scanner to access the talkgroup objects is very fast, and dependant on the data being transmitted on the control channel(s) being monitored.

If you're using the multi-site options on the TSYS, you can put the other sites in the same TSYS object for when you're out. I have the entire district 2 tower site list on the MPSCS in Michigan in my normal scan list, and even on STAT mode with the check all control channels option turned on, it scans through the TSYS pretty quickly.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.