Best handheld police scanner for under $150?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummagick

After missing some really interesting action in town while at work this morning, I've decided it's time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at this one on the RS site.

Uniden BC95XLTB

Thanks!

Carrie

nanZor

Before deciding what is best, look in the database here to see if a scanner with that budget is even *capable* of receiving those systems in your area.

If they are encrypted, no scanner will work.

If they are trunked, you'll need a scanner that will do trunking. Otherwise, a conventional lower-cost scanner will do.

If they are running P25, that will also guide your decision as they are usually quite a bit more expensive than your $150 budget, unless you can get one used.

If the systems for your area show that they are not encrypted, and not using P25, if you were willing to spend $20 more, either the Radio Shack Pro-163 desktop/mobile or Pro-164 handheld would fill the bill of monitoring conventional and trunking systems. This is just an example, there are many others.

It also depends on just what type of Police activity you want to monitor - local municipalities might be running a very simple conventional system, whereas county-wide systems could be using trunking / P25 etc - it all depends.

With a $150 budget, it is very important to determine just what is used in your area so you don't waste money on a scanner that can't even pick up what you want, or perhaps spend too much on features you don't need.

Last edited by a moderator:

hfxChris

Database Admin
Tell us where you're located (not sure what "North Central" means...) and we should be able to figure out what you'll need for a scanner

drummagick

I am in Wenatchee, WA, and they don't have trunking here. At least, that's what the Radio Shack employee told me the last time I was in.

I could probably budget up to $200 too.

Thank you for your help! :)

N8IAA

I am in Wenatchee, WA, and they don't have trunking here. At least, that's what the Radio Shack employee told me the last time I was in.I could probably budget up to $200 too.Thank you for your help! :)

Looked at your county. All VHF and UHF. The 95 is a good scanner for what you want to monitor. The best question is: do you listen more mobile, or, at the house. The RS 164 is a handheld unit that would fit your needs mobile and at home listening. If you are looking for a base/mobile, the RS 163 is a good scanner also. Both are on sale for $170. All three scanners are easily programmed by hand. The 95 doesn't have alphatags like the 163/164. That may not be a feature you need or want. Another scanner, if you don't want to spend a lot is the Pro-135, or the 137. Which are on sale also. They will do quite nice for your monitoring needs.
HTH,
Larry

drummagick

I have a Pro-433 at home, I never did put the mounting bracket in a vehicle, mainly because I switch around between 3 vehicles and I'm not in a car long enough to make dragging that unit around worthwhile.

Larry, I'll have a look at the other scanners you mentioned too.

Thank you! You guys here are very helpful!

Carrie

scannersnstuff

well i know this is not the uniden forum,and i have no personal interest in selling you on it, but. the uniden bc346xt is a sweet analog scanner that can be had for about $214.00. the coverage is pretty decent.it does not have milair however.the sensitivity is great.

Astrak

Looked at your county. All VHF and UHF. The 95 is a good scanner for what you want to monitor. The best question is: do you listen more mobile, or, at the house. The RS 164 is a handheld unit that would fit your needs mobile and at home listening. If you are looking for a base/mobile, the RS 163 is a good scanner also. Both are on sale for $170. All three scanners are easily programmed by hand. The 95 doesn't have alphatags like the 163/164. That may not be a feature you need or want. Another scanner, if you don't want to spend a lot is the Pro-135, or the 137. Which are on sale also. They will do quite nice for your monitoring needs.
HTH,
Larry
Are you talking about the Undien 95 or the RS PRO-95? The PRO-95 has alpha tags, I'm confused since this is the RS forum.

N8IAA

The OP is talking about the BC95, which RS sells on its website. That is why I presume he asked here in the RS forum.
Larry

drummagick

This OP mentioned the Uniden because it looked good on the RS site, but she is looking for feedback on the RS Pro- scanners too. ;-)

I think it's a decision between the Uniden 95 and the Pro 164. I read all the reviews on both at RS, and will be looking throught the threads on this forum too.

Thank you all for your help!

Carrie

rvictor

If you can afford to do it, get a scanner with alpha tags. It's much nicer being able to see what you're hearing without having to look at a list of frequencies to find out.

The Uniden BC346XT is great if it's not over budget. Others are good as well, but I'd emphasize the alpha tags in any event.

Dick

nanZor

I can definitely vouch for the usefulness of alpha tags!

In my mind, as far as RS gear goes, spending $20 more than the $150 budget for either a Pro-163 mobile/desktop or the Pro-164 on-sale with alpha-tags is certainly worth it - even if one doesn't need or intend to do trunking.

drummagick

I've been reading the threads on the Pro 164 and the Uniden BC95 all morning and came across mention of the GRE PSR-300.

What do you all think of that one?

Our area does not have trunking now, but that doesn't mean they won't switch to it in the future, thinking maybe I'd just better get a trunking scanner.

Thanks!

nanZor

Even if you don't do trunking now, and even if it never comes to your area, when doing conventional scanning the PL and DCS features would come in very handy. I think you'd be very pleased with either the Pro-164 or the PSR-300. Jump in the waters and find out! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

drummagick

I don't think I've ever sat for 4 hours straight and read threads and reviews like I have today. I think my eyes are going to explode.

I found the GRE PSR 300 for the same price as the Pro 164 on sale. For some reason it irritates me greatly that you have to buy an AC adapter for the RS scanner when everyone else includes them in the price.

I think I need to take a break. lol

scannersnstuff

I don't think I've ever sat for 4 hours straight and read threads and reviews like I have today. I think my eyes are going to explode.

I found the GRE PSR 300 for the same price as the Pro 164 on sale. For some reason it irritates me greatly that you have to buy an AC adapter for the RS scanner when everyone else includes them in the price.

or you could buy the uniden bc346xt and get.
3 aa rech.batteries.
antenna.
wrist strap.
ac charger/adpt.
manual.
sma to bnc adpt.

for just a few $bucks$ more,it's a sweet radio !. i'll butt out now.

N8IAA

Yeah yeah. I was looking at that one yesterday too.

Too many to choose from!
GRE300 has milair, which is active in your area(346XT doesn't). Programs from Win97. Bank/Channel for those that are getting back into scanning, or, new to scanning. Upgrade after awhile to the Uniden DMA memory method, or, the GRE Object oriented method. Make it easy on yourself and become more comfortable with the hobby.
Larry

drummagick

Someone mentioned milair earlier. I didn't know what that was so I googled it yesterday and that does sound interesting.

Now that I've looked through the forum I see that I should have posted this thread under General Scanners, but too late now. ;-)

When I was reading about the Uniden 346XT yesterday, I came across this ---

Repeater Find

The BC346XT has the Uniden “Repeater Find” feature. When the radio detects activity on frequencies it recognizes as repeater inputs in the UHF and 800/900 MHz. bands it will check for activity on the corresponding repeater output channel. If traffic is heard there then the radio will monitor the output channel instead, assuming that the traffic is being heard thru a repeater.

This allows you to hear traffic from responding units that may be out of range of your radio but being rebroadcast on the repeater. Since UHF and 800/900 MHz. have dedicated input/output frequencies this feature applies there, VHF repeaters do not have dedicated inputs so this feature does not work on VHF. --------

I know we have a lot of repeaters in our area, because I hear on a lot of calls that whoever is on this, that or the other repeater. I don't know if the repeaters are VHF though.

I'm really showing my total ignorance now.

Status
Not open for further replies.