RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 2:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks, upgraded mine, it only took two or three minutes total.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Default Pro-197

georgew0819,
Only today seen your respose. Thanks. Didn't mean to get off topic. New at this too. Thanks to several people I was able to reduce my clipping problem, at least as good as it's gonna be. Gonna just grab the manual and hope I can work out some other questions I have. I'm just not grasping how this forum works. Thanks again.
jao9900
Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM

Default Off topic comment

Glad to hear the clipping problem was solved. As far as the remark about going off topic, it was only meant as freindly advice before one of the moderators admonished us for highjacking the thread. And again, welcome to the site and remember you can always ask questions and get lots of help from the people on this site. And don't worry about posting questions in the forums, if it ends up in the wrong area, one of the moderators will always move it to the proper area.
Various Scanners, SW Receivers and Ham Radios.
Old 09-18-2009, 2:15 PM

Default RF forums

Thanks, I'll try it again. I know this is a pro web site and understand there's do's and don'ts, but did I miss something about where to ask certain things. Do I select that first from the RR forums page? Does RR always notify my by e-mail if there is a response? There could be questions in different forums and how would I know when and where to check for response?
jao9900
Old 09-23-2009, 6:06 PM

Default Work for Pro164?

I still have the version 1.02 on my scanner. Does this download that is mentioned in the very first post work for the pro164 as well? Plus when I tried to download the firmware upgrade from the RS website, I need winzip and I dont have that. I cant believe a brand new computer, less than 2 months old doesnt COME with winzip or some kind of zip software already on it.
Sponsored links

Old 09-23-2009, 7:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenxsixplus9 View Post
Does this download that is mentioned in the very first post work for the pro164 as well?
No. .
Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 AM

Georgew0819
On topic. The cpu update was the only update I found. Thanks to a thread. I went back and reread guideline and reposted the other topic.
Old 10-12-2009, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenxsixplus9 View Post
I still have the version 1.02 on my scanner. Does this download that is mentioned in the very first post work for the pro164 as well? Plus when I tried to download the firmware upgrade from the RS website, I need winzip and I dont have that. I cant believe a brand new computer, less than 2 months old doesnt COME with winzip or some kind of zip software already on it.
Might get in trouble with the mods on this but ...

If you have vista just download the file to your desktop.

Then right click on a open space on the desktop and click on new and then folder create a new folder.

right click on that file you downloaded and drag it over to the new folder let go and click on extract , then go with whatever the box suggests this time. Likely extract so & so to folder in new folder. your file will extract in there.
Old 04-09-2010, 3:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default PRO-106 App Ver: NONE

Have a Pro-106 that will not upgrade and appears not to have a Application Software. Any ideas? When I try both DSP and CPU upgrades, the upgrade software states, "The scanner currently contains no CPU application code"

Any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2010, 3:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzle75 View Post
Have a Pro-106 that will not upgrade and appears not to have a Application Software. Any ideas? When I try both DSP and CPU upgrades, the upgrade software states, "The scanner currently contains no CPU application code"

Any ideas?
Are you selecting the correct COM port for your USB cable?

Are the drivers for the USB cable installed?

If using the RS cable, do not use the short 3" adapter cable, it will not work with these radios.

Are you using the Updates downloaded from the RS web site and not the GRE updates?

Mike
Old 04-10-2010, 2:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey60 View Post
Are you selecting the correct COM port for your USB cable? YES

Are the drivers for the USB cable installed? YES

If using the RS cable, do not use the short 3" adapter cable, it will not work with these radios. No additional cable

Are you using the Updates downloaded from the RS web site and not the GRE updates? Yes, the RS site and NOT the GRE.

Mike
See quote above
Old 04-10-2010, 4:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok, then the next question would be, are you using the correct key combination for each update type?

For CPU, turn the Scanner Off, Press and hold the PGM button, and then turn the power on. This will place the radio in CPU update mode. That should allow you to upload the CPU software to the scanner. Make sure you allow it to finish the upload, or you'll get the No Firmware message you are seeing.

For DSP updates (you should do CPU first), Connect the scanner to the CPU cable, and then start the update program. Run the version test, if successful, Turn the scanner off, and while the welcome message is displayed, press 0-PGM-ENT to put the scanner in DSP update mode and update using the updater program.

Mike
Old 04-11-2010, 8:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzle75 View Post

Any ideas?
Nozzle, Did Mike's suggestions help with your upgrade(s)? Although the RS instructions are explicit, Mike suggests four good reasons for your results. It would be interesting to know how you solved your problem.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Upgrades went flawlessly. Thank You!!
Old 04-11-2010, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jao9900 View Post
Thanks, I'll try it again. I know this is a pro web site and understand there's do's and don'ts, but did I miss something about where to ask certain things. Do I select that first from the RR forums page? Does RR always notify my by e-mail if there is a response? There could be questions in different forums and how would I know when and where to check for response?
jao9900
If you want to be notified of new posts in a thread you've posted on or interested in,at the top of each thread is "Thread Tools",click it and select "subscribe to this thread". As long as you have your email in your user cp,you should get notices of any new posts to the thread you subscribed to,to keep track of them. It's not that hard to find the right forum to post in,and in the event you posted where it should have been placed elsewhere,a moderator more than likely will move it where it belongs
Slow learner for wanting to play prog metal guitar....
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2010, 3:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nope. I did follow Mike's instructions and still no luck. Somebody apparantly managed to wipe the CPU software out of the scanner and it will not allow me to load the software via the update tool.

Tags
cpu 1.7 firmware, pro-106, pro-197