PRO-106 & Motorola ASTRO 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

testman

Thanks DELCOLHFC. Just got the PRO-106 and the manual never specifically stated that it would. My town Mt. Pleasant, SC just switched to digital and now trying to figure out how to configure the 106.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5042. I can lock on to the control channel 858.93750 and it provides the correct WACN BEE00, but I haven't figured out how to program in the talkgroups? Any advice?

I had been able to use a Pro-95 up until the switch so I am familiar with manually programming that unit.

SWCOScanner

Feed Provider
Unfortunately, programming the 106/197 is nothing like programming anything before them...

While the manual will get you there, it'll probably be a LOT easier, less confusing, and faster to do it the better way - Let me be the first to suggest getting a PC programming cable and trying one of the programs for programming it by PC - there's discussions and links available here on RR for the various programs. Using software to program mine made it so I had it running literally within minutes of opening it, as opposed to trying to figure out the manual and then figure out how to program using only the scanner keypad...

If you're going to try to program it manually anyway, from what I understand, it shouldn't be too bad. Now that you have the TSYS (system) programmed, you will have to create a TGRP (talkgroup) object linked to that TSYS for each talkgroup you want to listen to on that TSYS. Creating the TGRP objects should be very similar to creating the TSYS, so it shouldn't be too bad if you've already made the TSYS. I didn't program mine this way, so I'm only parroting what I've read in the manual and what I've heard, but I hope it helps out!

Brian

Mike_G_D

Basic programming steps for starters...

I wrote up a very detailed step by step procedure for initial manual programming of these scanners that has helped some in the past.

These are just to get you started and confirm normal operation; the trunking programming procedures use the Wild Card feature so all traffic on the system will come through. You can get more specific as you become more familiar with the unit - these steps are just to get you started.

BASIC PSR500/PSR600/PRO106/PRO197 CONVENTIONAL SYSTEM PROGRAMMING steps:

1) Press the F1 key located just below the on-screen "NEW" display. You should see three choices: TGRP CONV and SRCH from left to right.

2) Press the F2 key under CONV.

Now you should see a display that shouws "CONV Channel" on the top line and three choices again on the bottom line: Save, Exit, and Dflt. The cursor should be blinking on the second line concerning Scan Lists. We will leave the default scan list alone and move down to where it says "Freq: 25.000000".

Look at the big oval key on the keypad that has SEL in the middle and the four directional arrows around that.

3) Press the down arrow once - the one on the bottom of the big oval key. You should hear a beep and see the cursor blinking on the colon of "Freq:".

4) Type in the first frequency from your list that you made from the old 95XLT - make sure you type in the decimal key where appropriate.

5) Press the ENT key on the bottom second from the right. That's the Enter key. You should hear a low-high beep confirming that you have entered the frequency correctly and should now see your frequency listed after the "Freq:" display.

6) Press the F1 key located under "Save" on the screen. You should hear another low-high beep indicating you have sucessfully saved the first frequency.

Now you will see the same screen as before with the TGRP, CONV, and SRCH choices on the bottom. Now you just follow steps 2) through 6) as above for each frequency that you wrote down on the paper from the 95XLT. Just do three or four for now.

When finished, press the SCAN button. And wait. OK, we have at least confirmed that the unit is working and can receive standard conventional frequencies. And you now know how to program in basic conventional frequencies.

While scanning you will see a 1 followed by several dots. Don't worry - those dots are other scan lists that we are not using for now. All of the frequencies that you just entered are in the first scan list, 1, by default. You can think of the scan lists as a little like banks but they are far more than that. But for now, you can think of them as such.

Now once you have made sure that the scanner can receive the conventional frequencies we can move on to the trunking system programming.

BASIC MANUAL ENTRY PSR500/600/PRO106/PRO197 STANDARD TABLE 700MHz/800MHz/900MHz MOTOROLA AND EDACS TRUNK SYSTEM PROGRAMMING STEPS USING THE WILD CARD FEATURE (TO HEAR EVERYTHING AND CONFIRM BASIC OPERATION):

1) While the scanner is on press the PGM (Program) key.

You should see a blinking "PGM" in the upper left hand of the display and the choices NEW, EDIT, and GLOB along the bottom.

2) Press the F1 key under "NEW".

You should now see the three choices: TGRP, CONV, and SRCH.

3) Press the F1 key under "TGRP".

You should see "Talkgroup" on the top line and the three choices Save, Exit, and Dflt on the bottom. The cursor should be blinking on the colon for Scan Listss: just as it did for the conventional stuff earlier.

Again, for now we'll leave that alone and move on to the trunk programming.

4) Press the down arrow once on the big oval key. Make sure the cursor is now on the "TSYS:" colon.

5) Press the middle of the big oval key - the "SEL" button.

You should now see "Trunked System" along the top and the same three choices of Save, Exit, and Dflt on the bottom. The cursor should be blinking on the "Type:" colon and the default system type of MOT 800/900. If your system is that type then you don't need to change it. Otherwise, use the right and left arrow keys to scroll to select the desired system type.

NOTE: For some systems that use non-standard tables such as most VHF and UHF trunking systems you may need to modify the trunking frequency tables for the Motorola systems. This is beyond the scope of this guide; if you need to program such a system, I recommend that you try programming a local standard Motorola or EDACS 700/800/900MHz system to start with and get the basic ideas down first then move on and research how to setup such non-standard VHF and UHF systems.

6) We'll skip over giving the system a name for now (you can review alpha tagging later or wait to do it in the software - a lot easier). So press the down arrow until you get the cursor blinking on the "Frequencies:" colon.

7) Press the "SEL" button (middle of the big oval Key).

You should now see "System Freqs" at the top of the display and the choices Save, Exit, and Del along the bottom. The cursor should be blinking on the colon for "Ch01:". That's where we will put the primary control channel frequency of the system you are interested in.

8) Type in the primary control frequency of your system using the decimal point just as is done with the conventional stuff and press the ENT (Enter) key.

You should hear the low-high beep confirming correct entry.

9) Press the down arrow key to put the cursor on the colon for "Ch02".

10) Press the SEL button.

11) Type in the secondary control channel frequency and press the ENT (Enter) key. You should hear the low-high beep confirming correct entry. Repeat this for as many control channel frequencies as your system has.

12) Press the F1 key under "Save".

You'll once again hear the low-high confirmation tone and then see another Save choice on the bottom.

13) Press the F1 key under "Save" again.

Another low-high tone.

14) Now press the F1 key under "Save" yet again.

15) Now press SCAN.

For now, we are just confirming reception and proper tracking of the system so we are going to receive EVERYTHING on that system that is affiliated with this site. We are just using the default Group Wildcard. So you are going to hear a lot of stuff you don't care about. But this at least gets us started. Now we know the scanner is working and decoding your trunking system. Now you need to move on and enter specific talk groups as desired.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

If for no other reason, but software to save the wear and tear on your keypad.... Programming in thousands of frequencies and other settings can't be a good thing for the paint on the keys or the lifespan of the keyap as a whole, just my two cents.

If you only need to put in maybe one trs and a a few handfuls of conv frequencies, then maybe it makes sense to just key it in though. In my case I have a dozen trs, and a thousand conv frequencies so keying that in is just nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.