Radio Shack Amplified Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

I went and bought one of these the other day after reading reviews on here and other places. I was expecting to see a great boost in audio from my 396T Uniden scanner. Boy was I surprised, not only do I get more audio from my OLD Un-amplified speaker, but I got a slight bit of alternator whine when I used the Amplified speaker and slightly less audio. That was a surprise, less audio and alternator whine. I could have built a filter to get rid of the whine, but to actually have less audio? I don't know what the gain is on that speaker but it was a disappointment to say the least.
Anyway it is going back and I am getting money back.

Anybody else have bad results? just curious.

SCPD

QRT
That's odd, I have one that's been kick, run over and abused also, And it works just fine. I have used it on my 97, 108, 898, 780 and other radio's and it makes a significant difference. Granted, its not a Motorola Amplified speaker, but works good. No suggestions for you other than try a different product by a different manufacturer.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
I have four of them. Been in use for years and I can >hear< my radios. There must be something wrong with the unit you bought?

HOLEBILLY

just got one and it is great. I really dont think you can beat them for the price.

reedo

Premium Subscriber
@KD0NDO.... Here is the amplified speaker model and part number at radioshack.com

RadioShack® Amplified Communication Speaker
Model:21-130 | Catalog #: 21-130 $38.99

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I've had one for years also,using it still. Modded it with a spst toggle to switch audio to second speaker in another room. Works great! :)

n9zas

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I went and bought one of these the other day after reading reviews on here and other places. I was expecting to see a great boost in audio from my 396T Uniden scanner. Boy was I surprised, not only do I get more audio from my OLD Un-amplified speaker, but I got a slight bit of alternator whine when I used the Amplified speaker and slightly less audio. That was a surprise, less audio and alternator whine. I could have built a filter to get rid of the whine, but to actually have less audio? I don't know what the gain is on that speaker but it was a disappointment to say the least.
Anyway it is going back and I am getting money back.

Anybody else have bad results? just curious.

Might have got a bad one, did you take it back and get another one, Stores should have a 12 v outlet at the GPS display where you can test it in the store. There could be a problem with the cable from the radio to the speaker, did you try a different one? When power is applied to the speaker or the radio talks, did the red light on the front of the speaker, next to the K on Radio Shack come on? If not, check your power.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
IIRC, the speaker has a mono plug. You need to use a mono-to-stereo plug adapter when plugging it into a stereo headphone jack (otherwise you will be shorting out 1/2 of the scanners audio amplifier and the audio level will be 10-15 dB lower than when using a stereo plug).

Status
Not open for further replies.